alluvial tin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
itsdw said:
No worries. Any tips for the mt gibson area? Happy to Pm if u dont wanna make it public

Mount Gibson has apparently changed significantly since I was last there a year or more ago. It is a designated fossicking area overseen by the DMNR - a government department - but it seems it is actually private property and a deal was struck between the DMNR and the owners to allow fossickers.

Apparently, the scourge that has destroyed so many fossicking areas and the goodwill of property owners has also struck at Mount Gibson - some clown didn't look where they were putting their feet, tripped over and injured themselves.....and decided it was all the property owners fault and proceeded to sue them. The Tolga lapidary club told me when I spoke to them at Christmas that you now must call into the caravan park with all the correct paperwork and register with them (the van park owners and property the owners are the same people) and check in again with them when you leave. I'm not sure what other conditions have been put in place but things are stricter now I believe.

This same idiotic phenomenon has apparently closed down Chudleigh Park, Proston and other former excellent fossicking sites :(

If I misstep while fossicking, fall down and hurt my ankle, there's only one person at fault.....me! To be blaming someone else for my own clumsiness and then taking action against them based on that is utterly ridiculous. Australians attitude in this area is costing fossicking dearly.

Ok, now my rant is over :) , as stated above it seems you can still go to Mount Gibson but I'd contact the Mareeba DMNR office and ask them about it first. It's about 6km from the gate at Innot Hot Springs to the "Glittering Star" diggings. It is a VERY rough 6km, definitely a 4WD track. The track leads through Gibson gully att he end and up to the top of the mountain. Just before you go over the crest, there's a cutting you can pull over in. Less than 100m along the track leading from that you'll come across a heap of shallow diggings in the hillside, this is Glittering Star. Dig in the holes there, it's a very bouldery, rocky wash with ashy, powdery soil through it. If you start finding smoky quartz crystals then you're in the right spot, the two go together, along with the tin.

The DMNR should look at what is in place in NSW... Under the Fossicking act, The Land owner is exempt from any Legal Responsibilities...If the Land-owner has granted permission of Course... This is a good idea... But has Never been tested in a Court yet...
Most owners don't want the Hassles of Fossickers on their Block... Shame that the actions of a few spoil it for the rest... Years ago you used to be able to get a 24hr Accident and Sickness Insurance Policy, and this covered you, on their Property.... I was Never Denied access when I had mine... Now you can't get any thing like it, from any Insurance Company.. Times are Changing im afraid... :rolleyes:

LW...

Under the Fossicking act, The Land owner is exempt from any Legal Responsibilities...If the Land-owner has granted permission of Course... This is a good idea... But has Never been tested in a Court yet...
Most owners don't want the Hassles of Fossickers on their Block

Or to be a test case for the legislation? :/

I've heard of it before, sounds great. Only thing was that last I heard, property owners were still not allowing fossickers in NSW access because of that very reason - it hasn't been tested before the court yet and no one wants to be that test case.

Spot on Lefty.. I would like to be the Test Case, but don't want to pay the Legal Bill if I Loose :/

.... Back on Subject, Here is a pic of some Tin Nuggets and a Cassiterite Crystal.. LW...
1496557412_img_2515.jpg

1496557457_img_2516.jpg

Not the best Quality Pics but they give you an idea what to look for.. :Y:

Nice crystal there LW. Mobile and digital camera both dead so can't photograph the tin crystal cab - in the meantime, here are some pictures of Mount Gibson for itsdw...

The track up the mountain after you cross Gibson gully - very steep with deep washouts beside it, caution is warranted.

16220736845_68c2e60efd_c.jpg

The digging site. Holes actually aren't that difficult to dig but you're pulling out a lot of boulders by hand.

16034957207_a51fefaca1_c.jpg

Father-in-law doing ok for 65 :)

16034988107_3cbfff73d0_c.jpg

Topaz crystals embedded in host rock.

16035146277_609daf76ae_c.jpg

Some topaz (top photo) and facetable smoky quartz crystals (lower photo)

16033639310_d5f5a78d61_c.jpg

16220036372_b4a57c4fed_c.jpg

I'll see if I can find the photo of the tin crystal, it wasn't from the trip pictured here.

Have been up there a couple of times myself.
Wasnt aware of the changes due to people with no CS, its a shame to hear that. Its one of the few good mineral and gem areas close to cairns.

Picked up a few nice small crystals in there, topaz, quartz, tin and even seen blokes pull small tourmaline crystals from the creek at the bottom of the hill.
There are historical reports of there being a big tourmaline bar in there somewhere. Big enough that dynamite was used on part of it! ?

Have fun itsdw! Hope you can get in and find some nice gems.

TGW.

Hey Lefty, What is the 'Fluffy' thing above your Finger in Pic 4 ?...Looks like it's coming out to get ya.... ]:D

Nice Topaz :Y: ... I will get up there one day... After Cloncurry, Harts Range, Lowmead, WA.... Too many choices :rolleyes:

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Hey Lefty, What is the 'Fluffy' thing above your Finger in Pic 4 ?...Looks like it's coming out to get ya.... ]:D

Nice Topaz :Y: ... I will get up there one day... After Cloncurry, Harts Range, Lowmead, WA.... Too many choices :rolleyes:

LW...

First I thought it was asbestos :eek: but no, it's a grass seed.

If you keep going straight ahead after crossing the gully instead of going up the mountain on the front side, you'll come to a track that goes up the mountain on the back side. This takes you to the other diggings called "Patricia". There's quite a bit of a very pale gold coloured topaz there.

The place looks like it's full of small Quartz Crystals.... Is there any Larger ones or are they small and just everywhere? :)

LW...

LoneWolf said:
The place looks like it's full of small Quartz Crystals.... Is there any Larger ones or are they small and just everywhere? :)

LW...

The DMNR fossicking area map notes of Mount Gibson "the area is heavily mineralized". I can attest to that! As you start to climb the mountain, the ground in certain spots just glitters in the sun with thousands of tiny topaz and quartz crystals. I found a few smoky quartz crystals about the size of carrots but they were murky (still good specimens though). I also found a vug in the solid granite at the Patricia diggings filled with smoky crystals about 8 or 10 inches long visible up the very back but while I managed to scrape out a bunch of small ones with a long-handled screwdriver, the big ones were firmly attached to the rock and after busting the points off a couple trying, I had to be satisfied with getting the small ones - would have needed a jackhammer to bust open that solid wall!

DMNR fossicking info for Mount Gibson The info contains a pdf link to a map of the fossicking area. Still nothing new about changed access conditions.

Nice...Thanks Lefty... Hate when you Just can't reach them and have to leave them. Might have to go up and get some of the Tiny ones ... I have a use for Small Crystals like that... :Y: .... Have you Heard of the Plan for Etheridge Shire to/try to become UNESCO Listed? :N:

LW...

Can't say I've heard about that one LW - what does that entail exactly?

I put a post up about it in General Discussions about it a few days ago... Not too sure What affect it will have on Fossickers and Prospectors, but the Graziers are pretty Concerned...... I don't know much about the area or this plan... but something is happening.... 8)

LW...

Latest posts