98 Toyota Prado duel fuel check engine light frustration.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon your issue is timming belt related.
Carefully check the timming belt marks.
My 97 has one cam angle sensor on one camshaft only.
One thing to look for is the bottom pully flogging on the
crankshaft key.
The comment on the tensioners/idler gear is very valid.

Tathradj said:
I reckon your issue is timming belt related.
Carefully check the timming belt marks.
My 97 has one cam angle sensor on one camshaft only.
One thing to look for is the bottom pully flogging on the
crankshaft key.
The comment on the tensioners/idler gear is very valid.

Spot on Tath ..................... slack in belt will allow cam too float and once cam signal is outside the set parameters that ecu can recognize it see's it as a fault.
Also be careful on codes as some listings show codes 52 , 53 and 54 as knock sensor and 55 as cam sensor ? Camry codes are also different to some Prado codes also .

Because it triggers the code regularly at 3000 rpm I'll put my money on either cam or crank sensor as it's rpm related and they are the sensors that monitor rpm. Also be aware cam sensor can fail or be faulty and not throw a code. Your car your call. :Y:

Put a timing light on it and aim it at the harmonic balancer.
If there are no timing mark's, put some on before starting.
Watching the two marks, rev the engine out and watch what
it does.

Sounding like you have a bare wire that's earthing out when the wind from driving or from the fans blowing is forcing it against the block or some such place, maybe look at the back of your wiring where you can't normally see it for one that's worn through to bare wires, gunna mist likely be one to do with your fuel as well(both issues together could be resolved)(gunna be a live one too hey).
Anyway, hope this helps out)
Cheers
SILVER :Y:

Check your harmonic balancer for movement. My mates mitsubishi pajero had a error code for crank angle sensor so i replaced the sensor and found the harmonic balancer was only held in position by the tension of the belts. The bolt was only a couple of threads away from falling out. Its a Common problem on v6 mitsubishi motors. The harmonic balancer holds the crank angle sensor in place by two cotter pins. This also plays up with the knock sensoras it vibrates. This is for mitsubishi but you could see if your balancer is tight.

nucopia said:
I don't seem to have any luck with this car yesterday it would not start flat batteries..alternator only charging intermittently..grrrrr
Very possible that is the main problem.....Alt not charging when hot :eek: ....limp mode.....now main prob
Check your charge rate at the main alt wire...voltage?....sounds like the reg spat the dummy...correct at alt main wire ...batt charge low....reg faulty
Both wrong Alt gone providing there's no shoty wiring going on :eek:
Your going to have to rectify that first then check if original prob still there :rolleyes: :eek: :Y:

silver said:
Sounding like you have a bare wire that's earthing out when the wind from driving or from the fans blowing is forcing it against the block or some such place, maybe look at the back of your wiring where you can't normally see it for one that's worn through to bare wires, gunna mist likely be one to do with your fuel as well(both issues together could be resolved)(gunna be a live one too hey).
Anyway, hope this helps out)
Cheers
SILVER :Y:
Charged the battery ,then reconnected battery and it started with out a problem. Ran a multimetre over battery and the alternators was sending 14.5 volts to the battery... Alternator is charging battery...
Wiring at back of alternator is good, no issues there, no bare wires and every thing is connected securely... i think what happened , is, that I left the door ajar and the dome lights on plus the portable fridge was still on over Friday night, must have drained both batteries...
Next task is to get this check engine light issue solved.. :cool:

Thanks guys I realy appreciate every ones effort to help me solve this issue.
Its really been frustrating.
What I will do is look back over all the comments posted by every one and send them to my mate the engine rebuilder.
So he can get his head around things.
He is very keen to help me find an answer to this problem and I hope some of the comments will be helpful in diognosing the problem and finding a solution...

This might sound dumb, but get your start and aux battery charged well and disconnect the alternator, obviously only do it in daytime and don't run any unnecessary electrical things. Give the car a run and see if it appears again. That alternator only working erratically may put spikes/shorts in the system.
VERY VERY long shot but worth a try if you have time.
At the maryborough meet the alt had an output sometimes, other times none, that's a worry.

No worries Nucopia,
hope you find the prob and a reasonable solution soon!
Dont forget to let us all know what you find in case someone else suffers the same fate :eek:

TGW.

Nothing yet , still here in Robinvale
Once i get back home the mate and I can look at finding out what the problem is and I hope fix it .
Good thing now is it still runs ok and i can drive it.

Well finally was able to get an unregistered 99 Prado pretty cheap .
Like mine, it is an auto and runs on dual fuel. It also has a sturdy alloy bull bar along with a few other parts I can use on my prado.
Started to remove the motor today, so the mate can do a few things to it and make sure its a goer before we put it into my Prado.
Hope to have my one back on the road in the next two weeks.. :Y:

Started on the timing belt replacement yesterday.
Going alright until I got stuck on the front Crank
Bolt.
Bloody Hell it is tight. :eek:
Going to hang a 3/4 drive socket drive off it and hit
the starter. ]:D ]:D

Broke a socket and breaker bar to get
that darn crank bolt undone.
Got it back together again apart from
having to wait for a new crank bolt.
Now has new timing belt, water pump and
tensioners.
Then comes, Oil change, Plugs and leads,