Geologist pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Iv foung a vein of quartz whilst detecting in a deep gorge. The detector picked up something in the vein. I want to dig into it. What do you usually use to dig into the vein. Its very hard rock surrounding it. I think its volcanic basalt. Any comments would be good.

best way for quick results :8 :8 :8 ]:D ]:D ]:D ]:D
1494061815_100_63081.jpg

Hey Bluecurrant,

If you're trying to get into pretty fresh (unweathered) quartz and basalt, you need at least an iron bar to really get into it. A geo pick is more for breaking off corners/edges from fresh rock. But if it's weathered a geo pick might do the job.

Or if you've got one or are inclined to, a jackhammer would do the job.

Just make sure you're ok to use one there before cranking out the big gear!

Good luck and let us know what you find ;)

rotary hammer drill with a carbide bit if you are allowed to use machinery under your current licence otherwise lots of swearwords and bashed knuckles.

Its in state forest so all machinery is out of the equation. I want to take out large peices of quartz if possible. I got a old plugging tool, big bar, bolster, lump hammer and a 20lb sledge hammer. The digger with a rock hammer is what id had in mind marksman. But i think the forestry blokes wouldnt be impressed. The good old fashioned way is my only option.

Well this is not what i wanted to add to this post, but ill put this up as a warning of what can happen digging into volcanic basalt (blue metal) or any rock. I had a chance to get back to the vein of quartz that aroused the detector. I started to dig around it with a lumpy and cold cheisel. I rode in on my moto and only had my moto googles as eye protection. As i worked away at it, my goggles started to fog up and eventually i took them off as i couldn't see. Thats when a bit of rock hit me in the eye. I couldn't wash it out so I had no choice but to ride out with one eye open. So to anyone unexperienced like me. dont dig into rock without eye protection.

All good chewy, a good flush of water did the trick. For a minute i thought of changing my name to pop eye. Ill go back and have anouther go when the rain stops. Could be the basalt diggin4gold, im still learning how the detector works. Heres a peice of the quartz i managed to remove.
1497397252_rps20170614_094026_984.jpg

Thanks mackka i know there hammers are good quality. Most of the form workers use them. They like the vinyl grip over the leather. Ill get one as it will fit in my bag ( the bag is getting heavier ever trip out now) lol. Im trying to get the quartz out in nice size peices so it might be a little more accurate than the bar and better for my hands when i miss the cold chisel. Thanks.