ADVICE ON BUILDING HIGHBANKER ( RIFFLES... )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day banker builders, hope everyone's been finding a bit of yellow.
I'm looking for any tips on building riffles. Had a good look through here but would love to get a bit more info from you mob.
The sluice box I'm planning will be 250 x 1000 with a folding section at the end that will be another 500.
I'm looking to build the riffle section 1000 long and thinking about welding the riffles to the expanded mesh itself, although some riffle setups I have seen allow a small gap at the bottom of the riffle..?
Any pictures of materials used, costs involved, and ways you've done it would be a big help!
Below are pictures of the header box I knocked up, still need to tidy up the edges. It's 700 x 220. Tools used were drill, pop rivet gun, clamps, angle grinder, hammer and a home made brake press that sucks. Cost was $10 for rivet gun and rivets, and $10 for the scrap metal, which will build the rest as well.
Hopefully someone can sort us out. Thanks NUGS :Y:

1499763342_header_box.jpg

1499763645_header_2.jpg

1499763697_header_3_.jpg

Thanks for that Jemba, haven't seen these before! The Clarkson Study looks great!
Sorry if this has all been covered, any links to 1m long riffle builds would be appreciated. :Y:

Got the idea to weld straight onto the expanded steel from one of your posts I think 20xwater, have you tried this way yet?

NUGS MONEY said:
Got the idea to weld straight onto the expanded steel from one of your posts I think 20xwater, have you tried this way yet?

well I have had discussions elsewhere on this and got given the same advice/links you have. its hard to argue with thoroughly tested physics but I spose
it depends on if you like to go alone and experiment and possibly make an accidental discovery in the process.
these matts that are available, I can see they work beautiful but the problem for me personaly is that I didn't build them. the best part of highbanking is
the fun of building it, excersising your creativity and testing it to see if it works and if it doesn't learning why not.

if your focus is on the gold itself only then slap it together and run some dream matt :cool:

20xwater said:
NUGS MONEY said:

well I have had discussions elsewhere on this and got given the same advice/links you have. its hard to argue with thoroughly tested physics but I spose
it depends on if you like to go alone and experiment and possibly make an accidental discovery in the process.
these matts that are available, I can see they work beautiful but the problem for me personaly is that I didn't build them. the best part of highbanking is
the fun of building it, excersising your creativity and testing it to see if it works and if it doesn't learning why not.

if your focus is on the gold itself only then slap it together and run some dream matt :cool:

A lot are of the opinion that there's no point in trying to reinvent the wheel but I dissagree. If you have the time, resources and a great idea just run with it. There's nothing more satisfying than creating something all on your own. Even if it doesn't work perfectly from the start you'll learn much more than you will following a proven design.

20xwater said:
NUGS MONEY said:

Cheers 20x! Nicely clarified!
I love the creative process, whatever it is. This is my first time really playing with metal and I'm having fun doing it! Gold is on the mind though, I wont lie. It's taking me longer than I thought to get together the amount of gold I need for what I want to do with it.
Hoping the banker speeds things up a bit ;) I am a bit impatient, which may explain a few crooked edges and rivets. Maybe I should just get a dream mat ;)
Yeah guys the dream mat looks great hey, I would probably just grab one if I had the money but I'm stuck trying to get away with the build for under the price of a mat!
Cheers guys! :Y:

Moneybox said:
A lot are of the opinion that there's no point in trying to reinvent the wheel but I dissagree. If you have the time, resources and a great idea just run with it. There's nothing more satisfying than creating something all on your own. Even if it doesn't work perfectly from the start you'll learn much more than you will following a proven design.

Thanks for your motivating and reassuring words there Moneybox! Can't hurt to try hey? Well I reckon it does, but they're just growing pains ;)
Thanks again, and to every one else. :Y:

If the riffle is on top of the expanded instead of welded flush with the bottom (cut the expanded) then you risk blowing your concentrates out from under the riffle unless it is sealed to the base of the sluice. If the expanded is small it may seal enough with carpet etc. but with larger expanded with large holes then you'll blow it out. Tath posted a bit on this subject if you search and was successful with a small gap below the riffle.

They're great documents that Jemba provided and they do specify separate riffle and expanded sections so take note of the water required to drive them and the reasons why they're separated and their gold size target. Mixing riffles with expanded might result in neither working at full efficiency. Keep in mind the height of the expanded/riffle is reduced as the underlying carpet/moss etc. enroaches into its space until it performs poorly. The thing to realise also is that those studies document the designs for large scale operations compared to banking. They take into account slurry concentrations so as to not overload the sluice.
Jon

blisters said:
If the riffle is on top of the expanded instead of welded flush with the bottom (cut the expanded) then you risk blowing your concentrates out from under the riffle unless it is sealed to the base of the sluice. If the expanded is small it may seal enough with carpet etc. but with larger expanded with large holes then you'll blow it out. Tath posted a bit on this subject if you search and was successful with a small gap below the riffle.

They're great documents that Jemba provided and they do specify separate riffle and expanded sections so take note of the water required to drive them and the reasons why they're separated and their gold size target. Mixing riffles with expanded might result in neither working at full efficiency. Keep in mind the height of the expanded/riffle is reduced as the underlying carpet/moss etc. enroaches into its space until it performs poorly. The thing to realise also is that those studies document the designs for large scale operations compared to banking. They take into account slurry concentrations so as to not overload the sluice.
Jon

Good stuff there blisters thanks, a few more things to ponder. Still going over all the info jemba was kind enough to link me! I reckon if I mix it all together I should come out with something half decent. Will be sure to post any more progress as it happens.

Potbelly11 said:
I have some spare expanded aluminium mesh if that's any help to you??

Pm me if you want some

Potbelly you champion! :Y: Ill give you a pm now to see where your at and get a bit more info, really appreciate the offer cheers! :Y:

Latest posts