The Buckland Valley Gold Fields History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow goose bumps wish I could have seen that, like I said there are over 10'000 buried there without any markings , you may very well have been sitting on his grave :eek:

Nah, It happened alright, it wasn't late and it was only after two beers. I wish it didn't happen as it freaked me out pretty good and put me off going back.

Lets all go camp there next Autumm next year, like I said loads of cache's to be found let alone a few bones haha

xcvator said:
Does any one know if there are any free camping areas around there, come late spring I'd like to have a go at that area for both relics and gold

I'm sure there's a few around and the local camp parks are very reasonable in price at least you can use their facilities, this is one of the best times of the year to go just a stunning place with snow on the mountain tops.

Cheers

Occasional_panner said:
The Buckland has a lot of history to it. It was the site of the first large scale race riots in Australia, where the Anglo Saxons chased off the Chinese miners.
Some BIG dredges operated in the area, now we can't even take a shovel there.

Wasn't it the American miners chased the Chinese off on the 4th July? And next day the Irish beat up the Americans? Also it was the first major riot (as you say, large-scale) but not the first riot. "In 1854 a group of Chinese arriving at Melbourne wharf were beaten and abused, and over the next three years anti-Chinese violence by small mobs of Europeans broke out in Bendigo, Castlemaine, Ballarat, Diamond Gully, Maryborough, Campbell's Creek/Guildford, Creswick, Smythes Creek, Tarrengower, Peg Leg Gully, Spring Creek and Mount Blackwood". I think the anti-Chinese head tax had already been introduced. One of the major complaints was that they worked too hard (they were on contract to businessmen back in China, and came armed with phrase books). They were skilled at mining unlike many early diggers, and actually discovered some goldfields (they discovered the Canton lead at Ararat because they had been forced to walk through there from Robe, SA, because of the Victorian head tax). Peter Lalor, head of the Eureka up rising, actually caused the Clunes trouble by trying to employ Chinese miners at his mine. Like the aborigines and African Americans (4 at Eureka, another one discovered the Cathcart goldfield) their significance has been underestimated and even ignored in gold-mining history).

Occasional_panner said:
Alright!
I was camped along the buckland on one of the many flats there on a nice still summer night but there was plenty of moonlight so you could still see really well.
I was sitting by the fire in my chair having a beer and this old timer fella came past with this old antique wheel barrow with a wooden wheel. He went straight past my camp without looking at me, then he went straight through the trunk of this big tree and carried on his way.
Like I said I'm not a believer but I just can't explain that. :|
I love a good story!
This is a story left unfinished, and needs to be followed through!
Matt T

We need to orginize a trip to the Buckland this year , lets make it happen and OP please finish your story :fire:

reviving an old thread here i guess but i would love to head up here and have a look around. plenty of little creeks and streams off the buckland that arnt on the exempted list.
Chinese coins are on my bucket list aswell.

Occasional_panner said:
The Buckland has a lot of history to it. It was the site of the first large scale race riots in Australia, where the Anglo Saxons chased off the Chinese miners.
Some BIG dredges operated in the area, now we can't even take a shovel there.
Only from memory, but I don't know that it was that simple. Wasn't it the Americans who did it on the 1st July, then the Irish got stuck into the yanks next day?

Thought to share this book with you, great if you get a chance to pick it up a great read and how gold in the area was discovered. :Y:

1557906969_img_0534.jpg

1557906998_img_0535.jpg

1557907024_img_0536.jpg

Gravity said:

Beeen out of print for quite some time apparently. Second hand ones have been going for up to $130. Ill look after mine a little better i reckon!

Gravity said:
I posted this a month or two ago but defered from the main topic so thought it would be Interesting to see if anyone Knowes or would like to add to this.

Wondering if anyone has been to the Buckland River Bright Victoria , they say there are over 10'000 souls buried all along it no grave markings all destroyed in the fifties bushfire's, Typhoid was the biggest killer and hundreds died from snakes, by day they were out panning and buried by night most hid their gold in caches because there was a lot of thieving going on those caches are still out there if your game to go looking for them, was there last year and it was crawling with snakes but boy that area had some gold.

Its a great read History of the Buckland

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a521/Fiat124Spider1979/My%20Jeep/-22739071_1401_zpsdfp5gurc.jpeg
Bit doubtful that there would be 10,000 buried - it was less than 3000 diggers at the time of the riots (I think). It was the Americans who attacked the Chinese on 4th July - some Europeans (Irish) apparently had a go at the Americans the next day - perhaps the grog was still flowing. Burke (of Burke and Wills fame) was one pf the police who arrested rioters (all were aquitted)

Aussiedigs said:
Gravity said:

Beeen out of print for quite some time apparently. Second hand ones have been going for up to $130. Ill look after mine a little better i reckon!

The lady at the camp site got her copy from the local flee market $5.00 I did see a copy in the local book shop there @ $40

Cheers