Bucket sieve

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
seeing a recent thread about seives I thought I'd post up how I make a bucket seive that I use for gold.
Not sure if these are suited to gems etc.

I didn't invent this - found it online somewhere a few years back.

You can process heaps more paydirt with one of these & I believe process it more thoroughly too.

It's very simple. fill one bucket up with water about 3/4 full. sit the 2nd bucket that has a mesh bottom into the water bucket & start shoveling pay dirt into it.

depending on the paydirt you might be able to put in 2-4 shovels into it.

then lift te top bucket slightly & shake, twist & shake it. get your hands in there & wash the mud & off the rocks.

the more rocks go in the bucket the better you'll wash your paydirt.

if you dislodge a large rock & it'll fit in ya bucket - then do so - wash the underside of it then get rid of it.

Once it's washed - tip the top bucket out & check for anything of interest.
Insert the seive bucket again & repeat.
keep doing this untill the bottom bucket is full of concentrates.

then pan or sluice that.

Cost is free if you can scrounge up the materials.

you need 2 buckets & some wire mesh that is big enough to cover the bottom of one bucket.
The mesh I use it 11-12mm squares & I find it's the ideal size.

Construction method:

Take one bucket.
100_0871Small.jpg

Cut the bottom off it & place on your mesh - trim the mesh so it's 50mm bigger than the bucket bottom.
100_0865Small.jpg

Start bending/moulding the mesh around the bottom of it. Bend the edges up.
once you got it roughly bent up, you may need to trim some of the mesh edges so they don't bunch up.
Then use a flat piece of timber 19mmx40mm x 30cm? & use that to whack/slap the mesh gently around the bottom so it forms a nice smooth rim.
100_0866Small.jpg

Next get the bucket that you cut the bottom off & mark out 50mm from the bottom edge & trim a 50mm ring off it.

Now you can chuck the bottom of the bucket in the bin/recycling.

Insert the 50mm ring inside the mesh that you've cut & bent up.
I put liquid nails on the outside of that ring so that the mesh gets coated aswell.

Now, take the mesh & ring (as one unit) and fit it thru the top of the bucket you cut it off and push the ring & mesh down carefully.

Take your time & try & keep the mesh tout. It will start to wedge into the bottom of the bucket & you may think it won't go down any further.

Now get your bit of whacking timber & use it as a punch to tap the ring down untill it bottoms out.
100_0869Small.jpg

100_0870Small.jpg

I've used this kind of seive for a while now & everyone I prospect with is impressed with how fast & thorough you can process your pay dirt.

Seen this working & it did a fantastic Quick job. Ps Thanks for showing us that Ag-man.

They're a great idea Ag Man...going to knock up a couple this weekend for myself...thanks for posting...Cheers Wal. :)

Ag-man thanks for showing this sieve- I've got lots of buckets like these - Reckon I'll make a couple of sieves ready for my next trip to Mud Tanks

i tried to make one of these once but the screen was so tiny it failed, thanks for the reminder i'm going to empty the trash thats sitting in it and get me some wider gauge mesh

G,day all ,Many Years ago I purchase something similar I think *** called a mini concentrater 20l bucket with a mesh sieve a collector dish type setup it processed a heap of dirt supposedly any body seen them or had success with one ??? If anyone wants a pic of it let Me know .

Regards L/R

Land Rover said:
G,day all ,Many Years ago I purchase something similar I think *** called a mini concentrater 20l bucket with a mesh sieve a collector dish type setup it processed a heap of dirt supposedly any body seen them or had success with one ??? If anyone wants a pic of it let Me know .

Regards L/R
G'day L/R, your talking about the cresswell mini concentrator. I have one and I find it handy in dry areas and for testing creeks and gullies.
:) Mick

Hi all, I have made my second bucket sieve, this one has a finer grade mesh, 3mm or 1/8' Thanks GM, more of a classifier than a "Bucket Sieve" using a 10 liter bucket from bunnings as the base, it sits about 1/4 of a normal bucket height..

I made a template to help with the cutting of the mesh, putting it up here as a guide for anyone else that may be making one and trying to figure it out.. anyway..

The first pic is the template I made out of an old manila folder, dimensions are shown, the second pic is the mesh that I have marked up with the template, I cut the mesh before I made the template, the string on the mesh is in the center and used as a guide for the marker pen.. you will see what I mean..

Anyway thanks again AGman, awsome tool, I dont know how much dirt I have put through my original one.. but certainly a time saver..

1368704041_bucsieve_template1.jpg

Template..

1368704085_bucsieve_template2.jpg

Marked up mesh.. The black shaded areas get cut out with what ever your using.. I used a grinder..

I am amazed how such a simple and inexpensive device can be so efficent. I know what my next project is going to be. Thanks guys. :cool:

No worries Pete,
I was just reading an other current topic about loaming with buckets & battery drill set up & that got me thinking back to the bucket sieve which could be used for the same thing but minus the battery drill. A little more elbow grease required but achieving the same result.

The only tricky part is to bend up the mesh. I might try & make a youtube vid of that part.

Ag Man,

If I am going to get a sluice, AM Foreman, what size seive do you suggest 1/4 or 1/2 inch ?

Thanks
Pete

1/2" unless you got real real slow water flow.

My little MacKirk Explorer handles 1/2" fine

I only use 1/2 for any of my prospecting - panning or sluicing.

I am a new fossicker this looks great for low cost seive. One questions wheres a great place to buy wire mesh and what size should I ask for. Gem fossicking

Latest posts