Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Grubstake not the best of reviews lol. Because the auto ground tracking is quite good on the machine and they keep running the GM over the top and sometimes holding it there it keeps discriminating the bit of lead out. Admittedly I've only used that machine for a short amount of time from a fellow PA member and great guy "Northeast" and his found plenty small stuff with it, and I even managed to find a tiny flat bit pictured below that wouldn't have trouble the scales and tiny compared to that lead shot bit, I personally found it a great little machine! In discrimination mode 1 I think it was and it still found bits of them lead a shot as well.
1500298994_img_0051.jpg

BigWave said:
RR. I've ignored your specious (false/misleading) arguments here thus far re:"But most fine Gold is normally just below the surface so you don't need Depth / Power, so no point in punching deeper."
This is totally based (IMO) in sophistry (clever but false arguments), so I haven't responded to your responses till now (I was going to ignore them - where others have responded), but it's gotten to the point where would-be Monster buyers could be misinformed.
The deeper that you can punch with intelligent feedback in all ground types the better - that's it!! Over and over!!
In some grounds like the GT and in WA where genuine reports say to "leave the Monster in the boot", then let those reports stand as actuals along with all the positive reports from the others in more benign areas. That way other potential buyers can make informed buying decisions without your specious spin.
Your responses seem like those from a Donald Trump campaign manager in knacker control mode after each of his Tweeter F#*k-ups.
Let's hear both sides without interruption from your constant ill-informed feedback and let's keep it factual!
I don't have a Monster (I do have a VLF), but do you?
Mods - kill this post if you please and I'll even go to the naughty corner.

BW lets just keep the personal stuff out of it Ok, There is just no need for it.

And No, I meant that most Gold that is found in the top few inches meaning that if it can be found with other machines then there is a good chance that it can be found with a VLF.

And Yes, I do own many VLFs and I have used them around the world in soils that range from mild to extreme, In lesser soils they will punch deep and in more mineralized they can loose 60 to 70% of their depth. And to get the best out of a VLF in such conditions I have coils from 6" Concentric which is a VLF's version of a Mono, right up to 15" Concentrics that will find targets that are many feet Deep and I have a full range of DD coils as well,

For more than 20 years people in Oz were more than happy to swing VLF machines before the SD2100 came along, and In fact the biggest Nugget on record ever found with a detector was found with A Garrett VLF, And VLF detectors have not stopped working just because someone invents a PI machine And as such Minelab have recognised the need for such a machine, So hats off to Minelab for coming up with the goods, Fair play to them.

Again, If the Gold is in the top 2 or 3 inches like many SDC finds often are ? Then most of those targets are within range of a VLF, ( IF ) the mineralization is not too extreme and the ground is not littered with Hot rocks but even they can be dealt with to some degree, and This is where the GM 1000 comes in to its own. Along with being light enough for the Wife an Kids to use along with those of us who are not fit enough to swing a 7 LB machines all day. Please note that does not include Me.

To have the best possible chance of finding Gold a wise prospector should own a PI and a LF machine and a VLF machine, and if Minelab are the preferred brand then that would include a 45/5k, the SDC and the GM 1000 and an X-terra, with the Zed being the Ultimate Objective.

Like any toolbox it has to contain more than a Shifter and a Hammer and a piece of plain wire, Theres a lot to be said for those things but they can't do it all.

RR.

The Monster is not a competitor nor, as per any VLF, in the same league as the PIs, or the Z. From my use it handles highly variable ground very well, it is a top gold VLF and an ideal complement for use in shallow trashy ground for those who know the power of the PIs and the Z.
For the beginner it is an ideal first gold detector for the experienced PI, Z user I repeat it complements them. To me it is the first VLF I have carried in my "armoury" since the heady days when VLFs were our only choice.

What separates the Monster from other gold VLFs is its lightening fast Auto GB and lightening fast Auto sensitivity modes, I am a very happy user.

Yes they do come in handy at times and other times they can be a curse, Hot rocks being one of them,

John.

grubstake said:
That's a "review"? :rolleyes: More like a lesson in how NOT to operate an auto VLF detector, IMHO!
:lol: Did ya catch the bit where they say something like to the left is all rubbish like aluminium ring pulls - to the right is more likely gold. The dude with the monster says yeah ferrous or non ferrous :lol: What do you call a deer with no eyes?
The gold probability meter seems to have a few confused.

I was intrigued by the 'switch on and go' magic ground balance system, as demonstrated in the video review (/sarcasm), so I went looking on the Minelab website for a GM1000 User Guide/Instruction Manual. Sadly, it looks like this woefully inadequate document is all that buyers get with the new machine: :N:
Gold Monster 1000 - Getting Started Guide

Attention all GM1000 buyers without prior Minelab auto VLF experience (XT series, Eureka Gold, XTerra 705, etc):
Do yourself a favour and carefully read Jonathan Porter's enlightening Minelab Treasure Talk article Mastering the GOLD MONSTER 1000 before operating the machine in the field (and reread it again afterwards too - it's full of valuable, pertinent info):
http://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/mastering-the-gold-monster-1000

Likewise, the Treasure Talk article Understanding the Sensitivity Control on the GOLD MONSTER 1000:
http://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minel...-sensitivity-control-on-the-gold-monster-1000

I reckon both of these invaluable articles should be included in a supplementary GOLD MONSTER 1000 Field Manual from Minelab, ASAP!

Yes, it is a pretty basic manual. I suppose for a pretty basic detector. But you are right, if you have never used a VLF (like me) a bit more in-depth info would be handy.

And yes, print out and read the treasure talk info a few times. As always JP adds heaps of info that isn't in the manual. I have made a whole new 'manual' from JPs posts about the GPZ. I think it's better than the original :D :D

Getting a few conflicting reviews. Maybe as mentioned above the documentation is lacking which will cause a few problems.
Time will tell. Looks like a great machine and reads well. So far the jury is out until more reviews and evidence.

HoudiniHarry said:
Getting a few conflicting reviews. Maybe as mentioned above the documentation is lacking which will cause a few problems.
Time will tell. Looks like a great machine and reads well. So far the jury is out until more reviews and evidence.

It needs no more documentation. A bloody 5 year old could nut it out in a few minutes.

Why don't you buy one and use it Harry? You seem pretty keen on everyone else's thoughts on the Monster.

The evidence will be proven within twenty minutes of using it.

The Jury came back a long time ago.

The unit is guilty of being a dog.

Well I think any issues are more related to learning the Machine or the skill of the user or the lack there of, Any of the more skilled users have done very will with the GM even in hot ground others have had success with the GM,

ADMIN EDIT: Comments deleted under the following rules:

Posts are to be on topic and written with the intent to make a positive contribution to the discussion.
Posts which are of an offensive nature will be removed without notice

There was nothing making a positive contribution in the removed comments.

Ramjet

A couple of posts removed as they did not make sense after I edited the post above. Keep it civil and make positive contributions please. Random accusations do not help anyone.

Thanks

Ramjet

Minelab have not loaded the airwaves/ internet with wonderful stories about the GM, they have released it and are letting the public make up their own minds, I think it is more fun this way and it makes way for many different views,

I could name every top performing Detector and people have complained about them all, The GM is no different, some love it others don't, I have 2 minor gripes but overall I like it and from what I see puts my gripes on hold.

John.

Latest posts