Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted that review up previously. It is by Kevin Hoagland who used to work for Minelab in Las Vegas but is now with Gold Prospectors Association of America and is host of the show Gold Trails.

Hey everyone.

here is my personal review on the GOLD MONSTER 1000.
i gave it a good go on an old paddock in Wandin nth, keep in mind that i have no idea what im doing!
I had it set on deep (all metals) knowing there is NO gold where i was, the ground is just soil with no rocks and is fairly soft to scratch around.
I had the sensitivity set on about 8 because it does make a bit of noise if its on full sensitivity, noise changes to high pitch once it picks up something.
I was finding bullets about 30cm deep and even minute bits of old foil milk caps at the same depth, anything big like a bolt it will pick up over 30cm deep no worries.

The deeper something is the quieter the noise.
If i had it on full sensitivity it would of been loud noise but probably wouldnt pin point the treasure as accurately as it did, hope that makes sence.

I brought a 2.34 gram gold nugget to really test it so i burried it 10, 20, 30, 35cm in the soil and it picked it up easily on full depth and sensitivity set on 8.
It is very light and i mean less than 1kg by the feel of it, and battery went down 1 notch after about an hour and a half.
I also put it in the dam to test its waterproof depth and it was picking up something but i didnt jump in to see what it was. Waterproof upto 3ft seems ok to me.

Oh and the gold reading actually means profitable metals, pretty much everything thats not a bit of wire or a nail will read as GOLD, didn't bother us though cos thats where the fun is. Not knowing what your about to reveal.
All in all the wife is happy with it and it should find gold and other bits and pieces so it will do what she got it for. Just gotta test it on our farm near dunolly to see how it is in more rocky dry ground.

hope thats all understandable and worded right.

Cheers everyone

that sounds pretty good, I would like to see that depth test with that nugget at 35 cm, Sounds Awesome. It looks like ML have another winner in their line up,

thanks for the report,

John.

Hi all, got my gold monster last night so I thought I would take it out for a quick swing tonight after work. went to a large mine heap(central vic) that I have found about 25 small pieces .05 to .6 over time with the 4500 and many different coils the last being a 6" coiltek. nearly all from a patch about 4m x 6m on one side.To start with I thought that I had just wasted $1000 it was so different to the 4500, it seamed to work best in iron reject as when I put it in all metal there was to much ground noise, (need more time to experiment with the sensitivity) so the settings were, gold(iron reject) and auto sensitivity.Once I got my head around the sounds it was making I got the first target a lead shot no more than 1"deep, that was encouraging, a few minuses latter another target to my surprise a .05 flat piece of gold. Over the next half hour 8 pieces lead shot and 4 more pieces of gold the smallest being .025 and the largest .1 all no more than 1" deep then to dark to see, I wouldn't expect to get anything bigger as I have given this area a good going over whit 6" coiltek,14 mono elite, 12 x 7 NF and 14 x 9 evo. So overall pretty impressed considering the one and a half hours I have used it for and it costing less than the last 2 NF coils I have brought (14x9 and 19"). cheers

bush wack said:
Cheers fellas,
I'll make video of it tomorrow and put it on you tube. Then yous will be able to understand it a bit better being able to see what its like.

Great job, The GM just keeps getting better and better,

John.

So the GM 1000 got in yesterday. Worked yesterday and busy day today but had to take 'the dog for a run' this evening. Got about an hour to play with the new toy.

OMG it is simple!!

Ran in auto sensitivity and auto + at different times. Certainly a bit more chatty in auto + but essentially a silent machine 99% of the time.

Went to a spot that I've got 15 or so very small bits of gold from over a small area - I'm guessing somewhere that they have washed gold and these are tiny bits that have slipped through. I've been over it several times with the Z and the SDC and had cleared out everything that they could get. Really dark red clays and quite a few hot rocks so knew it would be a good test.

Certainly pinged the hot rocks but changed to gold mode and it masked them out. Clay was no trouble. This is a spot I have to run the Z in difficult ground mode because normal is just nuts.

Lots of targets showing on the iron chance side of things and simply due to time they were left undug. Assuming that many were hot rocks as SDC or Z hadn't seen them. 2 that indicated gold chance and that they were!! Small. Tiny. Minuscule. Unbelievably wee. But they were gold.

Using the 5" coil by the way.

Hopefully get out again tomorrow but will only be a few hours. Very happy with it so far though. It worked, it found gold, it was bloody simple and it was oh so light :D More time required though to see just how accurate the discrimination is as that is the #1 reason I bought it :Y:

1498306771_img_3270.jpg

The 'bigger' one on the left I got with the Z a few weeks ago at Beechworth having a little hunt with Elusive. The scales say .12 for that one.

The two on the right are today with the GM. They don't trouble the weighmaster :/

had the monster for 5 weeks , just returned from outback WA , the Monster was not suited to the hot ground in WA , but in Vic I found it useful on all metal mode to look for gold in quartz as long as it is away from any metal rest sample rock up to about 5kgs if there is any amount of gold worthy of retrieving it seems to pick it up. my best description it is the best probe I have used , it will suit my requirements as a quartz hunter , we took a 2300 a monster and a 4000 with new 12" coil
all gold found with 2300 the vacuum cleaner
1499341192_wa_gold_2.jpg
1499341232_outback_wa.jpg

the panner

Hi Everyone,

Just returned from two weeks in far north WA with the new GM, and well.........mmmmmmmm........let's just say it stayed in the car most of the trip.
I'm not a detector reviewer, there are better people at that than me, but if you're thinking of buying one to do those creeks you have always wanted with plenty of mineralization and iron rubbish, and you think the GM might be an option, make sure you take backup in the form of a a PI. We ended up with over 40 nuggets in the creek the year, all from the SCD and 4500. I really wanted the GM to be better than it was, and gave it a good workout, but in the end gave up.

I'll upload a video on YouTube tonight if anyone is interested ?

On a brighter note I did buy a Hipstik for this trip to use with the 4500 and "WOW", why didn't I get one earlier ?? Geez it makes a difference on the flat country. Got some ripper nuggets this year also.
Another purchase in camp was a Aquacube hotwater system, and whilst I'd love to tell you all I'm a tough bushman, geewiz a hot shower a night makes you feel good.

GD