1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1472614045_rims.jpg

Hey they look 1980's toyota landcruiser rims
if you don't know how to change tyres on split rims have a look at SUNRAYSIA RIMS nicely priced quality steel rims. you can always pick up 2nd hand ones from somewhere if you don't want new ones.

i just sold exactly the same camper last year nucopia, to fit wider rims you will find the axle is too short by around 4 inches for the wider toyota rims backspacing, the toyota hilux chrome rims i tried had tyres hitting inside of trailer wall and springs

yes deadly in the wrong hands....but ridiculously easy to change on the side of the road :)
limpalot said:
Make sure you know how to change a split rim, they can be deadly.

Well its been a while since I had any time to devote to finishing the camper refit. Its been sitting on the front lawn since August 2016 when we went over seas for 4 months and i havent touched it since we returned in March.
Before we left I bought a few things I though I would need to give is power to run lights a fridge charge phones and ipad as well as run a small water pump out bush and also give me a dual batter set up in the Prado for when we were away from camp power.
I bought a 300AH deep cycle battery through a good friend whose is a motor rebuilder and who could get it at trade price = $300
This is what I will put under the bonnet or in the front tool box on the draw bar, and inside the trailer.
I still have to get the tool box. :rolleyes:

This is what i bought.
Duel battery kit ( still need a second under bonnet battery)..
1495322318_image.jpg

30amp 12/24 volt charger controler with anderson plugs
1495322484_image.jpg

12/24volt 1,000-2,000 watt inverter.
1495322659_image.jpg

12 volt self priming water pump for the water tank.
1495322865_image.jpg

Im looking at a bunnings tool box for the draw bar of the trailer to house the 300AH Battery, the converter/controller etc.
Will probably need to make it water proof as well...
1495323316_image.jpg

Strip lighting for inside the tailer & tent .
1495323687_image.jpg

The next door neighbour is helping me build a slid out kitchen with room for a 2 burner stove a sink w/ faucet some storage area for food supplies and some where for the fridge.. His pretty hand with his tools with a fully tricked out work shop and he has made a mini tear drop caravan to tow behind a three wheeler trike for his brother in law. He also makes kyaks by doing all his own wood laminating and assembly even makes mandolins and guitars for people :)
He recons we can buid the kitchen for about $250 in materials :eek:
Next thing I need to look for is a solar panel that will keep the 300Ah battery charged when we are camped out.
Im thinking a 250watt folding panel would be best suited but I am also wondering if I can get away with using a cheaper priced 160watt folding panel... Any suggestionson on panels would be appraciated... :Y:

We are back home now for a few weeks and I have time to work on the trailer.
Installing the water pump and some of the wiring today. The guy next door is away so the kitchen is on hold..

Next I need to look at ordering either a 250watt folding panel or the cheaper priced 160watt folding panel...
I know the 52 litre cold station fridge/freezer I have is rated to draw 1.5amps per hour as an AVG over a 24 hour period from the battery. i.e 36 amps per 24 hours as well as running some lead lights at night.

Any suggestions on on panels sizes considering I have a 300 AH deep cycle battery ?
Thanks guys !

You should be able to get away with the 160 set up but I'd purchase a good MPPT regulator (Genuine MPPT) as the one's that usually come supplied with panels are not much chop even if they are MPPT as marked but most are not . A good reg will ensure you get the most out of your panels

It shouldn't draw 1.5 amps per hour over a 24 hr period? That dosnt sound right, unless its set at -20 and you are in a hot climate.
I have a 60lt primus, and it draws an average of .75 amp hr over a 24 hr period, set at 2 deg.
I use a 160w solar panel, a 100 amphr ATM, run fridge,lights,recharge gpx battery, never ever felt under gunned.

davent said:
It shouldn't draw 1.5 amps per hour over a 24 hr period? That dosnt sound right, unless its set at -20 and you are in a hot climate.
I have a 60lt primus, and it draws an average of .75 amp hr over a 24 hr period, set at 2 deg.
I use a 160w solar panel, a 100 amphr ATM, run fridge,lights,recharge gpx battery, never ever felt under gunned.
No idea davent
That was taken off the anaconda web site i.e 1.5 amps is the average draw per hour over 24hrs.
Misplaced the manual so I cant check the energy rating in the manual.
I have only ran it using 240v mains here at home and it gets down to 2c in a very short time and stays there.
Might have to hook it up to a battery and measure the average draw over 24 hours.

no matter, a 300 amph battery, will handle all you throw at it i reckon.
Looking fwd to seeing the trailer finnished, reckon you got a good thing with that!

Latest posts