A couple of finds during trip around Oz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the time to do much detecting (or flying the Mavic) during this trip, but did have an interesting find at an old WWW2 airfield site on a place where I was doing some vollie work. I had been mainly playing around near where there were the concrete slabs of their quarters buildings, only finding a few old bottles and some other bits and pieces, but an I heard that an old bloke that I knew was doing some "fossicking" in the area with a back-end loader, not the use of a detector, pick or the like for him. He was looking for the remains of where he hoped that there were some old underground aircraft workshops or the like, under some sand dunes. Note that the site is not a classified site and no mining related issues.

So the day before I left the place I went down to have a look at where he was and if he was finding anything. Bottom line he had dug about 8-10 dirty big holes in the side of the dune about 3 metres apart and hadn't found anything. Just to pass the time I fished out the 7000, did a bit of swinging and soon started to find very heavy lumps of steel/iron, that turned out to be bomb fragments. I then decided to have a quick look near where he had started digging but about 500mm above where he had dug with his digger and straight away got a very solid signal. After about 300mm of digging in very soft sand, out came a very live 50cal machine gun round, with a blue tip still clearly visible. Then came several rusty chunks of a 50 cal feed belt and then another two empty 50 cal shell casings, but both still had an UN-fired primer.

When I showed the bloke with the digger, he immediately came back and started digging further into the sand dune at that point, but nothing else showed up in that hole or his others that I checked with the 7000. I did find some more shell fragments further up the hill, but no more ammo or the like. Well that was it for him, he had to go back to the station for the night where he was working and had 5 days solid work in front of him, so I drove back to the old quarters are to see what I else I could find. A few bits and pieces, such as coke bottle, stacks of beer bottles, 44 gal drum lids, etc.

Although I didn't say so to the old bloke, I have a feeling the the bomb fragments could indicate that they blew the joint up rather than leave it for folk like us to find and the ammo bits that I have found were likely from a machine gun post guarding the post, so was outside the immediate blast area.

Most of the 50cal rusty ammo belt bits have not survived the recent corrugated roads well that I have been on, I seem to have also lost a couple of bits, and I gave some of the bits to the old bloke with the digger, including an empty 50 cal shell.

So my question are -
- Should I place a photo of the live ammo on the site
- What in the heck should I do with it as it could go "bang".
o - I have wrapped it up in tissues, etc to try and stop that from happening, but am still a bit iffy about what to do with it.

Following are some of the bits, minus the live ammo, misplaced stuff and some other bottles.

1497954716_smallfinds1.jpg

Rob P

I'd be handing the live ammo into the next police station you go past. If it went bang you could be injured by casing bursting and bits flying around, highly unlikely the projectile would have enough velocity to do much harm over more than a few feet
cheers Keith

I just did a bit of 'net searching and it appears that the live one may be an incendiary round (blue tip), so may have been ammo to load into an aircraft, as I wouldn't have thought that they used incendiary rounds from a ground based machine gun mount.

I found another spot that could have been a machine gun spot, but didn't have the time to do in any detecting there before I had to leave the site.

Rob P

Cartridge, Caliber .50 BMG, Incendiary, M23
This cartridge is used against unarmored, flammable targets. The tip of the bullet is painted blue with a light blue ring.
Cartridge, Caliber .50 BMG, Incendiary, M1
This cartridge is used against unarmored, flammable targets. The incendiary bullet has a light blue tip.

7.62marksman said:
Cartridge, Caliber .50 BMG, Incendiary, M23
This cartridge is used against unarmored, flammable targets. The tip of the bullet is painted blue with a light blue ring.
Cartridge, Caliber .50 BMG, Incendiary, M1
This cartridge is used against unarmored, flammable targets. The incendiary bullet has a light blue tip.

Looks like it is the M1 version as just the one light blue tip and not the blue with light blue ring.

Rob P.

It is in very good shape. Lucky the bloke didn't hit it with his back-hoe as he was 500mm away from it.

Looks like I need to dispose of it correctly ASAP and perhaps ask the mods to either remove or edit the post to remove the live shell references.

Rob P.

Any live ammunition should not be handled at all.
Especially degraded military UXO.
An incident at Mogo a little while ago resulted in a person
been injured by a live signal flare that she picked up off the
ground.
Please be careful with a detector around old Army locations.
You may get a very nasty surprise.

No i would leave the post up so people know what to do if they find something like that
If its in good condition it should be ok to transport it however if it was damaged or corroded then leave it where it is make it and pass on the location to police or military
Some areas that we will detect in you will find bigger stuff then .50 cal especially on beaches or old and forgotten live firing ranges so people need to know what to do

7.62marksman said:
No i would leave the post up so people know what to do if they find something like that
If its in good condition it should be ok to transport it however if it was damaged or corroded then leave it where it is make it and pass on the location to police or military
Some areas that we will detect in you will find bigger stuff then .50 cal especially on beaches or old and forgotten live firing ranges so people need to know what to do

100% agree with this comment people need to know what to do IF they find any thing like this.

Had 3 bombs come in the scrap yard once....Watching the army blokes handling them ver very very slowly and putting them in a sand bed to take to the range for exploding was a bit hairy. The bloke in charge reckons everyone got super lucky, the farmer who inadvertently loaded them in the container and us workers when they were tipped on the ground. They weren't small the smallest of the 3 was the size of a football and the biggest and old tank shell couple feet long. I was keen to go watch the explosion but civilians can't get access.

Never thought about it detecting.

Latest posts