The Buckland Valley Gold Fields History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this a month or two ago but defered from the main topic so thought it would be Interesting to see if anyone Knowes or would like to add to this.

Wondering if anyone has been to the Buckland River Bright Victoria , they say there are over 10'000 souls buried all along it no grave markings all destroyed in the fifties bushfire's, Typhoid was the biggest killer and hundreds died from snakes, by day they were out panning and buried by night most hid their gold in caches because there was a lot of thieving going on those caches are still out there if your game to go looking for them, was there last year and it was crawling with snakes but boy that area had some gold.

Its a great read History of the Buckland

That's a nice area, but most of the waterways are off limits, bloody long drive from Melb too.
Funnily enough I never saw a snake there, but good old size 12 boots crashing through the bush make them scatter, probably dozens all around me and I didn't know.

The Buckland has a lot of history to it. It was the site of the first large scale race riots in Australia, where the Anglo Saxons chased off the Chinese miners.
Some BIG dredges operated in the area, now we can't even take a shovel there.

Occasional_panner said:
Sorry to derail the thread Gravity :eek:

nucopia said:
bbrook said:
No greenies around in 1914 when that list was enacted !!!
thanks , Brett
So why was it made off limits back then Brett?
Have a look here mate and continue the discussion there. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2503

Wow that's good homework with plenty of reading to boot ! as said was there last spring was on the bike with my son and found an old stone miners hut, almost steped on a red belly black so back on our bikes and off we went, It's a very interesting place so whenever you get a chance to go camping there It's great for a look take a bike and get on the tracks along the river, unfortuntly will have to leave detectors at home. :N:

Mate, I think you'll find that area is fine to detect, as you just need to stay away from nat parks, NCR, Ref area.
A big portion of that area is state forest.
Have a look here http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer
Click on legend to see what type of land it is that you are interested in.

Have another read through here to refresh the memory http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea...-prospecting-and-fossicking/land-access-rules

Alluvial is totally different, a off limits steam/river can go through an area that you can detect on(state forest), ie no panning sluicing in the water, but detect on the dry land is fine.

So yes go detecting there and find those hidden stashes, plenty of chinese coins to be found there apparently.

Thanks for the update Ocp will now have a closer look because it's got so much history and a beautiful place to go with the family and am sure there's a find or two around, this is probably the best time of year to go because of the snake problem...The caravan site we were on in Bright had to call in the rangers to remove a large tiger snake from the toddlers pool :eek: so dont get in the scrub come spring /summer.

Thanks again for the info will print it off and keep in my files for a trip autumm next year. :Y:

I hear tell of plenty of ghosts there, only once did I see something I simply can't explain, I'm not a believer, but bugger me I just don't have an explanation for it. I don't think I'd camp there by myself again. Plenty of fellas have similar stories from that valley.

Occasional_panner said:
I hear tell of plenty of ghosts there, only once did I see something I simply can't explain, I'm not a believer, but bugger me I just don't have an explanation for it. I don't think I'd camp there by myself again. Plenty of fellas have similar stories from that valley.

Well c'mon, don't just leave us hanging :)

Still gives me goose bumps just remembering it, just got the chills down my spine now remembering it.
Like I said I'm not going there alone again.

Thanks OcP
Interesting read on the other thread.. Still doesnt clearly explain every thing but at least it explains a little about why how the exemption list was put in is in place. A lot of conjecture :(
Needs to be challenged through... :Y:

Occasional_panner said:
Still gives me goose bumps just remembering it, just got the chills down my spine now remembering it.
Like I said I'm not going there alone again.

Tell us what was it 8)

Alright!
I was camped along the buckland on one of the many flats there on a nice still summer night but there was plenty of moonlight so you could still see really well.
I was sitting by the fire in my chair having a beer and this old timer fella came past with this old antique wheel barrow with a wooden wheel. He went straight past my camp without looking at me, then he went straight through the trunk of this big tree and carried on his way.
Like I said I'm not a believer but I just can't explain that. :|