June weekend fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

The offsider and I went out to the Cloncurry area to hunt for amethyst and garnets over the last weekend. We left Townsville midnight Thursday and got home Tuesday afternoon.

When we got to Cloncurry we stopped in at the tourism information/Mary Kathleen museum (very friendly people :Y: ) and got the low down on how to get to Kuridala Amethyst site. The drive down south only took an hour with good roads all the way. Was very happy with the condition of the 32kms of gravel road past Malbon to the old Kuridala mine/township. Found the sign saying amethyst which will take you to the gate. Just remember that after you go through the little creek to take the left fork in the road or else you will end up at the old airstrip. :8

The track past the gate is about 4kms and although it was rough you probably just need a high clearance vehicle to get to the fossicking area. There are several gullies and sides of hills that have holes already dug so just pick one and you should soon find some. We had phone/internet service on top of the large hill at the end of the track.

We only spent a day and a half here as we moved over to Maronan Station Sunday morning to chase garnets. We could of spent a whole day looking at and taking photos at the old mine/township, maybe next time. We ended up with about 3kgs of amethyst for about 6 hours fossicking. There were some nice clusters that Carol found in a vein running thru a clay layer down about a metre.

So we headed back to Cloncurry and then southeast towards McKinlay. Turn right just before the Fullarton River and follow the signs 20kms south to the garnet fossicking area. A nice station road which can be driven by a conventional vehicle with care. Just remember not to drive on his tracks if they have had rain. The owners are quite nice and easy to get along with if you do the right thing. :Y:

We had been here this time last year so we knew where to go. Over the hill to the eastern side provided the best area to dig. We only needed the 1/4 " seive, scoop and pick as the ground was easy to dig and you only have to get down about 250mm. This side of the hill also provides phone/internet service. This came in handy as our daughter has just moved to Perth over the weekend.

For our 6 hours effort we obtained about 650 gms of garnets and that was being fussy about what we kept.

All in all we had a very good weekend. It blew a gale most of the time which made it feel colder than the 6 degrees C that it got down to. When the wind wasn't blowing we were inundated with flies, it's one or the other but both died down after dark.

1497422729_juneweekendfinds.jpg

Our finds for the weekend
1497422751_amethystclusters.jpg

Amethyst clusters and crystals
1497422798_fullartonrivercountry.jpg

Looking west from the hilltop at Maronan Station
1497422819_fossickingmates.jpg

Carol and Jack
1497422840_garnetfossicking.jpg

Not hard or deep
1497422867_walkaboutcreekhotel.jpg

Didn't stop to have a drink with Mick as it was before opening. Walkabout Creek Hotel. :(

A long weekend out bush certainly beats sitting at home in suburbia. :) :) :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Hey RH mate, you and your missus certainly get about :Y: Love your write-ups and pics. You're the sort of people we love catching up with as per our meet at Forsayth.
Good on you and God Bless.

Thanks for posting Rockhunter, luv the photo's just makes me want to get out there.

Cheers
Mate :Y:

You and the Mrs certainly get about mate :Y: Always a pleasure, but why come down to the GT, when all the big action seems to be up your way or in WA? That's where my next trip is planned.
Would love to put you up whenever in Melb.

Hi Gilly,

You will be able to get the 5th wheeler to the garnet area at Maronan Station. As for Kuridala you will have no problems getting to the old mine/township but you would have to camp there and then do the 4 to 5 kms by your 4x4 to the amethyst fossicking area. No problems with the camper trailer but a longer van/5th wheeler would be a concern. Some corners with trees and small gutter/creeks to contend with.

I hope this helps. As for how much for the blue dog, getting a bit old in the teeth to train a new owner. He is 11 now. If he doesn't like sitting around watching us dig holes or detect he will go back to camp/car and hopefully find it. One weekend out he walked straight past the car and kept going, found him under a tree half an hour later looking quite thirsty. :( He might upset us at times but he makes our weekends more enjoyable.

Cheers

Doug

RH62
Great write up, pics and finds. What a great weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
And, be sure to look us up if in Vic. Would be great to get out and explore the bush, gold or gems with you and Carol. Cheers

Some nice finds there. Always wanted to go for the amethyst down that way. Haven't got there yet. Did you score some garnet cutters?

Hi Sneaky,

We haven't cleaned the garnets yet. We are going to put them in the tumbler with some pure soap for a day and have a look at them then. I'm sure that there will be some cutters amongst them but won't be able to tell just yet. I'm sure that a great percentage will either be cracked or have black spots or minute bubbles in them.

We got some cutters last time we were there.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts