Cold weather camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky man, I can't afford one though. DanielKrupski, have you considered an extreme weather sleeping bag. I have a -38 carinthia sleeping bag. Keeps me warm even in a hammock without any insolation to speak of.

Layers are versatile and cheap.
A summer bag, +12 inside a winter bag 0, inside a swag, will keep warm as. Put one of those yoga mat things under ya swag, warm as toast. In summer, just use the summer bag.
A + 12 bag costs about $30 from k mart and a zero rated bag about $45. Swags as little as $100 from kings, wimp mat $10. Put that on a concertina stretcher from supercheap auto, and your almost glamping!

Yep, I've got a Paddymade superdown bag I bought back in the mid 70's and it is still warm as hell. I use it as a quilt rather than a bag. It has never been wet or washed for that matter.

I've got a sorta cheapie down bag that I take out in winter and use in my swag. Having said that, when i know it will get to about 1C I sleep with lots of layers of clothing on.
So much so that by the time I zip up the bag I am mummified. Can't seem to turn on my side either way. When I roll the whole swag rolls with me.
So if you are ever out and hear cries of help from a swag it will probably be me after the zipper has gotten stuck. :D

In the end it's all about keeping warm.

Mrs Chewy bought me a warmer sleeping bag for in the tent but like Hard luck I have trouble rolling over in it. Not much room once ya in and I'm pretty skinny. Layers of clothes and a queen size Doona doubled over. A Beenie if it's real cold to. And it was reallllly cold 1 time and I peed in an empty iced coffee bottle rather than go outside. (It was a storm) but I know no shame and I'd do it again I tells ya! :8 :lol: :Y:

If you have a good quality sleeping bag rated to the climate you camp, the more clothes you wear in it, the colder you will be.

Why?, you ask. Well your body heat is what gets you warm and keeps you warm in a bag. The more clothes you wear, the more you insulate your body heat from the bag.....

I got a -10 degree sleeping bag but for the love of gold I can't sleep in it with it all zippered up. I know it's suppose to be so it's using your own body heat but no. Just can't get comfortable the only time I will sleep like that is in the pine box. Was just seeing how others keep warm. Anyways I bought the Kmart mat so next trip will report back.

Latest posts