Optima Batteries Anyone using them ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fooling with my Truck battery and I have just bought a 115Amp / 1000 CCA Heavy Duty Leisure Battery, I was first going to buy a 135 AH / 1000 CCA for it but the weight is a killer, So then I thought about AGM Batteries and then I started looking at Optima Batteries, But they get a bit confusing because there are Blue, Red and Yellow ones Some that don't have really high Amps have Lower CCA's and the ones with the Average Amps have Higher CCA's,

I remember when Optima came out in Oz but not many folks used them, but it seems like the 4WD Accessory shops love them, But I am wanting to fit 2 extra batteries in the back of my truck to run the fridge freezer etc,

So I am wondering what you guys make of all these,

Thanks in advance,

John.

Not really sure about 'Optima' specifically, (I did look at them when I put auxillary's in my ute, but they seemed to be 'hybreds', trying to do both starting and auxillary, so I went with a 'normal' AGM, but I didn't go into it too deeply) but for auxillary power the CCA's is not needed, I believe batteries with high CCA dont like long slow battery draw, and visa versa.

cairnspom said:
Not really sure about 'Optima' specifically, (I did look at them when I put auxillary's in my ute, but they seemed to be 'hybreds', trying to do both starting and auxillary, so I went with a 'normal' AGM, but I didn't go into it too deeply) but for auxillary power the CCA's is not needed, I believe batteries with high CCA dont like long slow battery draw, and visa versa.

Yeah I was the same about them, seen em for years but not sure whether to take the plunge, I have that new 115 Amp /1000cca for the truck starter but I was going to add 2 X 135Amp x 1100cca to feed my gadgets etc or if I can find some big uns I would not mind going over to AGM's, The 115 I got has a 5 year warranty so that's a bonus,

I got the Fridge freezer and a thermo cooler and a 9500 Winch so I want a bit of power in reserve, coz I had my starter battery die on the weekend and I didn't get home til 3am, lol, So I want to bullet proof my electrics,

Thanks mate.

John.

I have a yellow top optima cranking battery and a century 100ah AGM aux in my 4wd
Has been a good combo.
Apparently the optimas can be cycled like a deep cycle battery due the the spiralled lead construction, can be purchased off big sellers on Ebay for really good prices.

Reeks said:
I have a yellow top optima cranking battery and a century 100ah AGM aux in my 4wd
Has been a good combo.
Apparently the optimas can be cycled like a deep cycle battery due the the spiralled lead construction, can be purchased off big sellers on Ebay for really good prices.

Sounds good, One of the thing that is bugging me is the weight of the batteries that I am thinking of fitting, the 135amp weighs 28kgs and the 115amp weighs 24.5kg's where as the Optima's weigh between 17 and 18 kgs, plus the physical size of the things, I know the Optima's are AGM's too, where my battery is a heavy plate lead/acid.

Thanks,

John.

G'Day
i bought 2 yellow optima 75 amp hour batteries on ebay for $400 , they are about $400 each, new, and weight a ton, from what I read they are more deep cycle that cranking batteries , they are true agm work in any position no acid spillage look at the rear site for charger rates etc need at least 180 watt solar panel to charge it and run the fridge during the day

The Optima batteries are about 6 to 7 kgs lighter than my 115Amp deep cycle battery, I wish the Optima batteries had more horsepower, On average they cost about 50% than a normal deep cycle battery, and the one I just took out of my truck is dated 10-02-2009 which is not a bad life span for a lead acid battery.

John.

Had a optima red top in the jeep since i got it, 45,000 kms and 4 years, never an issue, spent 4 weeks away O/s a couple of times and it fires straight away.

Eski said:
Had a optima red top in the jeep since i got it, 45,000 kms and 4 years, never an issue, spent 4 weeks away O/s a couple of times and it fires straight away.

Sounds good, The Red ones are the starting batteries and the yellow are their deep cycle and the blue are their marine/duel purpose, The prices vary depending where you go, I have seen them for about $250 to $325.00. So at the bare minimum they are about 50% more than a normal deep cycle battery up to about 100% more. so there must be something good about them.

John.

From what I understand when I was looking at them, the Red was for vehicles, Blue for marine use and Yellow was more like a deep cycle battery from memory.

Latest posts