Zebra stone deposit now protected

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not made it to see the deposit yet, but would like to.
Have been lucky enough to be able to play with some and it holds a beautiful polish. You are right xcvator it is amazing stuff.

Here is a slice i got from our club today.
1497853351_img_1471.jpg

1497853352_img_1472.jpg

It has the worlds best Geologists Guessing What, when, how and why... I was lucky to do a swap for a fair amount of this stuff for other 'rare' stuff from the New England Region with Ruth several years ago... And yes They are a Special Breed up that way.. And some very Unique Rocks as well... :)

LW...

Have seen quite a bit of zebra stone, but in my opinion BIF (banded ironstone formation) leaves it well behind.
Much harder, takes a better polish and being essentially red and black is a far more attractive rock.

If I knew how to include a pic, have some interesting rough to show.
Mike

We bought quite a few trinkets made from Zebra stone including a great looking egg on a trip to NT. Its a bar favourite and talking piece when wet.

GT :)

Kind of sucks imo just like how the want to cover Beumaurice cliffs in concrete to 'preserve'. Whats poo is ive seen heaps thrown out 'because its an easy to get or standard rock'. Wish i was born in 1950

AtomRat said:
Kind of sucks imo just like how the want to cover Beumaurice cliffs in concrete to 'preserve'. Whats poo is ive seen heaps thrown out 'because its an easy to get or standard rock'. Wish i was born in 1950

I think they're only preserving the main horizontal deposit AR. I think they're still mining smaller, deeper ones. A large, horizontal mass of zebra rock sitting on the surface would be an impressive sight and a natural wonder to behold - maybe they have plans for a tourist park? :)

But yeah I agree that sometimes efforts to preserve can go too far and have effects that benefit no one. Like the efforts to stop fossicking in certain areas based on the notion of environmental damage, while still allowing four wheel drive clubs and horse riders access to the area. Off road driving for the fun of it can rip up far more ground than a bit of fossicking is ever likely to move, except in a few extremely popular spots and both 4WD tyres and horses hooves can carry and spread weed seeds. It peeves me how some certain people in policy making positions seem to see no difference between a weekend fossicker with a pick and shovel and a mining company ripping up billions of tonnes of dirt and making holes that can be seen from space. :(

Going on that remarkable looking piece that Shivan has there, I've just decided that a piece of unknown material in one of dad's rock cases that originally came from my old granddad's collection is probably zebra stone as well. I've always wondered what it was. It forms the most amazing and beautiful picture, with the patterns and colours creating an image that you could almost swear was a photograph of a beach and estuary at low tide with the sun setting behind. It's just mind-blowing how things like this can form in nature without any help from human hand.

I Agree Shivan, Well done to the Owners. :Y: .. When I was out there a few years ago, It was everywhere...And a few deposits spread over the property..

LW...

Latest posts