SAPPHIRE UPDATE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday fellow diggers and diggerettes,just an update on 160 sapphires sent to lamberts for cutting/cabbing earlier on in the year.Well as ive said in the past and is now confirmed I was clueless when starting my sapphire prospecting career.Earlier this year,late march if I recall right I sent what I thought was the motherload of stones off to Thailand to be cut and polished.Recently ive been a little worried thinking that I had no idea the weight involved so the cost might send me into centerlink. I can now announce that the only thing I was right about was I didn't have a clue.After nearly five months,yes FIVE months I have been informed that my stones are ready which ive paid for and are now in the mail.Truth be known I sent eight packages of twenty stones each so you can see why I was a little worried in the end relating to the incoming costs.Well the fear has now been dispelled as it seems,wait for it..thirty four stones were found to be worthy of cutting/cabbing.From what I can see on the receipt there was only 5 stones actually worthy of cutting and twenty nine were cabbed.So im a little bit disappointed but also a little relieved I must say.Its been a long 5 months that's for sure waiting for the news whether good or bad.Seems largest cut was 1.75 ct and cabbed was around 5ct.Here I was thinking im getting the crown jewels back when in fact I may be getting a bag of shiney rocks.I guess it will be a fortnight before I know for sure.Another thing I now know is that a good cutter is just that and theres not really anyway you can mistake it.I can now look at a stone,thanks to this and other sites along with the help of fellow diggers and know whether its s dud or something worthwhile.I will be sending my next batch of cutters as soon as I get to the post office which will consist of at least and only 15 stones this time round with average weight being 4ct.I have had a few stones cut locally by names such as Makkybrown and Triabananna which I am very happy with.Great guys and very helpful that's for sure.I haven't been digging real hard lately as the water in these Tasmanian creeks at the moment can bring tears to the eyes of the dead.The good thing is I have found some really worthy spots for future digging when the icebergs thaw out a bit.So ill be back in a week or so with final results to share with everyone.Best wishes and im hoping to read of a large find by one of you guys/gals in the near future.Cheers

sorry guys ive been a bit quiet on the digging scene lately but the sun has come out.Let me just start by saying that I cant get a camera small enough to take pics of the pathetic return I got from lamberts.Sure I got a few cut and a few cabbed but I would make a laughing stock of myself by attempting to put pics up.I have a good bag getting cut that should be back in the next couple of weeks so ill make best attempt to get some pics up.I must admit that digginhard for sapphires aint as easy as its cracked up to be that's for sure.But I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it.But in saying that my gear has all been sorted and tomorrow im hitting the creek.chhers and ill see you all when you get here.

her ya go
1513465029_a1.jpg
1513465054_a2.jpg
1513465090_a4.jpg
1513465129_a5.jpg
1513465162_a7.jpg
1513465186_a3.jpg
1513465251_a9.jpg
1513465279_a6.jpg
1513465304_hhh.jpg
1513465337_a8.jpg

Some awesom looking stonesSome awesom looking stones in there. :Y: :Y: :Y: in there. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Some nice stones there mate.

What's your plan with them? Get made into jewellery?

Would be great to find the gem and gold and turn into something awesome.

Thanks everybody for your kind remarks.Firstly,not one of these stones came from the Weld or the main creek systems.Secondly they are selling like hotcakes to local jewellers.Thirdly I aint making enough to keep a cat eating well and last but not least, its bloody hard work finding these little buggars.I have though now found a creek pumping out the blues at a 3ct size so heres wishing.All stones have an inclusion or some other little irregularities.The people at lamberts did a good job considering they failed on a few points not meeting up but im pretty happy with them all the same.

That sounds like a good creek that you're on to. :Y:

If anyone has looked for gems, they know (most of the time) it's HARD work getting them.

Good luck for finding some more! Keep us updated. :D - Jack

Latest posts