Defective's Finds - 2017 (Rookie Season) - Minelab Ex-Terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday All,

My recently bought Minelab Ex-Terra 705 arrived a couple of days ago and I was finally able to get out today for a maiden hunt. After 3 hours I ended up with $6.25 in 'spendables' an Indonesian 100 Rupiah coin, heaps of chewed up pieces of can, ring pulls and foil seals off Powerade style sports drinks bottles.

I was detecting at some sports fields thinking there was probably a good chance for some gold/silver jewellery.

I noticed a few old plugs. Some one had been there before. All the old plugs still had large pieces of can in them (now in the bin). Do you think this was some one with a low end machine that was only picking up the stronger signals off the bigger bits of can? Or some one specifically targeting gold jewellery ? I noticed the larger bits of can indicated strongly in the same way as my gold wedding ring.

Also I know the courts are much older then the early 2000's but all of the coins were in this date range. Would this be a fair indicator some one else has been through there in that time ?

It was a great way to relax the mind for a couple of hours. I look forward to finding something worthy of a few photos.

D.

Defective said:
Gday All,

My recently bought Minelab Ex-Terra 705 arrived a couple of days ago and I was finally able to get out today for a maiden hunt. After 3 hours I ended up with $6.25 in 'spendables' an Indonesian 100 Rupiah coin, heaps of chewed up pieces of can, ring pulls and foil seals off Powerade style sports drinks bottles.

I was detecting at some sports fields thinking there was probably a good chance for some gold/silver jewellery.

I noticed a few old plugs. Some one had been there before. All the old plugs still had large pieces of can in them (now in the bin). Do you think this was some one with a low end machine that was only picking up the stronger signals off the bigger bits of can? Or some one specifically targeting gold jewellery ? I noticed the larger bits of can indicated strongly in the same way as my gold wedding ring.

Also I know the courts are much older then the early 2000's but all of the coins were in this date range. Would this be a fair indicator some one else has been through there in that time ?

It was a great way to relax the mind for a couple of hours. I look forward to finding something worthy of a few photos.

D.

Yes more than likely someone else has been there. :Y:

I've got a thousand questions. But for now here is a picture of the coins I found. All the rest of the trash I left in the bins at the park.
1495085518_p1050083.jpg

Ramjet said:
Well done Defective. We LIKE pics too ;)

People who leave trash in their holes should be shot in my opinion. :mad:
x2 :mad: Drawn and Quartered would be more enjoyable to watch :lol: :lol:
You'll find they couldn't fit the rubish in their pocket :rolleyes:
Well done on the hunt :cool: :Y:

Doing well mate, many have done a lot worse for their first session or two. As for aluminium cans, sort of defies description watching someone shove a can back in the hole, and then try and push the plug back into place again - would have been quicker to just throw it in the bin. Don't count on them having a cheapo detector, there are just as many people running around with $1000+ detectors doing the same thing unfortunately, and not necessarily competant operators either.

I wouldn't worry too much about people previously detecting such areas, they never get it all and never cover every inch of ground. I should know as those are the areas I prefer to target, think of it as a challenge to test your skills and detector setup to come up with a good result. :)

Cheers for the encouragement, hopefully I can get some time middle of next week to get back out there.

Goldpick said:
Don't count on them having a cheapo detector, there are just as many people running around with $1000+ detectors doing the same thing unfortunately, and not necessarily competant operators either.

I wouldn't worry too much about people previously detecting such areas, they never get it all and never cover every inch of ground. I should know as those are the areas I prefer to target, think of it as a challenge to test your skills and detector setup to come up with a good result. :)

Yeah true, the only plugs I found all had almost half a mangled can in them, so I'm thinking its some one who isn't really having a good go.

Finally got back out today and had my new GP pointer to help me out. It makes a huge difference to recovery time. I'm really happy with it. I also worked out if I kept digging every hit I would go mad. I limited myself to the more stable ID's and it quickly improved my ratio of coins to junk during the second half of my explore. Here is all the spendables and a BB I found today. All the junk I dug is the park bin.

1495516659_5.jpg

And then this afternoon I was in my back paddock and had a strong detection which I dug out. Initially I thought it was a bit of lead, but its no where near soft enough and really heavy. I haven't got a strong magnet to test it against. Chance its a meteorite ??

1495516928_1.jpg

1495516956_2.jpg

1495517002_3.jpg

Latest posts