Headlamp information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a h14r led lenser that's a few years old now. Can not fault it.
Also have a smaller red strapped 3xAAA led lenser model which the gf uses.

My old work paid for both of these.
I can drive down a pitch black road with my headlights off and hold the h14r on zoom out the window and happily drive at 80km/h

My fav headlamp is a single AA energizer led which is mega light and comfortable, perfect for fishing.

I have used my h14r with my sd2200d on the beaches around here, if used on full brightness you will get emi, but on half dim (used 90% of the time) there is no noticeable interference.

Have a mate with a ebay job, very bright- no probs so far.
Reeko

I have had a Black Diamond head for 3 years now and found it to be very comfortable to wear. It is very bright and had 2 beam settings. Mine is not rechargeable but I see you can get them now.

Wooly

Ive got a Petzl ... About $40 from memory( which is shite , so could be wrong)
Works great , no complaints...
except ... It has 2 settings , one brighter than the other. I would prefer just one
When trying to be covert ... Turning the light off requires it to first be turned brighter before turning off ( if that makes sense)
A simple on/off , not too bright , not too dim would be ideal as you really only need to see about 3'-6' in front of you ( depending wether kneeling or standing

Sandta said:
you really only need to see about 3'-6' in front of you

To get Mrs Redfin out in the dark will need a bit more illumination than that, more like 30 - 60' 8)

I cheated; a cap from bunnings with led lights - was on special for $10 with spare batteries...

On and Off when I need it..

Hey mate ive been throught a few over the years. First surprise to me was the led brand was by far the worst yet. Theres a balance between how bright do you really need it and how long you want it to last. You cant have both. For me the best unitbi bought was an arrlec that take 3 aaa's i get a few hours out of a set and have a 4 pod charger and change two batteries at a time. Ive stepped on it dropped it and its constantly thrown in the bucket with samples and never let me down. Think i only paid around $65 for it. Steer clear of aa's they dont last for shiz

Good luck on the hunt
1422354212_tmp_2850-20150127_211704-973550670.jpg

Mrs Silver hates cane toads and would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the QLD dark.
When she was little and was walking with her family one evening she got something wet on her foot,....to her absolute horror, on the way to school the next day in the exact spot of the wetness, was a squashed and rotting canetoad,.. that was it for her, never again able to step foot out side in the dark in this lifetime(without a good torch and a lot of moral support from her fellow humans), without me or one of the children to shoo the cane toads away while she watches with her eyes held tightly closed, and holding someone's hand. No amount of anything from me has fixed it up for her, don't say anything to her, but I've been thinking about how in the old days they would throw you in the water to teach you how to swim, well,...you can guess the rest, even though Mrs Silver would never forgive me, I wonder wether it would go any way towards fixing her deep seated phobia of the good old QLD cane toad.
PS I use a STREEM Focus Headlight, works well,... I lament its loss when the boys misplace it and say they don't know where it is(ha),..always just when I'm ready to head out at night .

I use a Soultion X head torch from BCF. Was about $20 on special. Its orange and black. Pretty sure they still sell em. Cree LED so bright as hell. Bright enough to plink bunnys from 30m. Three brightness settings and one flash/strobe effect. For most camp work the lowest setting is still pretty bright. Takes 3AAA batterys which I would recommend over a rechargeable. Never seems to go flat. When it isn't as super bright as normal I just pop in a set of black n gold batteries and it goes on and on for ages.
Cheap, reliable and effective. Cant go wrong.

silver said:
Mrs Silver hates cane toads and would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the QLD dark.
When she was little and was walking with her family one evening she got something wet on her foot,....to her absolute horror, on the way to school the next day in the exact spot of the wetness, was a squashed and rotting canetoad,.. that was it for her, never again able to step foot out side in the dark in this lifetime(without a good torch and a lot of moral support from her fellow humans), without me or one of the children to shoo the cane toads away while she watches with her eyes held tightly closed, and holding someone's hand. No amount of anything from me has fixed it up for her, don't say anything to her, but I've been thinking about how in the old days they would throw you in the water to teach you how to swim, well,...you can guess the rest, even though Mrs Silver would never forgive me, I wonder wether it would go any way towards fixing her deep seated phobia of the good old QLD cane toad.
PS I use a STREEM Focus Headlight, works well,... I lament its loss when the boys misplace it and say they don't know where it is(ha),..always just when I'm ready to head out at night .

You a funny bugga silver!!!! :D
Classic!!
Apologies to Mrs Silver, laughing with not at her!!! :D

Cheers,
Billy.

Young Matty bought a headlight last time we went prospecting. Got it from bcf. It's a bewdy. Heaps brighter than mine and the batteries he got with it are still good. I had to change mine 3 times. Both lights using energizer batteries. Anyway thought I'd go grab 1 for the next trip. But then I see Wanderer brand head lights 400 or 600 Lumins and rechargeable with a usb. No idea what they're like. Has anybody had any experience with the Wanderer head lights? Any good? Take long to recharge? How long do ya get before they need recharging? Cheers Chewy.

I have no experience with those headlamps.
I am shopping for a decent headlamp so will be interested what people say about the Wanderer brand.

Currently using a Black diamond 150 lumin but its beam is too narrow too much of a hotspot.
Wanderer look like they might be mostly floody beam pattern.

Im saving for this personally.... https://www.brightnite.com.au/armytek-wizard-pro-v3-xhp50-2300lm-head-lamp-885.html

Mate i got a led 3 bulb one that has high and low beam , its not rechargeable but i get approx 15 hours ftom the aaa batteries :Y: ,
i have hung it in trees when camping or sluicing at night :Y: ,
i wear it detecting and it gives a real good white light , the biggest problem is if someone else is with you every time you turn to talk to them it burns their eyeballs out 8) :D
Its a energiser brand , 3 bulb LED , two spread beams and one spot beam you can have all 3 on or the two spreads or one spot on ,
,its light , flat and works great and from memory was about $40 from bunnings i will put some pictures up .
Highly recommend by me i give it :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: out of 5.

I purchased the Ledlenser H14R which you can use with standard 4 AA's as well. Great light, however the electronics or whatever inside the headlamp or the battery pack interferes with my 5000. Used the H7 prior with no trouble at all. I guess with bigger batteries, the brighter and further the light shines, but the more it may affect your detector.

Yeah I've camped with others who have had trouble with led lenser lights interfering with detectors. Only seems to be some. Think I'm just gonna go with the energizer 1. Up to 50 hrs run time. Handy. Pretty bright to.

I use the Wolf Eyes headlight, it uses a 3.6v rechargeable

https://wolfeyes.com.au/rechargeable-LED-headlamps/dingo-led-rechargeable-headlamps/

150 minutes of runtime on High, 295 minutes on Medium, 17 hours on Medium Low and 136 hours on Low. Being a lithium ion rechargeable battery it also works in sub zero conditions.

I used mine on a recent 5+ week trip most nights on medium low and the battery still hasn't needed recharging.

The other plus is that my Torch is a Wolf Eyes Defender III and uses the same battery (interchangeable).

Although the charger is a 240V charger, it has no problem running off my 150W inverter. I have 4 batteries I charge before I leave home and have yet to need to charge any when away.

Given the power blackouts in S.A. I have peace of mind that a week or more of outage won't be in the dark :)

The other plus is that all Wolf Eyes gear use regulated power so they stay bright until the battery is near flat.