Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
An overlay that i got for google earth from a guy south of here (ulladulla nsw)
He sells the program on ebay think around $15 _ $20 does all of australia

You can get these overlays for free. Some may be available in our Gold maps and resources section. I will try find them when I have the time.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=49

7.62marksman said:
Widget
did you get my email last night ?????????????????????????

Oh ya, I did. Sorry been flat out, was gonna call on weekend if available ?

Hey 7.62marksman, sorry phone died on me :(. Thanks heaps for the offer and the tips, it's very much appreciated :). Ill check out those detectors you mentioned too and get back to you, very kind offer, thankyou :) :Y:

All good ring back when you can
look up that minelab if its ok for you i will send it up just return it when you can afford your own
At least that way you get to save a few more dollars for a bit better one

Hi there, I'm a long time reader first time poster! I've been prospecting for 4 years, mainly on beach sites and river beds and so far really enjoyed the hobby. Gotta be honest, in the past I've been a "switch on & sweep" kind of prospector with a cheap $80 detector which we've had some fun with but I'm wanting to step up my game & learn some more! I only have a small budget $400, which I know seriously limits my options however I'd really like to break into something that might pick up some gold with all the searching I'm doing. I've been offered a secondhand Eureka gold for $400, seems to be in pretty good nic. My research tells me that it's not the best in high mineralised areas however I THINK it might suit my needs being a novice with a tiny budget doing treasure/relic/coin/jewellery and some gold prospecting? Am I way off base here? Is the Eureka Gold easy to use for a novice? Should I be focusing my search on another detector altogether? I'd really appreciate any advice from the brains trust here on this forum please....there's so much to learn!

Hi Indahillz there are a lot of people that put the Eureka doen but used right its a good detector for the dollars there are a few good wright ups on here as well if you do a search lam very happy with mine
Roy

Im no expert on gold detecting but Id buy a used minelab xterra gold pack geat detector for coins and relics.
You get 2 coils one for coins one for gold.
You might want to find out what its like on gold though.
Just my thoughts
Sam

Thanks Roy & Sam. Both solid options suggested, much appreciated. And good to know you're happy with you're Eureka Roy. Did you find it easy to learn how to use and get the right settings?

I might do some more research on that xterra Sam. By the looks of it might well be a little bit easier for me to get the hang of.

Cheers

Indahillz said:
Thanks Roy & Sam. Both solid options suggested, much appreciated. And good to know you're happy with you're Eureka Roy. Did you find it easy to learn how to use and get the right settings?

I might do some more research on that xterra Sam. By the looks of it might well be a little bit easier for me to get the hang of.

Cheers

I have the xterra gold pack as well and its easy to use the Eureka is not hard to learn but it is diffrent to the xterra the main differences is the Eureka dies not have a screen like the xterra so you have to learn the tones
Roy

Thanks Roy. Considering you have both models I'm interested to know if you have a preference? Is the xterra up to the job??

Good morning all,

I am in the market for my first detector and was just after some advice from some more experienced people. Currently I have my eyes on either buying a new mine lab go find 40 or buying a second hand x terra 305 or 705, any other suggestions are welcome keeping in mind my budget for my first is <$500.

Thank you for your feedback

Latest posts