do you think a 2300 would find this??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was panning yesterday in an area that i wouldnt thought any gold would be. there no history on that area and no old timers digging around.
but i thought while i was bush walking ill take a few samples and pan it out where i find water.

i found 15 flakes.
biggest is in these pictures.
1499986752_20170710_131650.jpg

1499986806_20170710_131701.jpg

so since i dont have scales any more so i dont know the weight. do you guys think a 2300 would find some thing this size??

I'd be keeping the location to myself that's for sure!
How big was the sample size?
Work your way back up the bed, do a bit of loaming then bingo! Maybe you and mt will be comparing hauls...
:Y:

location is a secret.
and trust me not easy to get to or for any un fit person was over an hour walk one way.

sample size was a 20kg sample from a few areas I was thinking might gold if there was gold around.

SDC would pull it up no problems. We quite often find pieces about a quarter of that size that will just fit on the tip of the Echidnas nose on the 5c, though as Dam It mentioned the depth -and ground mineralisation- will govern the outcome.

Great piece for a test sample though! All the best with it :Y:
Cheers,
Shauno.

most of that gold was from in a crack in the bed rock bout 10cm deep. so a 2300 would pick it up.

I plan to spend the weekend cleaning out a few of the cracks this weekend to see if any more gold is in that spot.
will keep you posted...

not going to be easy work getting out there after a little bit of rain we have had but ill camp the night out there and try to get as much as I can proceed

SDC can get bits that size and smaller if it is shallow, as others have said it depends on depth. I've got bits with the SDC that weigh 0.00. It is also surprising what the SDC misses. I've been over ground with SDC and then sluiced/panned it and got bits the SDC should have got, but were probably too deep. 10cm deep on a bit that size I think you'd be pushing it.

22shells said:
SDC can get bits that size and smaller if it is shallow, as others have said it depends on depth. I've got bits with the SDC that weigh 0.00. It is also surprising what the SDC misses. I've been over ground with SDC and then sluiced/panned it and got bits the SDC should have got, but were probably too deep. 10cm deep on a bit that size I think you'd be pushing it.

0.00 how did that happen??? I know the 2300 is good but this is surprising, maybe time for a new set of scales

Yes we get a few that weight 0.00 but if you place another on the scales first to get a reading then you can calculate the difference. They usually end up being 0.02-0.04g however they are much smaller than that one. At 100mm you are more likely to get it with a 4500 or 5000 and the right coil.

RM Outback said:
22shells said:

0.00 how did that happen??? I know the 2300 is good but this is surprising, maybe time for a new set of scales
Nothing wrong with the scales, that's just what it said. Just the standard electronic ones that everyone uses. I could weigh on my reloading powder scales which might give a reading.

I went to bendigo over the weekend 15-16 /07/17 to minlabe to get my 2300 checked.they weren't sure it was right as was getting a fare bit of touch niose .
So went out of town a bit to some diggings and lucky to meet a couple of blokes who both had 23s but with a few modes booster npatch lead set ups .and I asked if they could give me a few pionters and wisdom they where very helpfull on setting up initial start up .
But to the piont I only found a couple of small 1 gramers over two half days and a lot of junk and lead shot miners must have had a war over diggings ;-) .these bloke are finding 0.5gramers and larger 5 tops and had the goods to prove it once they felt they could trust me and showed me .
I was starting to get a bit disillusioned with detecting of late .they siad they use muffs all the time and go low slow and dig the fantised signals .it all in practice , they are happy find 2-5 grams a day me well I want to retire so im not as patient

Moneybox said:
Yes we get a few that weight 0.00 but if you place another on the scales first to get a reading then you can calculate the difference. They usually end up being 0.02-0.04g however they are much smaller than that one. At 100mm you are more likely to get it with a 4500 or 5000 and the right coil.
Out of curiosity I weighed the smallest one I know I've found with the SDC on the powder scales. It said 0.4 grains. 1 grain is 0.0648 grams, so that converts to 0.02592 grams. So almost nothing.