VLF loudest audio for hearing impaired?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My father in law is keen to get into detecting. He lives in SA but has a trip up to longreach planned with plenty of stops on the way. I suggested a vlf with target id so he can go for coins and relics on beaches and in parks....he doesn't want one that 'won't' get gold as well though!!! We talked about vlfs in our hot ground, the high freq v lower freq and the fact that he won't visit many 'gold fields' often.

Today i started thinking about his hearing aids and very poor hearing. I was looking at a second hand gold racer on this sight but then from clips i see it is a real 'zipzip' noise that he might not pick up. My mates deus is all i know (and love) re vlfs and i think it would do the job with a good speaker & so many tone options....are there louder target signal vlfs that can still be used for coins - and are maybe cheaper? I think he won't be keen to wear headphones....
His hearing aids are the old school type with the battery behind the ear-don't suppose they could affect the detector?

lastly could the gm1000 be an option for coins etc as i hear the target response is loud....

thanks for listening:)

It may be better if he had a look at upgrading his hearing aids, he may or may not be able to get medibank/pensioner/seniors/extras rebates that would make them cheap/free then look at which detector to get.
Got to think out side the square a bit :)

Stru said:
Hi guys,
My father in law is keen to get into detecting. He lives in SA but has a trip up to longreach planned with plenty of stops on the way. I suggested a vlf with target id so he can go for coins and relics on beaches and in parks....he doesn't want one that 'won't' get gold as well though!!! We talked about vlfs in our hot ground, the high freq v lower freq and the fact that he won't visit many 'gold fields' often.

Today i started thinking about his hearing aids and very poor hearing. I was looking at a second hand gold racer on this sight but then from clips i see it is a real 'zipzip' noise that he might not pick up. My mates deus is all i know (and love) re vlfs and i think it would do the job with a good speaker & so many tone options....are there louder target signal vlfs that can still be used for coins - and are maybe cheaper? I think he won't be keen to wear headphones....
His hearing aids are the old school type with the battery behind the ear-don't suppose they could affect the detector?

lastly could the gm1000 be an option for coins etc as i hear the target response is loud....

thanks for listening:)

Having a hearing disability is a significant disadvantage for detecting, especially if you want to hear the potential good targets, deep coins, nuggets etc.
You could try boosting up the audio response, but be warned loud noise can increase hearing loss. especially when headphones are used.

What about a set of phones with inductive couplers in them. ?
Better have a look around.

I'm hearing impaired in both ears with 60% loss at certain frequencies. Have you father-in-law see his audiologist and get printout on what frequencies he hears best. I already had a secondhand GPX 4500 with headphones. I contacted Minelab, they responded quickly, their response is below and I find that helps a lot.

Yes you can adjust the tone on your GPX from the menu.

1. In the main menus use the function select knob to navigate your way through the menu until you reach a setting called Audio tone this is set to 50 as a factory preset.
2. Then using the setting knob adjust the setting anti-clockwise until you reach a desired tone that you can hear.
3. Move the function select knob clockwise to return back to the main menu.

I hope this helps,

Tuning the frequency or frequancies as minelab suggested should work quite well. Even the SDC has 2 frequency band outputs, I think they are 700hz as preset and 400hz selectable.

Regarding treasure detectors the CTX is very flexible with widely selectable output frequencies as is the Deus, the benefit too is they both have a visual numerical ID function as well.

The Makro Racer goes one better by offering a vibration function for the hearing impaired.

http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html

Hi heatho, tks for the info. I am liking the racer and there is still one for sale in the 'for sale' section, i just haven't heard back from the seller in a week now...

Heatho said:
Tuning the frequency or frequancies as minelab suggested should work quite well. Even the SDC has 2 frequency band outputs, I think they are 700hz as preset and 400hz selectable.

Regarding treasure detectors the CTX is very flexible with widely selectable output frequencies as is the Deus, the benefit too is they both have a visual numerical ID function as well.

The Makro Racer goes one better by offering a vibration function for the hearing impaired.

http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html

I remember that you tube clip where the guy had set all his desirable targets as low tones vs the usual high tones for high conductors - made it a lot easier to isolate out non-ferrous targets in iron laden areas, espcially effective if you no longer have effective hearing in the upper frequency range. As you mentioned, the CTX and Deus are similar in the way they can allocate tones for specific range of targets, and also be able to fully adjust the tone frequency. Pretty sure XP also expanded the tone frequency range even further on new V4.0 software as well.

Hi Stru,

I have used a Garrett Land n Sea with a hearing impaired person. He found it better to have the headphones around his neck line as opposed to have them directly on his ears. The hearing aids picked up the sound and amplified this as designed to do. :) Hearing aids themselves are receivers and not transmitters so should not effect the detector.
His hearing is Moderate to severe mostly mid range loss. "f" ,"sh" etc

Great to see the helpfull responses from all and will be watching this post. Please keep us posted with results, manufactures etc

Cheers GG

setting my father in law with a makro gold racer so we'll see how the hearing performs....he is genetically and industrial hearing impaired so suffers at nearly all frequencies...
interestingly another friend who has used a 4500 for over a decade and has always used hearing aids with headphones only had drama with one particular model. first two generation hearing aids were fine, the set he got 18mnths ago gave very severe reverb in the head phones set....so he switched to an older set no worries for detecting at that time - the latest generation, his 4th pair over 12 odd years, have again been fine! tks for everyone's input on this topic....sounds like a fair few of us are hearing impaired!!!

Latest posts