QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out yesterday arvo, and today, used both the QED and the 4500.
Mate got a small target with a GPZ and called me over.
The 4500 with a 15" evo, in enhance, gain on 10, stab on 8, no target. Moved stab to 10, gain on 8, no target.

QED, mode 1, gain 3, 8" commander, no target, quite noisey.
QED, mode 5, gain 1, no target.

Dug the target, .2 gold at about 2 inches. Very hot ground.

Next target, Zed pinged, I tried the 12" evo on the 4500, again, no target. Flicked into NORMAL, gain 5 stab 5, target loud and clear. Tries to detect with those settings, after 3 false targets gave up.

The QED was noisy on the ground, it seemed to suffer from emi spikes, usually it is quieter than the 4500, but not today. Only thing I can think of is the detecnix wireless phones I'm using actually interfering with the QED, or maybe my mates Engel fridge in his car, about 15-20m away. Frustrating day.

Bias was quietest set at 52, which seems consistent.

Discriminating deep PI .. on the wish list for many ... sadly non existant ...
do you have the ferrite clip ons near the coil lead ... I have these on mine and also some ferrites from the wireless to the audio out of the QED ..
You out with Adrian ... wouldnt mind some more comparisions ... with my other beasty and the QED .. one day ..
I can interperate my 3000M reasonably well ... nearly there with the QED :)

No, Adrian anywhere from TC, Vic,or Hells Crack.
Lost one of my ferrite clips.
Hate my wireless system. Probably my biggest problem with the QED to be honest. I don't rate the audio very highly. Wasted a fair bit of time on it.(audio) probably my fault.
Will get out next week if you can do an overnighter?
Kerry got a 60.54 at MD along with a 4.5 , couple 2 ,s as well as a few sub grammers. I got zip :(
Very hot ground and deepish targets.

Yep next weekend a goer for me if ur keen ..
Have u tried phones direct ... have my wireless going to booster then to phones .. not enough audio I reckons ..
anyhow ...

Righto, this is based on my last 4 or 5 trips combined.
Today was the 2nd time I've been able have 2 QED,s on the ground as well as a GPX 4500 and a souped up GP 3000 to compare.
So I started at an old patch, really flogged. Also started with the 4500 and 12" evo. Quiet morning, no emi, gain 11 stab 12, enhance, shotty pellets and boot tacks. Left the last target in the ground, switched to QED.
QED 14*9 evo, GB 132, gain 3 , bias 46, more on that soon.
Had trouble found balancing, slowed right down, was very very careful. Couldn't get it to shut up! Bias was on 52 from last outing, this morning was cool by our standard, about 20 deg c. Dropped the bias to 46, all good, another GB, set at 132, all good. Got emi spikes??? Didn't get any with the GPX???
Went straight to the last target I got with the gpx, just a very soft signal with the QED. Dug it, and couldn't find it in the spoil??? Moved the dirt with my feet, nothing???
QED noisy again, tried another GB, no go??? Adjusted the bias to 48, all good again, went back over the spoil, found a boot tack.
Change to the last patch I was at, last time I was there, about a week or so ago, I got 7 or 8 small bits for @ 2 GMs. Looked like someone else has been there, looked like a ww1 battlefield....craters everywhere!
Started with the gpx, no gold but lots of targets. Switched to the QED, here we go again! Couldn't GB, set bias to 50, then 52, GB just OK, but lots of ground noise, and the odd emi spike. (No emi with the gpx, but some ground noise,but not as bad as the QED)
After a while, I got the shits with it, and put it back in the car. Met up with my mate to askba few questions about his QED. His GB was considerably lower than mine, at about 112 compared to my 132(his QED is pre production though) he also got emi spikes that he didn't get with his GP 3000.

All up. What I think about my QED.
Its unbalanced, and I find it coil heavy, even with a small coil, needs a bungy, or I suffer a sore wrist.(the D tech package has better ergonomics) mine is on a whites s bend shaft.

It really needs an auto ground balance if you are in variable ground, I was in mild to foul dolerite today, and it was unusable in the dolerite proper, OK on the edge. The gpx just handled the main dolerite after dropping the gain from 10 to 7 and bringing the stab to 10. Couldn't adjust the QED to run quiet in it, but that could have been me, but ffs I tried!
For the money, just under $2k new with a nf evo, its good value, but then you need to add stuff....the battery pack and charge routine (gold search package) how do you say it....f@#king sucks!
I'm getting a Z tek battery pack, much better and great value.
Needs a bungy, cause its coil heavy, or a counter balance at the rear. Battery pack dosnt offset it much.
Headphones. It has a small headphone jack, so you need a good adaptor to use headphones compatible to the gpx, its a pain. So I got a set of wireless detecnix from all round good guy Nenad, but there's another $200 bucks to the package.

So what did I hope for?
What I really hoped the QED would do is punch deeper than a gpx in enhance. Does it? No. About the same, but I think the audio of the gpx is better, resulting in better target I.d. (I also use a Nokia speaker, with the qed, which I think is better than the headphones on still days, $20!)

My advice for a 1st detector buyer? Save a bit more and get a gpx. Am I going to keep the QED? Hell yes! The maker is working on upgrades right now, and it will defiantly mature into a really good detector, but its not quite there yet IMO.

Hope I don't get put into the naughty corner Bugs! Its just my opinion, and it could just be the way I'm using it, but I much prefer my gpx at the moment.

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave. I'm disappointed to hear the QED didn't perform as you hoped. We really need strong competition at the top of the detector game but as you say it's early days. I just happy that I decided on a new 4500 for Mrs M. Now I've just got to get finished with this job I've taken on and get the coil to the soil again. The 4500 has come with the 11" Commander Mono and 11" DD. I've bought the 11" Detek Ultra for the other detector but I'm going to try the 11" Commander on the new one to see how it goes. Mrs M gets the tested and proven machine with the new 11" Ultra because it lighter. I was tempted to order a QED for her but that can wait.

