Has anyone ever had sunscreen or deodorant give a signal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

We have been out to Clermont QLD for a week with our new GPZ 7000 and SDC2300 and a couple of days ago had a weird experience. I had put sunscreen on my arms and back of the hands and set off detecting with the 7000. Found a target and while digging it and picking soil up into a plastic scoop to wave under the coil I couldn't for the life of me pinpoint where the target was. Every scoop gave off a signal, but then nothing when I tipped the scoop's contents onto the top of the coil. After a while I realised every scoop gave a signal so I emptied the scoop and still got a signal. I ditched the scoop and just waved my arm under the coil away from the hole and got a good signal. Tried the other arm and still got the same thing. Went back to the car, wiped off the bottom of the coil with a moist towel, waved my hand under and still got a loud noise. When I rubbed my hand on the coil it got very excited. Called my wife over and she tried waving her hands under the 7000 and nothing happened. She didn't have sunscreen on. I waved my arms and hands about under her SDC and nothing happened. I washed off my arms as best I could and the signal diminished, but didn't completely disappear. Was able to continue the day, found a couple of little bits for the day (total 0.38 grams). Had a shower that night and got all the sunscreen off me. Tried next day and everything was normal. Could wave my arm around under the coil with no reaction whatsoever.

I had rubbed Voltaren Emulgel onto the wife's stiff back that morning out in the field just before applying the sunscreen. I also used a roll-on Rexona deodorant which contains aluminium earlier that morning which may have gotten some on my hands, but had washed my hands several times after using that.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? Could it have been any one of the 3 products or a combination of all 3 or something else altogether?

Sunscreen is usually sticky........May have been a bit of gold stuck on your arm/hand.

Or the other option is alien implants.
itsaliens.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Did you have a backpack on?
I had a small pack on my back one day, with my car keys in the top pocket. Every time I bent over with the scoop near the coil I got a signal!
I reckon a muesli bar in a foil pack would do the same. Took me hours to work out what it was! Lol.

Sunscreen has titanium dioxide but you wouldn't really think that would set off the Zed. Did you have a pinpointer with you? Some pinpointers mess with detectors even when switched off.

Ground dirt coulda been rife with fines, the sorta dirt they woulda gathered up and worked to remove pounds of gold as fine powdery sand.
Just saying Troutman, you know, with sticky sunscreen n all, you might be walking over the spread out proverbial pot of gold ,.... just that the leprechauns are poking with ya !
:p ;) ;)

Don't wear any jewelry, don't have any bionic limbs or titanium hip replacements (yet). I did try eliminating just about everything I was wearing including taking off the harness, the pinpointer, the magnet out of my back pocket etc. Even took my shirt off, but stopped there at semi-naked. Everything I was wearing was the same as I was wearing the day before and the day after, but it only did this on the one day. I do wear spectacles and they do set off the coil if I lean over top of it too far, so I have to keep my head back when crouched or kneeling down to dig and scoop. I had my wife holding the detector and I was standing away from it wearing just my jeans and non-metal containing shoes with only my hands/arms under it and it was still going off. It only settled down after I'd scrubbed my arms with some soap and water.

What Silver and LC76 say could have something to do with it. The area we were in had been surface mined and the stuff we were detecting in was the replaced material after the reclamation works some 15 years or so ago. We have been told it was only the very rich pockets that were mined. It is very dry and dusty there, maybe there is fine, fine gold in the dust. If so I may have found a new way of mining fine gold. Coat your naked self in sunscreen, roll around in the tailing dumps, shower and catch the runoff!!!

Now that we are home I am going to try some experiments with the sunscreen and deodorant to see if we can repeat the experience.

Latest posts