Ramjet's detector finds for 2017. . XP Deus.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Cool :cool: a bit like me :lol:

I have been wondering when I would see a round fitty here :p

That is a $10.00 bill right there :Y:

B5MECH said:
Heatho said:
Mate that is a very cool find, errr not the dinosaur, I mean the round 50c in case you couldn't tell. :p

Very rare find I reckon. :Y:
:lol: It's a dinosaur :eek: :lol: ...GF was wondering what was with the sweet potato :lol:
Nice coin RJ :cool: :Y: ...is that the first on PA found?

First Dinosaur? Definitely :D :eek: :lol: ]:D

Not only the accomplished detectorists, but true hobbyists, you blokes keep finding the patches hey? Love the round one, looks to be in pretty good shape!

There has been some chat on a local history group about one of the shanty towns in the Newcastle area. "Hollywood" was in some suburban bush land from the 1930s to 60s. It is believed about 80 people lived in rough houses. The pic I have included is from 1941. I have been in there before with Rocket, Jacob and a couple of others. There is a road planned to go through the site this year so I thought I would try to rescue a few treasures before they go under the bulldozer. It is really over grown so difficult to detect but I managed a couple of finds. The thrip, halfpenny and razor handle were all surface finds. I thing recent rain may have uncovered them as even today the was a little trickle of a stream running down the path. The sixpence is 1909 and I found it plus the 1 Yen coin out beside the old tramway. The 1 yen was designed in 1955 and is still in use today so I don't have a firm date on it. It was nice to get out in the sunshine after a couple of weeks of rain. The last pic is from Thursday when Rocket and I attempted to get a hunt in but we got rained out after a short hunt.

1497851252_hwood.jpg

1497851225_c.jpg

1497851225_d.jpg

1497851225_e.jpg

1497851226_g.jpg

1497851226_h.jpg

1497851252_j.jpg

1497851252_20170619_150758.jpg

Interesting group,the 2nd last photo looks Japanese :) and I read the rest of the post and it is :D

And the eroded soil with the coin sticking out is nice,I found a heap of pennies in Rathmines exactly like that,with the eye 8)

Cool story and photo :cool:

Might have to take your whipper sniper next run...looks promising if there washing out of the dirt :cool: :Y:
What's with the dog...... 8) :eek: it's got a long neck and a chicken head :eek: ...or is it an mini Alpacker :lol: looks experimental :p

too much information :eek: ,... someone else gunna cut your grass there RJ ! :eek:
but, I do like your silvers :p :lol:

Mackka said:
Do I understand that the building has gone, if not should be heratige listed,
Mackka

The site was bulldozed by the council in the 1960s. I don't think there is enough interest for it to be heritage listed. As I have stated... A major road will be pushed through the site later this year.

Interesting site Rod, going by the construction of those buildings I didn't think much would remain of them. You get similar old housing down here that has either been raised by heavy equipment, or have succumbed to bushfires, plus there is very little research information on their existence on the first place (ie. Lots of searching to find the sites in the first place). Those coins are about all the history that remains of that site unfortunately, at least they were saved from future progress. :Y:

Generally if councils/local government want to Heritage list sites, they mainly chose sites that are convenient and cost the least to keep in their original state. Was quite annoyed to find that the SA state government destroyed some WW2 concrete communications bunkers north of Adelaide to make way for a new bypass - not a mention in the press of that deplorable act.

Latest posts