Best raked camp in WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of pics of me and my boys cutting firewood down south at our place. Not as tough as your old man but gets them off technology :Y:

1497930368_img_33611.jpg

1497930391_img_33699.jpg

1497930408_img_33811.jpg

Good to see the boys outside in the rough and not on a playstation :Y: Your boy on the log could be doing the BCF add :Y:
Mate you could have got away with the tough as nails ....................... but those gloves gave you away ;) :D :D :D :D :D
Some big timber there .................. where are you south ? Looks a bit like gippsland area ?

Haha, yeah the gloves :N: South coast WA a place called Walpole, Valley of the Giants

I'm in Kalgoorlie ATM so that's the holiday house now.

Goldflower said:
Haha, yeah the gloves :N: South coast WA a place called Walpole, Valley of the Giants

I'm in Kalgoorlie ATM so that's the holiday house now.

Half your luck and picking up those yellow rocks I hope ? :Y:

Goldflower said:

Great looking campsite and even better looking tucker there GF.

xcvator said:
He's a mean looking bloke at the front in that 1st picture :eek: :eek: :lol:

My kids grew up in the big forest and never strayed far from the house when the sun went down as it got a bit scary. I told them not to worry as the scariest thing out there was me......lol great spot lighting for critters at night :Y:

Hey GF, was wondering what sort of timber you have down there, I make fishing lures out of timber,red cedar,white beech, but as long as its buoyant, ill give it a go.
Dont even paint some, leave em natural, nudes we call em.

davent said:
Hey GF, was wondering what sort of timber you have down there, I make fishing lures out of timber,red cedar,white beech, but as long as its buoyant, ill give it a go.
Dont even paint some, leave em natural, nudes we call em.

Hi mate, the firewood you see there is Red Tingle (Eucalyptus Jacksonii) I'm not sure how buoyant it is in small pieces??.
There is also Karri, Marri, Jarrah, Karri Oak and Sheoak (awesome grain) very pretty.

Those very big Red Tingle slabs were BIG cuts, I won't forget that day in a hurry.
This timber I milled and the firewood cut is all from windfalls.

So I did have a chuckle when we spoke earlier in the thread about working, camping, detecting under trees as it is dangerous.
Walking around my place can be hazardous after a big rain. I have been woken in the night with the sound of one of these giants coming down and believe me, its like something you have never heard.

1497995464_big_slabs.jpg

1497995485_big_tingle.jpg

Goldflower said:
Those very big Red Tingle slabs were BIG cuts, I won't forget that day in a hurry.
This timber I milled and the firewood cut is all from windfalls.

So I did have a chuckle when we spoke earlier in the thread about working, camping, detecting under trees as it is dangerous.
Walking around my place can be hazardous after a big rain. I have been woken in the night with the sound of one of these giants coming down and believe me, its like something you have never heard.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9545/1497995464_big_slabs.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9545/1497995485_big_tingle.jpg

Hi Goldflower.

How long do you season those slabs for ?

I would like to pick up some for furniture ( bartops , tables and chopping blocks ) but its hard to find ready in the right condition and i dont have much of an eye for timber , i have an uncle who ran sawmills for decades , and he still has 2 - 1/2 fingers and one thumb left to prove it , not because he is dumb but just because he throws himself at work and goes hard like a steam train all day , 7 days a week so he does double the hours of anyone else. lol

Do you use the timber yourself or cut to resell ?

Bogger said:
Yes mate that's him ....................... original bushie tough as nails. I've seen him sink an axe into his leg handle deep and just wrap a hankie around it and keep working ................ then drove the old Austin 8 ute home and light the chip heater and have a bath as he didn't want to go to the doctors dirty. I know where I would have been heading dirt or no dirt. He used to lug wheat before school and then unhitch the draught horse and ride it to the Moliagul school. Men of his era I think were just tough simply because they had to be as life in those days was just that ................. tough. :Y:
Those pics were taken at Woodbrook in Victoria January 1960 so I can guess it wasn't with a digital camera :D

now that does hurt and i know cos i been there . i drove the freshly sharpened shave your arm sharp full size axe into my leg but only about 3/4 of the head deep and in behind my shin bone . but a couple of mates drove me from the back of the 42000 acre property into town to hospital about an hour and a half drive where the wound was scrubbed out to remove the rotten bark bits of wood and other sundries ,that was fun fun fun . then the needle and cotton was brought into action 65 stitches later and quite a few needles later i was all done and sent packing . it was only about 2 months before the thing stopped burning if i stood for more than 30 minutes at a time . but the first week was just a never ending rock hard cramp in my whole leg not in a hurry to do it again .

johno

Can you believe those Hargan saws even had a patent on them. Try getting away with that kind of stuff these days.