It didn`t happen overnight.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the name says, thickas. I got a 4500 about 2 years after they where released. My mate i do most of my detecting got his earlier. Through all the trips,conversations,testing and effort he put into me to help me understand the machine is greatly appreciated and will never be forgoten. Last weekend after more effort from my mate the penny finally droped. After spending half the day playing with setting again i finally got the machine to find a target I knew was there (thanks again mate) that I previously could not hear. I have never been happier and wait to get out again. I also think some of the articals i have read on this forum helped as well. It goes to show the true value of freinds. Lets go detecting.

I've had the 4500 for just over a year. I found the amount of settings confusing so started out on factory settings. Just hold the on/off switch down on startup. Once started select ALL settings on the rear panel. If it's runnning very quietly you can turn up the RX Gain a little, do a frequency scan, ground balance and set your threshold if you wish. Then away you go. The other settings can be tampered with once you're more familiar with the machine.

7.62marksman said:
Mate i have an xterra 705 i am still learning so i understand where you are coming from
Takes a long time then the penny just seems to drop
However i have only had a half penny drop so far :lol:
Reminds me of an old rhyme. Here i sit broken hearted, paid my penny and only far----. Being a new member Ill leave it there. Dont want to push boundaries yet

Moneybox said:
I've had the 4500 for just over a year. I found the amount of settings confusing so started out on factory settings. Just hold the on/off switch down on startup. Once started select ALL settings on the rear panel. If it's runnning very quietly you can turn up the RX Gain a little, do a frequency scan, ground balance and set your threshold if you wish. Then away you go. The other settings can be tampered with once you're more familiar with the machine.
I did exactly that for years but you cant get the best from a detector until you understand what you need to do to get the best from the machine on any day or location

One really valuable bit of advice I got with my 4500, was if you have adjusted your settings, and its still very noisy, or unstable, try dropping the target volume down a bit. I had my target volume set at 17, dropped it to 12, and my machine runs very smoothly now and I'm still picking up very small sub grammers.

davent said:
One really valuable bit of advice I got with my 4500, was if you have adjusted your settings, and its still very noisy, or unstable, try dropping the target volume down a bit. I had my target volume set at 17, dropped it to 12, and my machine runs very smoothly now and I'm still picking up very small sub grammers.
Yer Im about the same now.

A quick update on my progress. I have done 4 trips since the penny finaly droped on running my 4500 quietly. The first 3 trips where spent playing with coils and settings and finding plenty of junk finaly feeling really good about things. On saturday all i had to do was turn the 4500 on give it a quick ground balance and I was of detecting thinking this is great. Three steps later my first target for the day. A very nice target signal that wasnt hard to hear. Seven inch later i had a 1.8gram nugget in my hand and I was totaly over the moon. That was my only nugget for the day as well as a half full rubbish jar. After digging more big holes than I could remember i went home happy but nacked