Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No modern VLF will handle that Red Dirt, They will work to a degree but the ground noise just drives them Nuts, which is pure Torture,

The Older VLF's could deal with it to a greater degree but those things weigh a Ton, The one I bought last year is an Awesome machine. I wish you could set up the newer machines like the old ones, because you can actually see/hear them just wipe the ground noise out.

John.

Gold Diver said:
Here is another video I did last year, forward to 1.40min if you haven't got time to watch the entire video.......I got a new way to film?
https://youtu.be/gue_i871OW0

GD

Looks like Santa brought somebody a drone for Xmas. :lol:

I really like the style of your video work. The backing tracks are excellent and the filming gives a great sense of the country in outback WA. They're actually more like music videos than the usual prospecting ones showing a sweaty bloke grunting and swearing as he labours over digging a dusty hole for 5-10 minutes, usually kicking over the camera at the halfway point and with a soundtrack of passing blowflies. I've been there and done that myself and it's got limited entertainment value, as far as I'm concerned. Well done!

Been reading a few of these posts that seem to dis the GM due to it being a VLF.
If only a company could make a VLF that punches deep in hot ground, or a PI/VLF hybrid, then you would really open up the goldfields.
Imagine a PI that could discriminate?........

davent said:
Been reading a few of these posts that seem to dis the GM due to it being a VLF.

I think that people who haven't tried it as it was intended to be used (ie. fully auto sensitivity and ground balance), are missing the whole point of the Gold Monster. To my knowledge, this is the first VLF gold detector to incorporate Digital Signal Processing (DSP), the effect of which is apparently to minimise ground noise but to identify and go off big-time on even the tiniest of targets amongst that noise.

Silent operation goes very much against the grain for experienced electronic prospectors, but Minelab's use of DSP makes this a whole new ball game. Unfortunately, preconceptions based on previous generation VLF gold detectors, are hindering otherwise knowledgeable people recognising what the Gold Monster is all about: effectiveness combined with ease of use, at an affordable price.

davent said:
If only a company could make a VLF that punches deep in hot ground, or a PI/VLF hybrid, then you would really open up the goldfields.

Minelab already did that - it's called the GPZ!

PhaseTech said:
The old gt16000 handled red dirt very well but at 6.something kHz it was not very sens on small gold

What is the smallest size a machine like that would see Nenad. ?

John.

grubstake said:
davent said:

I think that people who haven't tried it as it was intended to be used (ie. fully auto sensitivity and ground balance), are missing the whole point of the Gold Monster. To my knowledge, this is the first VLF gold detector to incorporate Digital Signal Processing (DSP), the effect of which is apparently to minimise ground noise but to identify and go off big-time on even the tiniest of targets amongst that noise.

Silent operation goes very much against the grain for experienced electronic prospectors, but Minelab's use of DSP makes this a whole new ball game. Unfortunately, preconceptions based on previous generation VLF gold detectors, are hindering otherwise knowledgeable people recognising what the Gold Monster is all about: effectiveness combined with ease of use, at an affordable price.

davent said:

Minelab already did that - it's called the GPZ!

OK, a GPZ that can discriminate then, so you could pretty safely dig only non ferrous targets!

Grubstake, You have nailed it in one sentence..............I think that people who haven't tried it as it was intended to be used .............basically it is that lightening fast auto GB & auto Sensitivity that makes it stand out from the pack, the discrimination ices the cake. A brilliant turn on and go VLF.

Norvic said:
Grubstake, You have nailed it in one sentence..............I think that people who haven't tried it as it was intended to be used .............basically it is that lightening fast auto GB & auto Sensitivity that makes it stand out from the pack, the discrimination ices the cake. A brilliant turn on and go VLF.

That's the beauty of a prospecting VLF/LF, You don't need all that other stuff junking it up that you never use, That's why I stick with what I got but I can't wait to get my hands on one of these GM's, I think this one is a winner.

John.

Davent said:
OK, a GPZ that can discriminate then, so you could pretty safely dig only non ferrous targets!
Wheres the fun in that Dave :p if i didnt dig trash i could go days without a sweat up lol 8)

No GM report from me because there is no GM to play with 8.(

Australia Post tracking tells me it is still in the post office that it was sent from last Friday. That post office man tells me that it was definitely sent from there on Friday and the tracking that he can see shows that, but it does not show that it has logged in anywhere else.
And my local post lady tells me that since it has tracking it should show a trail of every depot it moves through. And when she looks it up it looks like it hasn't moved from the original post office.

Hopefully it will be here for the weekend...or Christmas.

Supplier service was great I might add. Ordered Thursday night and mailed Friday :Y:

Apparently if there has not been an update, the tracking data shows when the parcel departed a depot, or so AusPost assured me when I rang to complain about a two day delay in receiving a parcel from a local depot less than a kilometre from my house.

It seems as though parcels not sent via the extra cost Express service are being deliberately held up, to encourage us to pay more for a service that used to be standard. They make the Pirates of the Caribbean look like Little Bo Peep. :mad:

Thanks grubstake. That's what the Clermont post office chap told me. It says received by Austrialia Post at Clermont on Friday which to me sounds like JP has given it to the post office. The bloke advises that it actually means it's gone from the post office and into the bigger 'Australia Post' ether. But where it is now is anybody's guess :|

Major status update!!! It's close!!! It has moved whilst I slept :Y:

1498084224_img_3266.jpg

If its Booked using the Online MyPost business system, it will ping on arrival (and send you an email) and departure from post office.

If you pay over the counter it only pings on departure.

What happens after that as far as scanning goes is a lottery, sometimes it pings all the way sometimes it just shows up. I do know with the myPost Business system it delivers email to the recipientalong the way and I believe gives a 24 hour notice that your parcel will be delivered.

I highly recommend the online system for keeping your customers in the loop and getting more accurate tracking, 400+ Items and only ever had 1 drama and it was able to be sorted out. They paid me insurance then 2 months later delivered the package to the bloke LOL.

Hope that helps, if you're ordering something online ask that you be added to the online notification system it helps with the "Where the %^&$ is my stuff" question.

Cheers

Clegy

A very in depth report giving the Minelab Gold Monster a big thumbs up I would say.

Thanks RJ :Y:

Thanks RJ. That review and about 5 others have been put up on another forum over the last month or so. All very positive re: it's performance. They are all US and NZ based though so will be interested to see what it does in Oz.

Norvic says good things about it in Queensland. I have no idea how Queensland ground varies to Vic and WA though.

If AUS Post would hurry up I could find out for myself. 2.30 am (in the middle of the night) today it was in Seymour and doesn't appear to have an inch since :rolleyes: