worth crushing??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
do you guys think its worth crushing?
found these near Daylesford on the weekend.

only reason I'm asking is I don't have a dolly pot to crush so don't want to spend hours with a hammer if you guys don't think its worth it.

Cheers

1498449251_20170626_135035.jpg

Hi Ben did they ring the bell with a metal detector..can you see fine gold with your eye or magnifying glass..If the answer is no put them in the garden like I do..And if the answer is yes ..put them in the garden anyway..They are fun to collect anyway..

Fine gold would end up in a towel and lost. You'll need a dolly to do it effectively.
Most welders should have a bit of scrap to make one.

Wouldn't bother unless visible gold or responds to detector. Banging on concrete or wrappped in a towel a bit of a waste of time as quartz is much harder than concrete and you soon get holes in your towel. Better to get someone to make you one up out of pipe, but you need a smooth internal base that does not catch gold in the joint etc..

Old fire extinguishers make a great dolly pot as well....the top half you cut off will supply the interface for the base....(Y-tube for vids)...

Also, go to any Recycling yard and ask for an old window sash counter weight...makes for a great pestle. (stamper)

FFT

ben2363 said:
do you guys think its worth crushing?
found these near Daylesford on the weekend.

only reason I'm asking is I don't have a dolly pot to crush so don't want to spend hours with a hammer if you guys don't think its worth it.

Cheers

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7291/1498449251_20170626_135035.jpg

crush all 3 and especially the middle one that shows cavities and slightly laminated also not all fine gold can be detected with a metal detector I have often found this to be the case sometimes you'll find in the stone a lot of fine flour size gold that the detector won't pick up

Hunting the yellow said:
crush all 3 and especially the middle one that shows cavities and slightly laminated also not all fine gold can be detected with a metal detector I have often found this to be the case sometimes you'll find in the stone a lot of fine flour size gold that the detector won't pick up

I have proffered the same advice previously, on many fields not a nugget to be detected, yet contains tons of gold...

It is fairly rare (but not completely unknown) to not be able to see fine gold with a x10 hand lens if it is abundant - and with fine gold, if it is not abundant it is hardly worth the effort of crushing. Although you are dealing with the right type of rock for gold, there are hundreds of millions of tonnes of rock like that with no gold (or no significant gold).

I just finished putting 11kg of quartz through My Rock squashing n washing plant. got a nice tail of gold in the dish from a 250gram sample And I havent been able to see any gold in the rock yet. Ive got about 40kg to process. I would definetly crush all of those but dolly pots are hard work.
Chuck it all in a nice hot fire outdoors and when its a dull red drop it in a bucket of water this will soften it up. dont breath the smoke as it could be toxic from the arsenopyrites / pyrites in the rock.

goldierocks said:
Wouldn't bother unless visible gold or responds to detector. Banging on concrete or wrappped in a towel a bit of a waste of time as quartz is much harder than concrete and you soon get holes in your towel. Better to get someone to make you one up out of pipe, but you need a smooth internal base that does not catch gold in the joint etc..

Jeez I must have special concrete, I've smashed bloody heaps on my back path, it doesn't look too different from it. :|

jethro said:
I just finished putting 11kg of quartz through My Rock squashing n washing plant. got a nice tail of gold in the dish from a 250gram sample And I havent been able to see any gold in the rock yet. Ive got about 40kg to process. I would definetly crush all of those but dolly pots are hard work.
Chuck it all in a nice hot fire outdoors and when its a dull red drop it in a bucket of water this will soften it up. dont breath the smoke as it could be toxic from the arsenopyrites / pyrites in the rock.

Bloody ripper! I didn't know that. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Only way to tell is to crush it and see what's in it. I just crushed a few handfulls of similar looking rock and got 3 specks. Couldn't see any gold in it before crushing even with a magnifier. Not really worth the effort for that amount of gold but interesting anyway, could be lots of gold deeper down maybe. There would have to be a fair bit of gold though to be worth doing, or you'd have to crush lots of rock like the old timers did. But at least I can now say that I've found a gold bearing reef lol :) I just put a plastic bag down on concrete with a small steel plate on it and cracked it up with a hammer into small enough pieces to fit in the rock crusher, then panned it.

Latest posts