Kangaroo Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My hubby and I are heading to Kangaroo Valley today looking for gemstones.....and rocks.....any tips on where to find jasper, agate etc.

Much appreciated
Cheers
Julie

HI Koraju

There are a number of threads on Kangaroo Valley if you use the search function.

In years gone by I have found plenty of jasper and petrified wood there, but never had much luck with agate.

The weather has not been great down this way the last few days and it is pouring at the moment. The easiest access is right next to Hampden bridge. There is a sandy and gravel bar right next to where you walk down, but this is generally better after a flood. You can walk up or down stream a little and still find bits. I have had more luck down stream, but crossing the river may be difficult with the rain we have had. Mostly petrified wood and jasper to be found, but there is also the occasional small piece of agate.

There are other spots well worth a look, but would depend on how much time you have.
Any creek crossing from Berry to Kangaroo Valley is worth a look but can be very hit and miss, also be careful of private property.

Latest posts