Oh geez!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Tuna said:
need a ball mill
I havent got a ball mill, But I,ve got a rod mill that is continuous feed just a bit bulky for portability in the back of the ute is all. The rod mill just uses rods instead of balls to grind and the drum has an end discharge. Ball mill could be made out of an old gas bottle and get some 1.1/2 inch and smaller balls from your friends at the mine.

Northeast said:
I think we all need a video of this Jethro thumbsup thumbsup
Ill see what I can do.

With the distance and terrian issues dropping a small crusher and some basic supplies at the site with a chopper would be my idea , get a trusty mate to drop you in and pick you up a couple of days later and only bring gold home instead of rock.
But it loosens your sercurity in many ways , from the pilot knowing the exact location and if anyone is watching you to jump your claim the chopper would be easy to watch from a very long distance . Even dropping you and supplies 1 klm away narrows claim jumpers search area.
If you could fly yourself and drop some gear then hike in after that would be the only secure way , i wish i had your problem :D :Y:

Will I help with some more peripheral nitty gritty ?
madtuna, you said you got 4oz from 1&1/2kg
so, we also worked out that 40 litres of diesel weighs about the same as the rock you carried out, around 34kg ,.... for ease of calculation I'm gunna round that down to 33kg .
Here goes
ratio
1&1/2kg to 4oz
multiply
1.5kg22
1499510360_screenshot_2017-07-08-20-31-03.jpg

so we got to our 33kg mark by multiplying 22
So thats our ratio in this instance
So ,... 4oz 22 is our aim
1499510604_screenshot_2017-07-08-20-31-28.jpg

So, we now have 88 conventional oz's
lets convert to Troy
1499510821_screenshot_2017-07-08-20-30-16.jpg

So ,..... looking like you carried out 80oz's of the yellow stuff already.
and that's a payday !
Right there !
:Y: :p :Y:

Silver I honestly don't think this post is about $ and cents..and I think Madtuna was very good to share his find with this forum..but it's about finding the yellow and the excitement of that find..and I don't think he needs all the advice he has been given..I don't think it's our buisness to speculate on other people's business..

You may be right , but its a public forum , so you take what you get , for us who cant get out at the moment, fantasizing about the ways of digging or doing the numbers helps settle the cabin fever . Imo.

Did silver take it a tad far , Probably :Y: but it was still on topic.

I thought gold fever was so much more than just about the colour though Baldy, I honestly thought it had an element in there about how much it was worth and the imagination that flared with it about what you could buy or do with that bonanza of wealth ,........... but, I'm pretty sure that madtuna would know that I would harbour no offence at all if he wants my posts removed, I'm easy either way mate. :D

I think most of us have done the math. I certainly did. It's all part of the search and thrill of what you find. I'm sure most of us dream of the retirement nugget or patch. Just my opinion.
All very exciting for MT, and I wish him all the luck as I'm sure all PA members do. Cheers

Now Silver I've been following this thread with keen interest but the $$$$ never really entered my head. I've been thinking about a small patch that I believe would be as close to a virgin patch as I'm likely to find. We'd already ventured as far into new country as we could easily drive although there was still evidence of early prospectors being there. After walking a further 600m we found fragments of coloured glass, rusty cans and some nice little nuggets. I had worked along a rocky drop-off with the 4500 while Mrs M was picking up tiny stuff on the sloping area above me. When we started to get too close for the SDC to behave well I took a walk further up the valley.

1499864383_gold_detecting.jpg

There was no sign of more glass or scrap metal but on a small almost flat inside corner of the gully I picked up a small specimen of gold in ironstone. I've been looking for a photo but I can't find it. The piece was only about 15mm long with specs of gold sticking out one side. The next morning we packed lunch and headed up there with the SDC as well. I found two more little specimens on this triangular patch about 50m x 30m x 30m with the 4500 and 14" Elite. To my surprise the SDC found nothing but it was difficult going amongst the spinifex about 500mm high.

1499865691_sitting_in_the_shade.jpg

After battling through the morning with little success we stopped for lunch in the bit of available shade and then headed back. What I found is nothing like what you got madtuna but the spot appeared to be totally undisturbed. I just wonder now what would come of it if I was to go back and dolly a bit of the loose rock off that patch. I didn't find any nuggets but the three little rocks all showed points of exposed gold.

I don't know if I can talk Mrs M into the walk again but it might be worth another visit..... :p

OzzieAu said:
What's Sandra got the rope for Phil ? Does she need to tether you to a tree so you don't wander too far.. lol. :)

Bondage comes immediately to mind but in reality it's only during my dreams ;) Some of the little water falls up this creek are quite difficult to scale so I climb up first and secure a rope to lift the gear up and help her up safely. It's not impossible to work your way around but the hills are rocky, steep and loose.

Moneybox said:
Now Silver I've been following this thread with keen interest but the $$$$ never really entered my head. I've been thinking about a small patch that I believe would be as close to a virgin patch as I'm likely to find. We'd already ventured as far into new country as we could easily drive although there was still evidence of early prospectors being there. After walking a further 600m we found fragments of coloured glass, rusty cans and some nice little nuggets. I had worked along a rocky drop-off with the 4500 while Mrs M was picking up tiny stuff on the sloping area above me. When we started to get too close for the SDC to behave well I took a walk further up the valley.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1499864383_gold_detecting.jpg

There was no sign of more glass or scrap metal but on a small almost flat inside corner of the gully I picked up a small specimen of gold in ironstone. I've been looking for a photo but I can't find it. The piece was only about 15mm long with specs of gold sticking out one side. The next morning we packed lunch and headed up there with the SDC as well. I found two more little specimens on this triangular patch about 50m x 30m x 30m with the 4500 and 14" Elite. To my surprise the SDC found nothing but it was difficult going amongst the spinifex about 500mm high.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/3960/1499865691_sitting_in_the_shade.jpg

After battling through the morning with little success we stopped for lunch in the bit of available shade and then headed back. What I found is nothing like what you got madtuna but the spot appeared to be totally undisturbed. I just wonder now what would come of it if I was to go back and dolly a bit of the loose rock off that patch. I didn't find any nuggets but the three little rocks all showed points of exposed gold.

I don't know if I can talk Mrs M into the walk again but it might be worth another visit..... :p
If you can talk the talk and bring about a return visit, maybe take a couple if good magnets and some quality plastic sheet to cover them with ,... might be worthwhile collecting some ironstone with the magnets for a dolly up from close to the top of your triangular patch area ,... it'd be an easy way to gather just the iron stone for testing as the gold the old boys got may have been the easy stuff down further where it was concentrated over millennia, but you'se may be able to trace it back to where it's been shedding from all that time ,... maybe there is no ironstone up higer, or further up the creek either, that may help you to narrow down the search a little too.
They say that every patch has an equivalent amount of fines as it does nuggets ,.. just imagine all those detected patches with their holes filled in properly with the fines all still just sitting there from the early days of detecting right up until yesterdays patches were cleared out too. Good luck on the search MB.
:Y: O:) :Y:

You know MadTuna I've always got the impression from your posts that you're a good bloke and as such this find is very well deserved. I'm stoked for you. Having said that I hope I dont read another post from you until all that's left in that ground is a horseshoe with an engraving stating 'madtuna was here' and everything you've extracted is securely banked!
Ripper find. Hope it's the first of many and I hope it makes you comfortably wealthy but also hope that it doesn't change you. I know it won't :)

Latest posts