If you do decide on a QED, go the d tech package, much better shaft and battery set up and comes with an 11" ultra, but if you already have one, I'm sure a different coil could be included in the package.
Heaps of people really rate the 11" commander mono highly.
I think there are some pretty good upgrades planned for the QED.

Nice well balance report Dave, Well done good job all round,

It's still early days yet so there is not enough settings talk out there for people to try, I am sure QED Mk II will address all these issues and fine tune it to the next level,

Thanks for making the effort,

John.

davent said:
Today was the 2nd time I've been able have 2 QED,s on the ground as well as a GPX 4500 and a souped up GP 3000 to compare.
So I started at an old patch, really flogged. Also started with the 4500 and 12" evo. Quiet morning, no emi, gain 11 stab 12, enhance, shotty pellets and boot tacks. Left the last target in the ground, switched to QED.
Had trouble found balancing, slowed right down, was very very careful. Couldn't get it to shut up! Bias was on 52 from last outing, this morning was cool by our standard, about 20 deg c. Dropped the bias to 46, all good, another GB, set at 132, all good. Got emi spikes??? Didn't get any with the GPX???
Went straight to the last target I got with the gpx, just a very soft signal with the QED. Dug it, and couldn't find it in the spoil??? Moved the dirt with my feet, nothing???
QED noisy again, tried another GB, no go??? Adjusted the bias to 48, all good again, went back over the spoil, found a boot tack.
Change to the last patch I was at, last time I was there, about a week or so ago, I got 7 or 8 small bits for @ 2 GMs. Looked like someone else has been there, looked like a ww1 battlefield....craters everywhere!
Started with the gpx, no gold but lots of targets. Switched to the QED, here we go again! Couldn't GB, set bias to 50, then 52, GB just OK, but lots of ground noise, and the odd emi spike. (No emi with the gpx, but some ground noise,but not as bad as the QED)
After a while, I got the shits with it, and put it back in the car. Met up with my mate to askba few questions about his QED. His GB was considerably lower than mine, at about 112 compared to my 132(his QED is pre production though) he also got emi spikes that he didn't get with his GP 3000.

Its unbalanced, and I find it coil heavy, even with a small coil, needs a bungy, or I suffer a sore wrist.(the D tech package has better ergonomics) mine is on a whites s bend shaft.

It really needs an auto ground balance if you are in variable ground, I was in mild to foul dolerite today, and it was unusable in the dolerite proper, OK on the edge. The gpx just handled the main dolerite after dropping the gain from 10 to 7 and bringing the stab to 10. Couldn't adjust the QED to run quiet in it, but that could have been me, but ffs I tried!
For the money, just under $2k new with a nf evo, its good value, but then you need to add stuff....the battery pack and charge routine (gold search package) how do you say it....f@#king sucks!
Needs a bungy, cause its coil heavy, or a counter balance at the rear. Battery pack dosnt offset it much.
Headphones. It has a small headphone jack, so you need a good adaptor to use headphones compatible to the gpx, its a pain. So I got a set of wireless detecnix from all round good guy Nenad, but there's another $200 bucks to the package.

So what did I hope for?
What I really hoped the QED would do is punch deeper than a gpx in enhance. Does it? No. About the same, but I think the audio of the gpx is better, resulting in better target I.d. (I also use a Nokia speaker, with the qed, which I think is better than the headphones on still days, $20!)

My advice for a 1st detector buyer? Save a bit more and get a gpx. Am I going to keep the QED? Hell yes! The maker is working on upgrades right now, and it will defiantly mature into a really good detector, but its not quite there yet IMO.

Hope I don't get put into the naughty corner Bugs! Its just my opinion, and it could just be the way I'm using it, but I much prefer my gpx at the moment.

Dave.

I am sorry that that the QED is not working out for you.The overwhelming majority of QED users are reporting that they very happy with their QED's (NSW,Vic, Q'land) and are not experiencing the problems that you are having. Some of the points you make are valid like the audio socket which will addressed in future upgrades. When you experienced the differences in Gb reading between the QEd's were the coils, mode setting and bias the same? No i doubt that bugs will not put you in the naughty corner!
AEGPF

No, coils were different,and the settings were also different. The 2 coils I am using on it recently are the commander 8" and NF 14* 9 evo.
In milder ground, it is a pretty easy machine to use, and even at home, I have used it in the suburbs to show mates etc how good it is with emi.
But in the field, it sometimes is very noisy and twice now in deep red ,almost maroon soil, dolerite rocks the size of footballs, it is very difficult to use.
I'm not saying its a bad machine, its a good machine, I just don't think has better depth or handles ground noise or emi better than my other machine.
My only other criticism is the battery pack, 12 AA,s.
I'm replacing that so that will help. I'll also add a bungy, as it is a bit unbalanced ATM. I would love to have auto GB.

Also, no need to be sorry! I'm happy and proud to own my Australian designed and made PI metal detector!

Cheers.

davent said:

So what did I hope for?

Dave.

A number of QED issues that you have raised are being addressed including a software revision, a new circuit component and a battery holder setup that will hold 6 Li cells and give you up to 30 hours detecting and a new water proof control box (with a 4 buttons and a back lit screen )as pictured on my forum. Howard wants to ensure that you don't have to buy the next model to get any upgrades.Future optional upgrades may also include an auto Gb button. When these upgrades are finalized i will post them on my forum together with any pictures. So the QED development is ongoing but for a one man band (another person is working on the new control box) it takes time.

Great news! Really happy to see the QED developed further.As I said, this WILL mature into a really good machine.

Latest posts