Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to not being able to get away to the GT very often (poor 4500) I picked up a GoFind 60 this week so I can detect local parks and beaches whilst walking the dog. Took it out for a test run today and it was pretty good for a beginner like me. I just wanted something i could turn on and go.

I detected for about an hour on the sand and that was great but still mucking around trying to locate targets. Then I moved on to a park close by and that is when the fun really began. Mad coin-bottle top signals everywhere. Ground was a bit damp but managed to dig the first plug ok and recovered a bottle top(yay). After trying to locate a second target having dug the second plug I gave up.
I realised how much a pinpointer is needed.

So please recommend me one. Preferably water proof but not 100% necessary.
So far I have in mind

Minelab Pro Find
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Whites Bullseye TRX

Pics of my hunt this morning.
1495855850_20170527_125744.jpg

Hi Hard Luck,

Consider a Deteknix X-Pointer Wader Pro.

We have 2 of them.

Cost is around $190.00. Rechargeable lithium battery. Waterproof to 60 metres. Has an in-built white LED light which points downwards into the hole (great at night) and a red LED that flashes when the target is detected, faster flash means closer target. Also has my favourite feature a choice of beep only, vibrate and beep, or vibrate only (also great for stealthy night time park hunts). They are sold by Nenad of Phase Technical who is one of this forum's members.

Cheers,
Troutman

Ramjet said:

RJ. I like the way this pairs with the Deus detectors but I don't have any Deus detectors. Is this what you use?

Troutman said:
Hi Hard Luck,

Consider a Deteknix X-Pointer Wader Pro.

We have 2 of them.

Cost is around $190.00. Rechargeable lithium battery. Waterproof to 60 metres. Has an in-built white LED light which points downwards into the hole (great at night) and a red LED that flashes when the target is detected, faster flash means closer target. Also has my favourite feature a choice of beep only, vibrate and beep, or vibrate only (also great for stealthy night time park hunts). They are sold by Nenad of Phase Technical who is one of this forum's members.

Cheers,
Troutman

Been looking at a few reviews today and am leaning towards either a Makro Pointer, Nokta Pointer or this one you have mentioned. I'll get in touch with Nenad and can hopefully have a chat sometime soon.

I recently purchased a GP pointer from eBay (basically a copy of a brand name pointer ) . I can't fault it, it does exactly what I need it to do with out hassle. I use it on coins / relics . Delivery was exactly two weeks from China . $50 .

I think Garret one is the best one. The carrot.
Then MI-6...
I use Makro Pinpointer. Everything is perfect except speaker is on the end cap which is annoying because hand is blocking it and I cannot hear. I like this one because it comes with 2 caps which protect pin pointer from scratches.

Brains trust.

Looking for a pinpointer, nothing too over the top, want one to make life easier for coins n relics etc, don't want a $50 e-bay special but not sure I can justify the $250 ones early on, is there a middle ground?

What can you guys recommend please.

cheers in advance

I have three XPointers and they blow away anything in the same price range, never had one fail yet and my mates Garret that cost him $250 doesn't do anything better but it's waterproof.
Go the Deteknix for $150 and you wont regret it.
"Nenad" will look after you.

Daggy

I am a fan of Garrett,I have owned two :Y:

I have the AT Pro - orange in colour making finding it easy if you lose it and waterproof as well planning for any future wet weather hunting.

But saying that,the "best pinpointer" is the one you can afford.

Good luck :)

my pinpointers in order of preference i use are..

1.whites trx (simply awesome.. depth better than almost any of them)
2. garrett propointer at
3. 2 'standard'' garett propointers, strictly only gathering dust unless something happens to the whites :)

now let me state why i like the trx the best..a couple of reasons , but the main 2 are, 1. it only pinpoints at the tip, making it bang on accurate for the target im trying to get and 2, its great depth (caveat here, it can false at too high sens level),most of my targets are hit by the whites straight up obviously saving a little time etc..

i like my carrott, but, i dont know,after getting used to the tip pointing on the whites, i dislike pointers that are side sensitive as well..i cant count the number of times on a hunt, ive dug out the target (not realising) and it touches the garrett on the side while im probing in the hole(and me getting mad and widening the plug)..bloody cheeses me off :mad: ... THIS NEVER happens with the trx :Y:

Latest posts