Toyota Coaster in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one run a Coaster off the beaten track..wondered how they handle it..and if any mods to suspension are needed..Thinking of a late 90s model with the 4.2 diesel..cheers..probably tow a trailer with a bush basher behind..

Haven't got one, but see a few up here, with a bush basher on the back, you would be OK on dirt roads anyway. Think it would be a nightmare on bush tracks but!

Hahaha, no, just after I got out.

No, its Frank Gallagher from a TV show called shameless, great show, and Frank is quite a character. There is a US version to, which is just as good.

1498387933_images_2.jpg

American Frank Gallagher.

Baldy said:
Does any one run a Coaster off the beaten track..wondered how they handle it..and if any mods to suspension are needed..Thinking of a late 90s model with the 4.2 diesel..cheers..probably tow a trailer with a bush basher behind..
Fit a winch , coupla bash plates and carry snow chains for traction it would get about better than a sedan in the bush , strap a bike on the back to suss out the track ahead :Y: so you dont become the goose trying to back a bus 2 klm out a bush track :D or the bus on the road doing 15 kph up hill towing a trailer and pos.

Thanks Au ??..Yeh I can't see why with a few changes it wouldn't cut it..Most of Au is flat..Deep creek crossings wouldn't be much fun..If I could jack it up a couple of inches would be good..some BF Goodrich tyres..diff locker..They have a great drive train, one of the best motors ever..Mainly going this way to make sure the wife is comfortable...happy wife Happy ?..maybe I could get used to a bit of comfort also..chains,winch bash plate..all good..can tow a bush basher and a tinny ..what else do you need..Cheers.

When i worked in the mines, they used them there and were far better than the mazda t3500. Went into the open cut and got abused. Will take almost anything, rough dirt roads all good. Just watch your clearance underneath, like all vehicles. This was in mid '90's. We used the 4 cylinder deisel ones there and were good on fuel usage. the 4.2 is bullet proof. And more if you want to tow. TG

Thanks Bogger..that rig certainly has all the gear..Single wheels on the back instead of duels..raised up..probably a 4x4 model..There are lots of Coasters for sale mid and late 90s with 4-500,000 km on them..that mileage doesn't worry me with these rigs..should go for ever..plenty around for $15,000 or less..the same price you pay for a troopie ute of the same vintage..once they are fitted out the price goes nuts..but it's easy to spend $ on accessories..I spent $8k on the hilux last years just tricking it up..so the $ soon add up..thanks for the photo..it's a nice rig..

Hight and width can pull you up on many tracks but that's fine if you don't mind a few battle scars. Grills over the side windows are a good idea.

Maybe a compressor and tyre gauge....
Some maxtrax...
Maybe even a couple of koppers logs the green ones from the hardware stores about 4 or 6" in diameter to fit the gap in the duel rear wheels..
If you get bogged jam the log between the rear wheels and drive up on the log.....
Might be worth thinking about...
On site these are used to transport workers to and from site on some rather questionable roads ...

Just my 2 bobs worth.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Thanks for the tips guys..madtuna yeh I don't like scratching my cars too much..my hilux is perfect for getting down the overgrown tracks..which there a plenty..when off the main track..I've got an old Suzuki with the doors off..and a trailer that fits on with a tinny above..the Suzy is a go anywhere machine..It's like boats not one can do everything..I'm thinking keep the wife happy and I'm right..Jim the ideal with the logs is a great idea should work..Cheers

Latest posts