Wanted hand held crevice pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not plans as such but there are any number of posts on the forum about diy builds for suckers.

Or you can buy a bait pump and adapt it to do the same thing...

Or im sure theres 1001 different pages on the internet as to how to go about it.

All depends on how much time and effort you want to put into this project and what end result your chasing?

Yep searched and found them all before but were not much help TBH. Limited info
Maybe some one on the forum who has made one for them selves before could send me a PM ?

I played with the idea for a while until I saw Digger Toms set up at Eldorado he was using to crevice for his concentrates a while back. After that I sourced the best aussie made bait pump I could find (Stainless steel Wilson brand) and fitted a white poly adapter and bingo.

With all the mistrials and fluffing about I should have stumped up for a decent bait pump with quality fittings in the first place was the conclusion I drew. All that time wasted on diy I could have been sucking gravels.

Best of luck whatever you decide mate.

Try looking up the youtube series by Dan Hurd, in one of his videos (cant remember which one unfortunately) he runs through a pvc crevice sucker build with his class. Was nearly going to make one myself until deciding to go down the modified bait pump path.

Cheers,
TGW.

G'day ALL
i am about to build one , pvc pressure piping and fittings from Bunnings, my plan was to keep it simple , easy to pull apart to clean or replace parts, so its a gunna suck it up and spit it out , no traps, one way valves or branch pieces, , the caps will be held in place by brass screws, no glue, so it can be dismantled , the pump plunger will be good old fashioned leather , easy to shape when wet and lubed with dripping , my thoughts on the operation is when you draw the handle/ plunger up, the compressed air needs to go somewhere so theres a little bit of play in the top assembly, vise versa , when you push the material out the inlet you need not to created a vacuum. the unit will basically suck up liitte rocks gemstones nuggets etc all held in a muddy suspension then discharged out the sucker end into a bucket , we'll thats the theory will post more on how it works in the field

Hey GoldenOldie, your above post is spot on. You will need a little play where you might have and end cap and your inner plunger/ handle coming out, this as you said allows for the air to escape.
I made a little play in mine, however if you get a little eager and water escapes past your plunger it will travel up the cyclinder and spray, with some pressure a refreshing blast of muddy water to the face. :lol:
If you were to drill a small size hole on the end cap at the top of the cyclinder you could control where the air goes. :Y:

Gday all,
all comments are taken on board , my initial design called for end caps with a female 50mm screw plug but this added weight and cost ,
the screw plug needs to be drilled to accept the sucker fittings and the internal ram rod, then the light came on !!!!! an end caps held in place with screws , not glued , the 25mm male threaded coupling is attached to the bottom end cap .25mm adapter is what the sucker tubes screwed onto or pvc tube pushed on, there is also an end cap that fits neatly into the 50mm pressure pipe body, the leather washer is thin and can be moulded around the cap , there is just enough space , this creates a perfect seal , no water can get past up into the top end i used 2 fittings in the top cap to add extra stability to the ram system all holes are drilled prior to assembly in a lathe or drill press for perfect alignment I looked at other designs with removable trap etc they seen to create a problem with using & removal and cleaning
what does one need to do a you tube video ?????

Occasional_panner said:
I haven't seen digger toms crevice tool, have you got a link? I just searched and nothing came up.
Sorry mate didn't see this before...

Just a white poly reducer (need to sand out the inner to fit the wilson) and a small diameter piece of poly tube. I had a couple of ends I made one cut on about 60 degree angle and one melted down to a tapered end.
When you draw back just lift up until the pump is almost horizontal, put end in bucket and expel contents. Too easy and worked a treat, give the arms a workout though. I'll get a pic up if it helps you, nothing fancy about it, no capture points, elbows breathers chambers etc just insert into crevice, draw back, lift up, dump in bucket. Less than 10 dollars and half an hour labor tops.

These look like they would work but have not had the chance to try one. They are designed to suck puss and other nasty things so a slurry should not be a problem.
1510565785_images-33.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.