First Texas wins lawsuit against Deteknix

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Here's FT's notice to distributors:

To all Fisher and Teknetics Sales Agents, First Texas Products has dismissed its lawsuit against Deteknix after the two companies entered into a Confidential Settlement Agreement.

Deteknix acknowledges that FTP owns the T2 software and agrees to the validity and enforceability of First Texas copyrights in its software code.

Deteknix has agreed not to infringe any First Texas copyrighted software code in current and future products.
Deteknix will take reasonable steps to ensure that their agents, servants, officers, directors, employees, successors, and attorneys do not violate the terms of our agreement.

It's difficult to know what to make of such a weirdly inconclusive ending, especially since the court ordered both parties to pay their own costs! That's hardly a win for Fisher, surely. Presumably no copyright infringement was found or there would also have been an order to withdraw and destroy the infringing detectors.

My title may have been a little misleading, though technically it is a win for FT entering into some sort of financial agreement with Deteknix, and for them not to reproduce detectors with FT software code in future - even though the lawsuit did not eventuate. I think most companies do prefer to settle out of court vs a protracted and expensive court case, not to mention the adverse press associated with it.

Sort of reminds me of when Japan used to make blatant copies of Fender guitars, and instead of Fender shutting them down, they simply bought out those companies to make guitars for the local market. Funny thing was that the Japanese guitars were of superior quality compared to the American ones produced in the same period.

Latest posts