Minelab SD2200 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now fabs, I think it would be a lot fairer and clearer to people reading your opinion above that you declare who you are and what type of product you have in development?
Ron

Redfin said:
Now fabs, I think it would be a lot fairer and clearer to people reading your opinion above that you declare who you are and what type of product you have in development?
Ron
Ditto - although I opted for the Minelab Mods system purely for the true wireless configuration. I would still consider the Link Technologies set up for a back up battery system on long trips. I have been in contact with "Woody" before & he assured me his system (at least the current one he is selling that I enquired about) does have a voltage regulator + thermal overload protection?
I would be interested to see/hear what the system your developing brings to the table - like anything it would be good to look at any option especially if there is an improvement to performance & price.

fabs said:
you can buy the battery (2 for 49$ and the charger for 30$), now put it in a small box, you would have a system that cost 100$ (inc 2 batteries) and a couple of hours work.

Well said Mbasko, looking forward to a superior system for just over $100.

I agree totally with Fabs.
Link technologys are dodgey.
Woody is renowned for bodgey workmanship,and is well known among those of us who have been around for a while in this game.
Its false economy buying an inferior product,as the batteries will fail sooner so you will be replacing them faster.
I have seen his products fail in the field before many times,and I am not biased to any particular brand. I just want the best bang for my buck.
The other side of the coin is: If the batterys are of less milliamps,then they will loose their surface voltage sooner and you want your detector running at peak power all day,not just for the first hr or so.
Personally,I would have gone with the littleripper from Ismael.......a proven product by a bloke who is held in high regard by alot of people.

Hi As a new user, could anyone tell me if the coil I have fitted to the SD2200D is in fact a DD coil. It was sold to me as original, and came with the other 11 inch coil
which is definitely marked as a mono coil. The coil in question is marked as minelab SD series ,super goldsearch. Just does not mention being DD. Any thoughts.

The 11" DD had "Super Gold Search" on the coil label. The 11" mono coil had the word mono on the coil label. And yes, it can be confusing. The mono had 'mono' written on the label to the top left if memory serves me correctly.

Double D has a definite 'hot' zone in the centre of the coil. Mono is 'hot' around the edge.

Hi
I have on a SD2200D a Nugget Finder Signal enhancer mark 3.fitted. It was made by Barrie Johnson at Weddeburn.
Can anyone help me with info on just how effective they are ,say compared to the rooster booster or whatever else
is out there on the market.

20131018_182803_zpsd36eef13.jpg

I recently sent my SD2200D down to Minelab for a check up. For $200 they made 3 x engineering changes to bring it up to the latest specs for the model, changed a few bits & said it bench tested beautifully, which was encouraging.
Even more encouraging was finding some small nuggets, which I wasn't expecting, a couple of days ago. 1 went 0.7 gram & the other was 0.29 gram both with the stock 11" DD coil. (Sorry for the chit photo was taken on my phone)
The 0.29 sub grammer was a funny one though. I got a signal that was very faint but sweet enough to make me stop & dig. After a few inches down there was nothing. Checked my dirt pile - nothing. Filled the hole & could still hear something but even quieter than before. Had a mate with a GPX5000 close by so marked the spot to check later. On checking with the 5000 the signal was clearer, as expected, & we recovered the little 0.29 subby.
In short I guess that while these old girls are definitely no 5000 they are quite capable with a good 7.4v battery system & amp/speaker. I was very happy with those results on sub grammers & will definitely be persevering some more on those iffy little faint signals.

Well done that man!
I have been meaning to send mine in for a service, you have just made up my mind for me.
Ron

Well worth it I reckon Ron. At least now I have the peace of mind knowing it is up to the best specs available & has been given the thumbs up by Minelab. The rest is now up to me walking over the right spot/s.
Good to get it checked out too as they will be put on Minelabs obsolete list at some stage. The SD2100 was the last one added I think so the 2200's will be next & then Minelab won't service them.

Hi mate,

thats a great result with the 2200, yuo've gotta be happy with that

Jim & Kerrie

Hey guys I'd like to see this carry a bit further iv just got a gp3000
With the 5x10dd commander will pick up a 0.1 rubbed on the coil
What difference would the 8"mono make
If anyone has tested these two coils together would be great.

Haven't tested them together but I do use the 10x5 joey DD which I have been told by many experienced operator's is a great coil on the SD series. By all reports I would have got better target response with it had I been using it rather than the 11" DD.
The main differences I could see using the 8" mono would be slightly better depth & sensitivity but there may be a trade off of more noise depending on the ground being detected.
I am currently considering trying a mono on the SD2200D after those good results & have been told its running quietly enough to at least try one. Had been previously advised to steer clear of monos. In the right conditions can definitely see benefits of being able to use a mono. Would be interested in what others say.
Think we need to beg/borrow one to test on the ground we frequent to get really reliable knowledge of how they would perform for us. What might work ok in one persons area might be completely unworkable in another?

When I got my old/new SD2200d gold detector recently I was gob smacked to realise that at the time it was built VHS playback was still the norm. I had almost forgotten such a media type existed. After scratching my head for a while I realised I still had a VHS player buried in the back of the garage. So I decided to digitise it for the masses as I could not find one copy of it anywhere on the Internet... Hope this golden oldy helps a few of you guys that long forgot the VHS.

PART 1

part 2

Or just go to our YouTube Channel
ShannonM979

http://m.youtube.com/user/ShannonM979

Great "Golden Oldie" there mate, and much of what Doug explained is still current info for the newer models. Especially the correct use of the coils.

Cheers Wal

Thanks for this post, I have just watched both and have learnt how these machines
have progressed into todays models with all these functions..

cheers RR

Latest posts