Eldorado 2 tier sluice! Mods?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother

Rob Tingay
Reaction score
Gday all, I got the Eldorado 2 tier sluice last week, to mod to Hibanker, pump, pipe, bends and bits, put together all works great! (Sorry no photo cant figure it out.) :8

Well after 2 days running in a good gold creek I thought ide try my other sluice on the end to check my tailings!(A bit late I know) You could not imagine my horror to find at least 20 good size flake! 0.4g!
The heavy material has been going under mating and straight out under the carpet!! The carpet catches the uber fine but the big specks go under?
Worked one bank for day 1 then moved as the pickings were just very fine and only about 0.4g, and about 0.5 again at the next spot.
So I moved again up to a spot I know that gives up specks and small pickers, and added the extra sluice to see! Pulled 0.6 from HB and 0.4 from extra sluice 1g for a day aint to bad? I am half broken, and working hard is not me!

Angle and water flow is spot on! So it has to be??
Gota go over 2 days tailings!! :mad:

Some of you may have or have used this model? Did you have to upgrade/change stuff?? Its a great unit, but needs work straight outa the box or you may suffer the loss like me! 8.(
It need adjustable legs! Any info plz
Like, Wider expanded mesh? Miners moss? Door strip stuff to slot carpet in? V mat?

Thanks in advance, or just for reading my rant, im tired and stiff.

Brother.

I have very little experience but do a lot of research. if your high banker is letting gold pass thru and your Sluice is catching almost as much then I believe your high banker is not set up correctly.
If you do your research you will see that a correctly setup sluice or high banker should catch most of the gold in the top 2 thirds to 3 1/4. There shoud be no or very little gold at the exit end of your high banker or sluice.

Don't know this sluice.
When running mine for very fine gold I need to reduce the angle. Usually test pan, then run the sluice flatout so it retains nothing for a couple of shovels and back off until rifles are retaining just a tiny bit of blond. I'm using Gold Hog mat now but it used to work with the blue miners mat. If the mat is not almost clean there are no holes to let the gold drop.
It seems a lot of manufacturers overstate the capture percentage, if you are close to 90% that is good. 6:4 is not a good ratio, check no flutter in the mat as it shakes the gold free, no easy path for escape. Check no surge in water supply & ensure the sluice is level across the flow path, a level helps but you can see by flow depth. Talk to supplier/manufacturer. Best of luck, let us know what you find.

i used to use backed ultimat miners moss like Wal's highbankers but as i find it hard to clean i am moving to unbacked miners moss sitting on top of Vee ribbed matting

be careful ! there are two kinds of ribbed matting , one has shallow ribs about 1.6 mm deep and the other is approx 2.6 - 2.8 mm deep

compare them all when you're at the shop

i sit my mats over a large plastic tub and find the unbacked miners moss cleans well by blasting it from the back with a hose on "shower mode" whereas the backed one still retains particles of gravel and MY gold

If you're using "Coarse" backed moss and you roll it upside down in a bucket it will drop out every bit of gold and black sand with only a few sideways rolls, plus no gold can get underneath it. Never had a problem myself in thousands of cleanups. ;)

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
If you're using "Coarse" backed moss and you roll it upside down in a bucket it will drop out every bit of gold and black sand with only a few sideways rolls, plus no gold can get underneath it. Never had a problem myself in thousands of cleanups. ;)

Cheers Wal.

maybe the matting i got from bunnings is the fine one ?

i didnt see it available in coarse

The coarser one only comes in the larger version ( 900 x 600 ). The smaller ones are much finer and no where near as good.The coarse one is almost identical in weave to the original un-backed miners moss available from prospecting shops.

The greatest thing about this mat is you can run faster water speeds, and once the gold reaches the backing that's where it stays....it doesn't go under the box or over the end. ;)

Gold Hog mats work very well too...but make sure you classify all "Flat" rocks out of the box, as these "will" suck fine gold along with them as they slide over the mat......have witnessed this on several occasions. ;)

Cheers Wal.

One more thought
I can't see anything to stop the bubbles which helps the fine gold sink in the water column and into the mat. Bubbles will carry fine gold and can be extreme depending on water quality. (Further info see protein skimmer or foam fractionators in an aquarium forum). A rubber flap may also help.

1382558721_imag0201.jpg

Wal
Just 100% correct!!
Gold Hog mats work very well too...but make sure you classify all "Flat" rocks out of the box, as these "will" suck fine gold along with them as they slide over the mat......have witnessed this on several occasions. ;)

Big thanks guys, ill try a few picks today? To show.

The riffle bar and mesh does not hold the blue carpet down at top of sluice, about 3-4mm gap, so as the water drops it lifts the carpet that few mill and off goes my hard work!

Please don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of research into this, but the one thing I missed was the little detail of the sluice! Angle is about 24-26% could be more!, and water is at 215-220ltpm if anything a bit slow?

I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

1382561679_eldorado_2__45610_zoom.jpg

This is the offender, Ok set up at a good price, just needs a good moding!

hi guys, I hav a rubber flap on mine which helps with bubbles but still get a fair bit forming....would love to get my hands on some goldhog mat, looks good but hav no idea were to get it :( .

Tige said:
hi guys, I hav a rubber flap on mine which helps with bubbles but still get a fair bit forming....would love to get my hands on some goldhog mat, looks good but hav no idea were to get it :( .

you can only buy it from the states from goldhog themselves but they wanted $ 120 shipping when i enquired

be aware that their matting requires about double the water flow of other highbankers

i would apparently need minimum 6500 GPH for a 12 inch wide unit

Brother said:

The riffle bar and mesh does not hold the blue carpet down at top of sluice, about 3-4mm gap, so as the water drops it lifts the carpet that few mill and off goes my hard work!

Please don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of research into this, but the one thing I missed was the little detail of the sluice! Angle is about 24-26% could be more!, and water is at 215-220ltpm if anything a bit slow?

I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

Hey Mate
With the angle do you mean 24-26 deg or %? if % then that is too much you need to work on 1" fall per 1' sluice length then make fine adjustments from there
cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
Brother said:

Hey Mate
With the angle do you mean 24-26 deg or %? if % then that is too much you need to work on 1" fall per 1' sluice length then make fine adjustments from there
cheers
Lee

some styles of riffle can have as much as 3.5 inches fall per foot of sluice , goldhog mats use only 8 or 9 degrees fall but higher flow rate , angus mckirk sluices use a fairly low angle , around 1 inch per foot depending on water flow.