Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this thread.

Here 1080 is bought commercially prepared or injected into 100gram chunks of meat which can be camel, horse or roo or via a dosed oat seed pushed into a chunk of meat.

Often a roo carcass is dragged up tracks until it is on the verge of disintegration then the liver, kidneys or heart are laced with an oat seed.
Dogs follow the drag and then pig out on the offal.

Often Dingo's will turn their nose up at a bait but wild dogs don't seem to have learnt yet and will take it every time. A nasty nasty death.

The bush here is littered with pet dog graves and every single one could have be avoided with either a good muzzle or better still, by leaving your dog at home.

2 of the hardest bullets I've every fired were into the skulls of prospectors beloved pets. 8.(

I just joined today so not sure if this has been covered but in the situation your dog ingests some fox bait you can make them vomit by giving them salt water (carry some salt with you). This isnt a gauranteed cure but will definitely be better than nothing and will buy you time to get to a vet. Dogs can start hallucinating once poisoned and bite their owner so be careful if it starts acting weird.
Most places i have seen that use baits have signs warning of them but its best to avoid scrubby or dense areas with the dog. Obviously as others have said a muzzle is best

I see in another part of the forum the topic of baits has arisen so I thought I should post something up.
This is relevent to WA and I'm not sure about other states, though if your dog takes one the outcome is unfortunately the same.

Can you spot the bait? Rest assured your dog will.

0HUqUuz.jpg

This is a singular bait. At first glance they look just like a stick or rock.

zDK3ISo.jpg

We get them supplied by the Ag Dept by the 10's of kilos, litterally 1000's of baits and it only takes one to kill your dog.

This is one box of five that arrived yesterday.

5fI2isk.jpg

Wild dogs are a HUGE problem and a baiting program is on going all year, year in and year out. There is NEVER a safe time to have you dog run arround unprotected.

At the very minimum, ensure your dog has a muzzle. While not entirely bait proof it will avoid him being shot. The only way we can tell a domestic pet from a wild dog is if it is wearing a muzzle, and preferably with its owner.

In WA you need the pastoral lease holders permission to bring a dog onto a pastoral lease, even though it is crown land. Without permission you can be asked to leave.

It saddens me every year seeing visitors lose pets to baits, and I can't put into words how sick it makes me feel when they ask me to shoot it.

Thanks Madtuna, a very good post. I lost a mate to 1080 here in Qld, and no blame to the property holder who laid the bait. He did so with permission, and put up all the relevant signs. But problem is birds pick up the baits and drop them anywhere within a kilometer. so your dog might not go anywhere near the property, but can still get caught out. Keep this in mind.

Ran into a couple camped north of you tuna a cuppla yrs back,was camped north of the boundary but rode quad down for a look about one day,erlistoun proper maybe,where them shafts are right next to and cross the rd a bit,had a cuppa and a chat,they said oh if ya go over the rd to the old dozings theres a fresh hole with there friends dog in it,dont dig him up,no muzzle :(
Sadly they learnt the hard way ......

In the more populous farming areas of WA, fox baits can be in the form of hens eggs inoculated with 1080, which are safer for human handling than dried meat baits. These eggs are then buried (often near farm dams), where foxes can sniff them out, but they supposedly aren't a threat to native species and birds can't shift them. There's meant to be signage on nearby fences and gates, but you won't see any actual baits to warn/remind you of the danger lurking for your dog.

Agree, I hate baits with a passion and no animal feral or otherwise deserves to die like that.

Accept maybe feral cats and midgets and rangas and that guy who does the Youi ads ]:D

Hi folks, just arrived in Menzies area today and checked in with manager of Jeedamya station just north of Menzies. He advised he and staff will be laying baits this Friday over whole of station. We don't have pets with us but others may. Disturbingly he said I was the first to ring him for a long long time. it's important we touch base with station managers.

Just a heads up.

Aerial baiting has commenced and will be covering the entire Northern Gold Fields region.
Saturdays schedule covers Mt Weld, Sunrise Dam, Merolia, Mt Celia, Laverton area, Laverton Downs, Windarra, Erlistoun.

Latest posts