Treasure Hunting in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My partner and I have had a metal detector for awhile, we usually just hunt around the flats in Gundagai, but my aunt and uncle have recently purchased their own detectors and looking for more places to have a look around.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously not asking for your secret spots but just general places in NSW, specifically in the Riverina, Snowys, Canberra region? Grateful for any help we could get

When you say the flats at Gundagai,do you mean the river flats where the old rail and road bridges are? I would love to see some of your finds from there as that is a place I had earmarked for a hunt.Regarding places to hunt all I could suggest is research things like old campgrounds,parks,places where fairs or festivals were held etc.You will get a lot of satisfaction from researching a place to hunt and then finding an awesome relic or coin there.

Eldorado said:
When you say the flats at Gundagai,do you mean the river flats where the old rail and road bridges are? I would love to see some of your finds from there as that is a place I had earmarked for a hunt.Regarding places to hunt all I could suggest is research things like old campgrounds,parks,places where fairs or festivals were held etc.You will get a lot of satisfaction from researching a place to hunt and then finding an awesome relic or coin there.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely have a look into it.

And yeah, the river flats near the bridges. Will have to look through the phone to find some photos, but we've found a few old coins, an old axe head, a big carpenter lock and lots of horse shoes and washers from the bridge. Definitely worth a go though if you're in the area.