Gully' reports from Bendigo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDE have to say all of the above. I've been back to spots I've thought IDE done to death but still find a few.

Gully said:
Thanks for all the replies all, if only Bendigo was not built over the goldfields and no one shot lead all around the place!! Snuck out tonight for the last hour of light and the targets were coming though so clear in the same spot I have been over once before. Ended up staying 3 hours whilst picking up small gold for 9 pieces and 7 pieces of lead, thought they were pretty good odds! After tonight it still makes me wonder about how the sdc performs on different days https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10236/1499254409_img_0048.jpgand conditions, tonight I did not move 5 meters at a spot I have hammered over the last few weeks picking up a few bits here and there. It's either the weather conditions, wet clay, sdc performance inconsistency or luck?? Let me know your thoughts!

Gully that's one of the problems with a fully automatic machine. The only way you know what sort of performance you're getting on the day is by reading the results. We often work in ground where there is little or no lead or other rubbish and unless you're actually detecting gold you just have to hope it's performing on the day.

On one particular day Mrs M dropped a 1g nugget right by the coil on top of the ground. She only had it long enough to hear the weight hit the plastic spade while she threw the handful of dirt in and saw a tiny bit of colour. As she picked it from the spade it dropped into the marble sized gravel but it was the same colour as the red soil. I found her in tears searching for it. The SDC couldn't locate it less than 20mm away. I told her to leave it I'd find it later. I came back with her after a cuppa and slowly dragged the coil through the gravel on edge until it hit the nugget and I couldn't believe it was as big as she said. It was really hot soil and in the heat of the day and the SDC had detuned its self to handle the soil but seemed to be operating as normal.

It the same conditions the manually adjusted machine was noisy but at least you knew what it was it was doing.

I agree moneybox, went back tonight for an hour after work and signals were so faint compared to last night. I did manage 2 bits but lost 2. Last night was a really clear night, tonight was overcast and rain coming in, detector was warberly.
1499336960_img_0061.jpg

1499336960_img_0062.jpg

4 small bits this afternoon and about 20 bits of lead. Nice sunny arvo spent outside scratching around. Sdc was a bit over the place so I tried sitting it the ground every now and then leaving in on whilst I enjoyed a cuppa, seemed to work. I feel I am getting more consistent every time I go out
1499502783_img_0071.jpg

Out early, back early this morning. Struggled to find anything bar lead and could only just hear that so I changed sensitivity up one then bang straight on to a few bits. Happy to find the last bit as it was around 4 inches deep in vertical shail at .13 of a gram.
1499557317_img_0085.jpg

graybeard77 said:
grubstake said:
nucopia said:
Very nice finds Gully,
thats whats so interesting with specimens , they all have a different and unique character no two are ever the same.
i have been doing some research on Bendigo, interesting place much of the city is built on old working and many of the rest seem to be on privare property or closed off .. Still its a challenge to find some where that might be worth a look.
:Y:

Welcome to Victoria's Golden Triangle! Ballarat's just as bad as Bendigo in that respect and Maryborough's more of the same.

Back in the 1850's gold rush days, miners with rich alluvial claims didn't want to leave them unattended (unguarded), so their tents and shacks were put up alongside the workings and shops, pubs, banks, etc., sprang up in close proximity, to service the diggers' needs. When the alluvial rush dwindled, more shops, houses and streets filled in the gaps, as the population stabilised, with big underground gold mines needing plenty of labour and supplies for decades more. There's got to be some amazing riches buried underneath all the bitumen, lawns, shops, houses and factories that today cover those old diggings.

I've been inside the mine with a group of seniors, it's like an ants nest. The tunnels go for miles in all directions and there are levels and levels of them.I've also seen the super hard rock that they mine. There is more to finding gold than just swinging a dector' So much work for such little gain...... Graybeard

"So much work for such little gain" - a bit confused, not Bendigo surely, that produced 22 million ounces or more?. Or are you referring to the latest mining effort at Central Deborah that only produced about $50 million (a lot less than spent on it). If so, there were not many new tunnels in the latest effort, just the decline and a few drives - it produced a lot more in the past from the old shafts and tunnels that it sits within.

Pretty amazing those old shafts and tunnels were dug by hand, it's a different world ago. If we were to try anything like that these days it would be impossible with all the OH&S red tape, just makes it not viable. Having fun all the same covering the ground the old timers hammered imagining what it would have been like. Surely they couldn't of found all the easy shallow yellow???????

Thanks Les, sure did especially when the last bit was pretty much sitting on top. Looking forward to getting back there now

Latest posts