Difference between Mono and DD coils? When to use?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G0lddigg@ said:
Basically the sd series was designed to run with a dd they are extremely loud and sensitive so mono being a more sensitive coil will bring in alot more information /noise. Dds have noise cancelling characteristics and the ability to discriminate in the 2200d and forward minelab pi series.

Theres a great article by jack Lange check it out
http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/jlange/confusion.html

thanx mate

G0lddigg@ said:
Basically the sd series was designed to run with a dd they are extremely loud and sensitive so mono being a more sensitive coil will bring in alot more information /noise. Dds have noise cancelling characteristics and the ability to discriminate in the 2200d and forward minelab pi series.

Theres a great article by jack Lange check it out
http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/jlange/confusion.html

Sorry
But I have to disagree/ clarify some misleading info.
The SD series is not extremely loud? the reason I find this misleading is that the SD detectors are notorious for having a poor audio level, requiring a signal booster to get the best results & enable you to hear the small targets.
SD 's were not known as sensitive detectors, so you will miss small shallow nuggets!

When you refer to noise cancelling characteristics, this needs to be clarified to reduce confusion, a DD coil handle high mineralisation better than a Mono therefore there will be less noise in regard to the audio & this is due to a reduction in ground noise being included in the audio response. There is no adjustment to reduce EMI other than the tune function.

Your mono will find you Gold as long as you are not getting overwhelmed by ground noise, if the ground makes the detector moan & groan constantly go for the DD, I use an SD2200d as my main unit & use a 14" NF mono & recently tried a Coiltek older DD 14" which made a big difference in some hot ground.
cheers
Lee

Misleading thats a bit much :) you refer to sensitive as small gold i refer to sensitive as being abke to hear metal at good depths. And absolutely the sd series was loud in feedback. The technology hasnt changed much just us being able to reduce noise from the existing techology by using soil timings SETA and variable frequencies which in my opinion is noise.

will my mono find gold.
Yes but as Lee says in the right ground. The SD2000 & SD2100 were in fact supplied with mono coils but you will find most in Australia would have found the DD to offer more stability in a wider variety of conditions thus they became coils of choice for most SD users, not so much that the SD was designed specifically for DD's. And in saying that there were a lot who swore by the supplied 18" mono dust bin lid on both & the 8" mono on the 2100.
Being new to detecting & IMO a DD will serve you better until you are more comfortable with the detector Ben but if a mono is all you have & you find it ok where you detect don't sweat on it. A mono can give better sensitivity to small gold & more depth but if you are suffering with ground noise then it's pretty inconsequential anyway & a DD may be required.
Like Lee I also used a mono coil on a SD2200D which I found ok in a some places but not all. Both the standard Minelab 11" DD & Coiltek 14" DD pro elite ran well in pretty much most places.
I used to be pro on using a mono all the time but over time have come to realise there is definitely advantages in using a DD where conditions dictate especially on, but not limted to, older machines.

G0lddigg@ said:
Basically the sd series was designed to run with a dd

just reread my own statement here... they weren't designed for dd they were designed with a mono wrong words sorry. DD's seemed to run alot better for me in the GT .

yes your mono will find gold :) you just have to find where we left it...

hi there i have a gpx4500 it comes with the 11" dd and mono whats better for the gt? in factory settings and how deep do they go thanks

The DD is mostly used where there's interference which will shut down a mono. Can also improve performance in noisy ground (so I've heard).
Under normal conditions in the GT, you'll get improved detecting performance (size and depth) with the mono.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/LTI-PsNr0No[/video]Have a loot at Nugget Magnets video on you tube..They work very well..with a gme speaker on your shoulder and no rooster booster..These settings will be a lot noisy than factory settings but will find a lot more gold..don't use headphones with these settings..too much noise..I use fixed tracking but might try tracking next time it may run quieter in tracking..

Do you bury targets like a sinker and play with them out in the field or can you do it at home? i haven't turned mine on at home yet

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if this coil is a mono or a DD please?

Thanks.

Al.

1560075045_65bf6f65-eb52-49dd-93d8-28297766aa18.jpg

1560075045_2cfd7a64-f5d7-4188-bec0-6c2c589c4a3c.jpg

Latest posts