Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
I hear that the 27meg Cb spectrum is very clear these days owing to every one switching to UHF.
Back in my Teen years, I used to work skip like crazy.
All over OZ, NZ and USA a few times.
I inherited my Fathers Super Bengal 40 Channel and a President Washington. Both base stations and
I even found a 40 channel Bengal mobile unit. LOL
If I ever went on a long trip, I would have the 27 meg CB as one of my radios.

I live in the NT and must be about the only guy left using 27Mhz CB! I'm a ham operator so have three radio's in my vehicle (Dual Band Ham radio, UHF and my 27Mhz CB) not to mention a few base station radios in the shack at home. Each radio on my vehicle has a very specific purpose but like you my 27Mhz will be my goto radio when out in remote area's should anything happen. 27Mhz is making a comeback particularly in the USA and other parts of Australia for the very reasons you mention (you can work the skip and get long range communications). I get a lot of chatter from Indonesia as well as other States around Australia on 27Mhz and have been able to communicate a to few guys in NSW, QLD as well as in Indonesia. So get out your old CB's and get connected :)

Anyway just thought I'd add my 2 cents and also say g'day as I have just joined this forum after being hit with the gold rush fever (bug). I'm a complete novice so please be patient with me if I ask silly questions that I can't find answers to :)

Ausmosis

7.62marksman said:
Welcome mate
I might have to dig out the old radio
No such thing as a silly question so ask away

Cheers!... And yes dig your old radio up and see if it still works. Good thing about 27Mhz is that the majority of users who use(d) foul language moved to UHF/VHF which was a major problem back in the days when 27Mhz CB's were all the rage. :)

also a ham and up in the NT .. and have 27mhz and Uhf cb in my truck... am out there by myself a lot and its ok now and then to pick up the mic and
have a rag chew ..

Recently, courtesy of a gift from 7.62 Marksman in the form of 'Crystal' 80 channel unit, I contacted him from just south of Berry NSW. he being at Nowra. We figure it would have been about 16 K's!. I was wondering what members in the know would think of this capability, and whether or not that distance may increase in the dead of night when I have had incredible reception on my regular FM Radio.Can someone explain why that phenomenon is?.. Could it have been as a result of my heightened elevation at the time or?...is Superman real? ]:D ....Is there a Santa Claus? ]:D ]:D ...so many questions :p :lol: cheers Rossco.

Hey Reefer, from memory you could be referring to Skip Distance.
Where a radio wave is returned to earth after hitting the ionosphere.
Length of the skip depends on the frequency used, the angle of incidence and also the degree of ionization present.
Relied on by many radio operators, HAM's in particular.
I remember having to shoot a signal via Antartica to reach Europe as it was the shortest route.
Not sure if I have helped or hindered, sorry.
Mackka

If it's UHF (sorry I should really go back and read the whole thread) you may have experienced what is known as 'ducting', kind of like 'skip' but instead of bouncing from the earth and the atmosphere, think of the signal being pushed along by the wind. Weird analogy but it's the best I can do. With UHF elevation is your friend so if one or both of you are up high expect better distance. Or use a repeater ;)

HF is a different animal altogether and my absolute favourite, can talk around the world with that stuff!

Skip only applies to the old CB(27MHZ) and HF Radios... You got your distance because as shane-vor said in the previous post, it was 'Helped' along by Atmospheric Conditions...16km is not too bad for a Radio like that... You may get greater Distance at night but I think you are about the Max you will get... If you 'Played' around with your Ariel or radio, you can get greater distance, but most of these ideas are illegal... and the RI's(Radio Inspectors) will come looking for you. :eek: . They Found Me... :p

And Yes reefer, of course Santa is Real... He lives with the Tooth Fairy... ;)

LW...

Sorry Reefer, Santa has moved in with the Easter Bunny... and true to this Forum, With-out a photo, it never happened...
1504092112_santa-claus-the-easter-bunny.jpg

LW...

There is a repeater at Ulladulla I can ping with my UHF CB down here in Tathra.
Loud and clear. I spent a little bit of time having a yarn to some rather surprised
people up there.
It is nearly line of sight in a straight line.

To clear a furphy or urban myth on 27Meg/11m, it comes alive around summer as the heat increases, so from around Oct/Mar.
Start at Ch35 which is like a "chat room" freq and if conditions are right and there is a space in the chatter, throw out a call sign and handle of your own choosing and stick to it. Mine is 504 Snowy River station or mobile.
The numbers you pick mean nothing to anyone but yourself and coupled with a location it then becomes a specific identifier.
The idiots are still there, the illegal power units are still there. There is a fella in Taree call-sign 096 "Poopa Scoopa" who is a typical crocodile (all teeth, no ears) who sits on top of a mountain with at least 25W (yes, yes, I know) drowning out all of us "mud-ducks" pushing 12W VRMS SSB.
Funny thing, there is a lot of ex-hams on 27Meg whinging about 10m. They mainly complain that we are not as "experimental" as we used to be.

My 11m rig is a Uniden AX-144 centre fed through a full wave EDZ di-pole.

Frostoss said:
To clear a furphy or urban myth on 27Meg/11m, it comes alive around summer as the heat increases, so from around Oct/Mar.
Start at Ch35 which is like a "chat room" freq and if conditions are right and there is a space in the chatter, throw out a call sign and handle of your own choosing and stick to it. Mine is 504 Snowy River station or mobile.
The numbers you pick mean nothing to anyone but yourself and coupled with a location it then becomes a specific identifier.
The idiots are still there, the illegal power units are still there. There is a fella in Taree call-sign 096 "Poopa Scoopa" who is a typical crocodile (all teeth, no ears) who sits on top of a mountain with at least 25W (yes, yes, I know) drowning out all of us "mud-ducks" pushing 12W VRMS SSB.
Funny thing, there is a lot of ex-hams on 27Meg whinging about 10m. They mainly complain that we are not as "experimental" as we used to be.

My 11m rig is a Uniden AX-144 centre fed through a full wave EDZ di-pole.

Do i understand this correctly , this antenna of yours is a single di-pole of 11 meters (35 ~ feet) of wire or stacked multiples ?

center feed to coax or end connection ?

reefer said:
what are the things i can,should and should not do...in other words what protocols are in place for the use of that channel... It is what it is and so i would appreciate any wisdom ie, tips etc and opinions as to the efficiency of this unit...pro's n con's....cheers Rossco

I realise this is an old post, but the info may be of use to others. Hopefully I have enough posts up to add the link: vk3mhz.com
Check the radio comms menu category for listing on what the different UHF channels are for.

UHC CB is a class licence, meaning you no longer require to apply for a callsign, as was the case when UHF was first introduced.

Cranky Emu said:
reefer said:
what are the things i can,should and should not do...in other words what protocols are in place for the use of that channel... It is what it is and so i would appreciate any wisdom ie, tips etc and opinions as to the efficiency of this unit...pro's n con's....cheers Rossco

I realise this is an old post, but the info may be of use to others. Hopefully I have enough posts up to add the link: vk3mhz.com
Check the radio comms menu category for listing on what the different UHF channels are for.

UHC CB is a class licence, meaning you no longer require to apply for a callsign, as was the case when UHF was first introduced.

thanks for the link , i found the reference to ADS-B ... absolutely blew my socks off !!!

http://vk3mhz.com/rpi_adsb.html