Victoria - what licence do you need

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help with your question it sounds like Blackwood requires further investigation :Y: good luck.

G,day Ben You would need either an exploration Licence taken out over the area you are interested in sampling Or a Prospecting Licence if the area is 5 hectares or less. You would have to submit detailed work plans for both of these and enviromental impact statements, Possibly go through native title and heritage Vic processes as well.
A Prospecting licence lasts for 5 years and is non renewable but allows you to define a resource by whatever means you deem as nessarcary in your work plan. Ie Trenching, Shaft sinking, Test drilling, You can test small You can remove small amounts of ore for sampling and production recovery verification purposes ;) :rolleyes: but you cant go into full on production.

That's good info Jethro.

I am assuming this only relates to private property? What about if the area you are looking at is in state forest? Same process or extra steps to be taken or simply a no go zone?

Thanks.

G,day N,E No not only Private property it also relates to Public land as well. Extras on public land / State Forest would include a sizable bond for reabilitation of the land. Public / community consultation process. and probably other costly red tape that I have forgotten.
At the end of the day getting any kind of license to explore or mine on public land is a long and costly process for a small operator with lots of pitfalls & no guarantee of a successful outcome.

Hi to puddler Bill
Thank you for you insight into the subject. I am a newbe as is my partner and we would like to do some prospecting in Vic.
Have no idea where to start as far as area goes we are looking at using detectors
Look forward to your reply

tednjan01 said:
Hi to puddler Bill
Thank you for you insight into the subject. I am a newbe as is my partner and we would like to do some prospecting in Vic.
Have no idea where to start as far as area goes we are looking at using detectors
Look forward to your reply

Hey Ted,
If you look at Bill's avatar you will see that he is a 'guest', therefore not on this forum any more.
I'm sure others may have info for you though.

Latest posts