Best Waterproof Detectors?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to convince myself to buy a waterproof detector next week for my 4 month stay on the Sunshine Coast which starts tomorrow :cool:

I believe that the CTX 3030 will be hard to beat,but I would still like to hear about some other brands also.

I am hoping to get good quality information from real time experience from at least 2 other brands if I can.

Yes I am also considering buying a well maintained second hand machine.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :Y:

Define what you call water proof... ie. how deep and how long do you intend to be under water..

Would not dive with my CTX or have it submersed for any length of time... Splash proof :)

but

Happy to dive with the Excalibur...

Good question :)

Not diving today,probably only hip high.

I do have my hard wired C Scope but the coil is wide and wants to float,I also worry about it getting wet although I have purchased an after market "waterproof" cover.

I prefer to detect without using headphones keeping the cover open,dumb I know having a cover and not using it but maybe I need to use headphones keeping the lid closed.

I should try my C Scope first and wait to see how I go.

I still have a lot to learn :)

Hip high is easy... Just watch out for Bull sharks at certain times and places...

Get an At Pro and that way you will leave plenty for the rest of us LOL.

As Ramjet mentioned, minelab excalibur would be good if you want to snorkel and detect. I wouldn't really want to dive with my CTX either as AM said but would probably use it if I were wading up to thigh or hip height.

Gotta ask yourself if you really want spend $2600 on a detector though? I did and love it. :Y:

Buy a cheap 2nd hand garett infinium for snorkling, waist high water or on the sand. They are very good for that apparently.

Hi guys,
I'm about to try my luck with some beach hunting here in Victoria now that summer is coming, including some diving as well.
BUT...I am having a real dilemma deciding on what type of detector to buy....PI or VLF?
I'm deciding between the Excalibur or Sea Hunter or any other detector such as the Whites or Tesoro's.
I really don't think the brand is a huge deciding factor here, just the technology.
If anyone has had experience using both types of machines i would really appreciate your comments.
Cheers.

If you want to go in the water, then Excal II.

If you will mainly be doing the beach with a bit of shallow wading, and you want something lighter for inland use, then CTX3030.

PI's like the SD or GP series can go super deep on wet sand but you will dig deep for bobby pins, tent pegs, sparkler wire etc. No good for diving.

Cheers,

Nenad

Thanks for your reply Phase Tech. I already have a PI machine and a couple of VLF's for my inland detecting needs. Now trying to decide on a fully submersible machine. I'm leaning towards the Excal as a VLF option or the Tesoro Sand Shark as a PI option?

Excal is multi freq vlf (BBS) so sits somewhere between single freq VLF and PI for performance, but runs quieter in the salt than both of them.

Best thing about BBS is full depth discrimination. Using a PI can get a bit too much in a very short time. I still do pull one out on occasion but only after I've sussed the area out with the Sovereign. How often it nulls will tell you how much iron is there.

Latest posts