Bombs and Bullets UXO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be kidding me. :eek:

On the other hand, free ammo..... :rolleyes:

Yes, it is a pity that there are not more 'aware' people in the community.

7.62marksman said:
Nice donation to the salvos today
1 x 50cal
12 x 303
30 odd 22 hollow point
Some people have no idea what to donate

My father-in-law gave me this old Leopard tank shell a while ago.

1499760350_1499757165_img_2125.jpg

After a bit of a polish.

1499760350_1499757242_img_2126.jpg

He's got one out of his old Centurion that I've got my eye on too.

You can tell which of his mates were Tankie's, they've all got the same busted knuckles from punching them into the breach.

;) Not sure why those pix are sideways - they looked fine on the puter.

Aside from the usual warnings on not removing live ammo or military related ordnance from sites, never post any such finds on the forum or social media (deactivated gear an exception). This was the case earlier this year on another forum, he ended up having the police raid his house with detector, ammo, and all his jewellery finds confiscated. He ended up going to court with a hefty fine to match, though luckily he did get his detector and jewellery finds back in the end. There was a news article on it at one stage, and some of the military finds included a couple of live grenades.

Great Write up 7.62.

I can still remember doing patrol practice through WBTA on basic course and at my feet was a live 100mm (approx) projectile. Very rusted and not all that inviting.

I gave my Seco the field signal for mines/booby trap and he gave me a look of WTF! He strolled over for a look and couldn't belive what i'd nearly kicked.

A quick mark of the area with tape and a hasty but controlled retreat was next in order.

Shortly after, i went back in with the demo guys to fix it up once and for all.

A second incident had me visiting the range control office at one of our big live fire ranges. They had a big map on the wall with lots of marking pins in it. I asked what all the pins meant. They were all for the approximate area of UXO that didn't go off and couldn't be found. They were everywhere, I couldn't believe how many things there were in the bush that hadn't gone bang yet.

I have found a old mortar tail fin and plenty of 303 cases on the banks of lake hume. Who knows whats burried in the mud down there.

Stay safe eveyone and don't keep diggin if in doubt.

Philthy

I remember hearing a story of a young soldier digging a pit (fighting bay, @2m long,1.5m deep, 1.5m wide) and he dug up an old white phosphorus mortar round probably from WW2 era. He suffered some really bad burns. As soon as white phos hits oxygen, it starts to burn, and wont stop until the oxygen is taken away. Keep the injury under water if possible, or wrap in a wet towel, and keep it wet. If the phos burns deep into the tissue, it needs to be surgically removed. Nasty stuff.

Occasional_panner said:
Not many places in Oz where you need to worry about this, and they are all fenced off on military bases.
The exception would be the top end where Jap raids during WW2 happened in lots more places than people are aware of.

Too right OP,
One of the top 5 alluvial fields in Nth Qld overlaps a portion of what was once a ww2 mortar and sea mine testing range. Thankfully its heavy jungle so not a major threat to accidents. On the ranges other side is a former jungle warfare training grounds complete with airstrip. The nearby town was also host to voluntary chemical warfare research during the same period.
There are also a number of former staging and infantry barrack sites plus coastal gun emplacements and bunkers hidden in the scrub.
Yep plenty of wartime history up here though mostly naval and defensive installations.

TGW.

Nena has a good post in the members finds section (cant post links yet) not in aus though, its a good thing they don't come across too much of this here on the beaches, i've seen the local coin shooter/beach detectorist out going hell for leather in some deep holes swinging a shovel without a care in the world. would be a big surprise if he hit a grenade or 25lb bomb. I think the only dangers on the beaches here are buried dog turds.

here it is minus the https://www. prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22603

maybe someone can edit or post the link for me.

Cheers,

7.62marksman said:
yes there is an old saying that goes with WP ;) i wont write it on here or i will be put in the naughty corner :8 :8
anyway yes it is very dangerous stuff :Y: :Y:

Here is a photo of a white phosphorus demo job in Iraq. Can't remember what tonnage but I could have a guess and say between 100 - 150 tons of explosive.

1502697116_wp_shot_going_off_28612390.jpg

We would have been about 4-5 kms away.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts