mig or tig or?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twapster said:
Ive seen some reasonable tigs at about the $600-$800 mark second hand so save up and enjoy using a proper machine for the job. Its much more satisfying doing it yourself, and if you stuff up, well theres always a pop rivet solution! lol

lol @ rivet...gumtree...miller econo hf ac/dc tig...$650...45 mins drive...hmmmm?

Today I went and inquired about doing a cert 2 in welding and engineering at tafe.

a welding booth..
1497511493_wp_20170615_15_13_45_pro.jpg

some other useful things :lol: ...
1497511588_wp_20170615_15_14_05_pro.jpg

might be staying back after class a bit :lol:

It is always the same, if you cant get it done right, do it yourself.
Shed full of tools.

Sometimes you need to be on the spot when the work is done to make sure it is done as you wanted.
Seems no one understands a description, picture on paper or photo.
Maybe they are not listening so closely.
:(

Get your training and tools, make as many as you can to cover that cost.

7.62marksman said:
i can see nice high-banker coming out of there :D :D :D :D
I told the teacher what I do and have done and what has inspired my interest to learn how to weld.

he tells me I will get to choose my own project(phuckin beautiful :lol: )

I might anodise it gold ;)

Hmmmm, maybe someone has mention this already, but I think the youtube vid saying they are fluxless alloy welding rods is missleading, and false advertising. You are "NOT" welding using this product. You are "SOLDERING" it, big difference hey. Effectively you are gluing it.
I highly do not recommend using this product for the fabrication of a sluice.
Yep, if you find a pin hole in your can of beer, go for it!

mudgee hunter said:
Hmmmm, maybe someone has mention this already, but I think the youtube vid saying they are fluxless alloy welding rods is missleading, and false advertising. You are "NOT" welding using this product. You are "SOLDERING" it, big difference hey. Effectively you are gluing it.
I highly do not recommend using this product for the fabrication of a sluice.
Yep, if you find a pin hole in your can of beer, go for it!

Capillary action is a fair jump from gluing...

But I agree!
Bring on the tig!
Do a course before you buy a machine and you will soon learn that the extra money spent on a decent ac/hf machine is worth it!
Something with a nice variable foot pedal. mmmmmm...... :p :p :p

Laying a beautiful row of aluminium pennies is pretty bloody satisfying.

Look forward to reading about it!!

Keep em coming 20x :Y: :Y:

those aluminium brazing rods are good for the beer cans not much else , its appears to have high magnesium content and from my observations it does not penetrate the aluminium to any structural effect, I even brought some muzzie weld rods from the USA ok if you can see past the yellow flare when ready to poly the brazing rod the flux causes the problem, heat dissipation thru the aluminium is hard to keep up with and remember when luminous is at the temp for brazing one sec longer and its molten, black carbon from an oxadizing flame is an indicator I have decided that the ac dc tig welder only is the toy to but don't but crap like a rossi or its twin no service in australia , but the guy from wyong offers a 5 year warranty now that s something to think about when spending around $1800 but you can weld or braze almost any of metals.
if your local tafe runs welding course go for it like 20X , I've been trying to get my son to do it but the tafe is not local

Gilly47 said:
Chased up tig welding at TAFE, its at St George campus, cost was $2700.

scared me a little

ray
i

:eek:

I did 9 welding certifications at Tafe in 1996 -1997 and I think they cost me $90 per ticket .

I would shop around if I was you , even allowing for inflation that's a stinker.

Did they tell you how long the theory module was ?

this coarse is 2 days a week for 6 months, 20% theory. I'm on Centrelink so total cost $480, possibly half that
if I get disability(in process)..

20xwater said:
this coarse is 2 days a week for 6 months, 20% theory. I'm on Centrelink so total cost $480, possibly half that
if I get disability(in process)..

That's pretty good considering the hours involved in the course.

From the photos some of their machines are very old , after a few months when you have picked up the basics Try to get access to use a pulse or double pulse MIG on light gauge Aluminium and stainless .

The high end pulse MIG machines these days can weld as thin as 0.6 mm stainless and 1.2mm Aluminium , the results are sexy , welding times are 20 X faster ;) , and way less distortion.

If they don't have pulse machines there try asking the local BOC store if you can demo one in their store so you can see the difference.
They will blow your socks off .

(The machines I mean not the staff).

Ryan27 said:
Nightjar said:
Ryan27,
What program are you using for your design drawings?

This is off topic but is everyone aware you can purchase/ no rent, oxy/acet in NSW & Vic?
We are still waiting for Cobb & Co to bring it to the West.

http://www.tradegas.com.au/index.html
Auto desk Inventor for sheet metal developed parts. We are testing some other program's at the moment.
However Inventor seems to be able to handle prototyping pretty well.

Me, personally would consider Solidworks. After using 8 different design packages i found that solidworks is the most user friendly out of all of them.
Inventor is good but to do some things in it it will need more steps to get the same job done in Slw's, also mating is better in Slw's than Inventor, only down side to Slw's is cost @ $12000 a seat for premium/professional.

Latest posts