Effect on earth works on coin & relic finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, Im relatively new to relic & coin hunting.

Anyone had experience finding very old coins in newish looking public areas/parks etc that have had earthworks done?

Lets say there is a patch of historical ground - earthmovers have moved in, removed some trees, did some cut and fill & general landscaping - does this make potential for old finds impossible?

Logic would tell me that something as small as a coin wouldnt be spotted and just get mixed up with the rest of the fill and redistributed, either more deeply or lifted higher to the surface.

Thanks

I would think that if a bit of the topsoil has been taken off it would be worth a bit of a swing as some of the deeper targets would be closer to the surface if not on the surface.Jacob (Digging Australia) seems to like having a swing on plots where a bit of earthwork has been done and does quite well.He finds targets that are just sitting on the top.I have my eye on a historical spot here in Goulburn that is due for a bit of earthworks and construction soon and as soon as that happens I will be going to detect it.As Nucopia said Tubsy the only way to find out is to detect it as you have obviously done the research on your chosen spot.

Any time there's been significant earth movements (man made or natural) in a historic area it's worth going for a swing.

Tubsy said:
Hey all, Im relatively new to relic & coin hunting.

Anyone had experience finding very old coins in newish looking public areas/parks etc that have had earthworks done?

Lets say there is a patch of historical ground - earthmovers have moved in, removed some trees, did some cut and fill & general landscaping - does this make potential for old finds impossible?

Logic would tell me that something as small as a coin wouldnt be spotted and just get mixed up with the rest of the fill and redistributed, either more deeply or lifted higher to the surface.

Thanks

I think they call it Top Dressing, adding more topsoil, could put the smaller deep coins out of reach, if the addition of new soil is deep enough.
It was mentioned in a detecting book by Col Webster, first printed 1979, 1980.

I figure earth works could go either way, could turn up deep coins more shallow or the corollary of that.

Tubsy said:
I figure earth works could go either way, could turn up deep coins more shallow or the corollary of that.
I would agree Tubsy, it depends on the type of work they carry out. They may remove the top layer land scape the area and then add top soil. It all depends..

Tubsy said:
Anyone here using an MXT? AM very excited - my first detector!

I think there are a couple of owners on here, with the MXT Pro and regular MXT. Certainly not the most popular detector on the forum, though it is a very capable detector with a long history of success around the globe. If you have any questions on the MXT, I'm sure Ridge Runner will chime in. :)

Latest posts