Yellow is good for the soul

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After detecting for about a month, the need to get back to a creek with a pan was overwhelming. There is just something refreshing about scrounging around on your hands and knees looking for that special prize. It takes me back to when I was a kid diving for agate in our local swimming hole.

The local creek that I explore has been hit many times in the past. The early European and Chinese prospectors worked though the area in the gold rush era followed by groups in the early nineteen hundreds and then later during times of depression. The latest mob with GPS, Google Earth, drones and smart phones can usually be found on creek bends on most weekends. It won't be long before a virtual gold panning ap takes all the hard work out of this sacred activity.

Only the odd spec appears in a pan in this area. People with more experience, skill and knowledge would probably do OK. But for me, it's about being out there in the peace and quiet. Any gold is just a bonus. Seeing that spec in the bottom of a pan always puts a smile on my face. It's funny how the fever grabs you and never lets go.

I decided to check out an area where a crevice revealed some gold about two months ago. Have a look at it. Located on the inside of a bend, these cracks produced some nice little pickers.
1498083556_img_0105.jpg

Looking up stream, the bend in the creek is obvious.
1498083725_img_0116.jpg

I planned to work the inside of this bend to see if there was any yellow stuff present. You will notice the disturbed ground at the bottom of the photo. I dug in front of the rock bar to see if there was any gold deposited there. After a test pan revealed nothing, the hole was back filled.

This little creek hides its treasure well. Most of the gold lies on top of bedrock or just above a grey clay layer. If you can find that layer and set yourself up on the right line, you will find a spec or two. This photo shows what I am searching for.
1498084440_img_0121.jpg

Getting down to the cons. Iron stone- top stuff. This is what I'm looking for. Gold won't be far away.
1498084564_img_0119.jpg

1498084757_img_0118.jpg

The result, one nice spec. I moved in closer to the bend and panned out a couple of smaller flakes which indicated that the gold line was out a little wider (almost at the middle of the flowing water) The next pan was taken from bedrock. There was small crevices at the bottom of the stream that contained clay and gravel. The result:
1498085266_img_0120.jpg

After an hour, my hands were numb from the cold. Next time I might start a little bit later in the day. I was told that it was almost zero that morning. The things we do for a bit of colour.

Anyway, the final result:
1498085504_img_0124.jpg

Not bad for a mug on a cold winters morning.

Catch you in the sand pit

Cheers

Les

great post les, what I like most about just panning in the bush is the peace, without a pump running
I can hear the birds again. its amazing how curious little wrens are if you sit still and whistle tiny
high pitch chirps. :cool:

Hi 20xwater,

Thanks for the kind words. Spot on with the comment about the birds. Just the simple things are often the best moments in life. I must admit that it was difficult to hear them yesterday through the chattering of teeth.

Cheers

Les

Enjoyed reading your post Les
I could almost imagine sitting on a rock panning out in the water and looking for that spec of yellow against the green of the pan.
Would be a very cold in water now but if you could find the right spot to sit in the warm sun light, it would be well worth it.
Thick sox gum boots and gloves would be a must ..oh and add a thermus of hot water for a cup of tea or cup noodles.

Thanks Nucopia,

You are a little brighter than me. No sun, no thermos, no gloves and wet suit slip ons. Some people are just slow learners. DrDuck, hope you find many sparkles in your pan. Let us all know how you go.

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les
The wife would never give me a moments peace if we did not go out bush well prepared.
It would be "you" forgot to bring this or that, all day long. She loves to pan and find the yellow more then any one.
She also spoils me with creature comforts out bush that she cant do within out either. Although a cold shower is nothing for her
, me I hate the cold.

Great post Led, it hit the spot. The wife and I overnighted at nundle a month ago. Only a few specs, but the feeling of peace is price less.
Regards Stu
:Y:

Latest posts