WA gold trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone just a question do many of you guys ever go on any trips to the goldfields of W.A. and if so for how long and has it been profitable as much as enjoyable, and are there any tag along people that some take so as to cut costs and learn the art of detecting while enjoying the great outdoors

thanks guys do you think there is much left over there or is just getting harder to find with all the big boys over there

The further you get out from caravan parks and the uglier the better. Most wont venture a day trip past 80km of a caravan prk. 5 nights out, and head back in to wash and rest is a good plan at a minimum. Walk the hardest path, that others wouldn't. Some go for years without success, some hit it on there first day!
But good preparation and research is essential.
Forget any any other provider other than telstra, or sat phone.
You can be totaly on your own out there, and if you get stuck...... and your not mechanically minded and have some bush skills, you can be ......... dead if not careful.
Or stick to the main roads like many do. Hence the catch of worked areas.
But seen an ounce pulled out of the ground only a meters from a main dirt track.
Luck, effort,passion and persistence, if you dont have this that..... dont go

all good advice, but as a newbie with no or little experience detecting, i feel maybe if i could go out with someone on a weekend and watch and learn that way i could fathom what it would take to invest in a good detector. I have camped in the bush before and have many skills, it's only i don't have any camping gear or 4x4 or van, you might say fresh as, but a quick learner. I have looked at some of the tours, big money outlay, and you still have to have your own gear,food,water and sleeping arrangements. If i was to go on a tour it would have to be all included food,water,sleeping and hire and lessons of a detector, i don't know if i have the full on passion but i am intrigued enough to be honest to the point as to inquire, i can be persistant aswell otherwise maybe go with someone that can show and maybe teach and share the costs of the trip or pay someone one on one for training with their detector on a gold trip, that way they makes some money aswell as share of costs what's your thoughts on this

We have a meet up coming over Queens Bday weekend. If you can you might want to attend. A lot can be learned.

dazza1234 said:
all good advice, but as a newbie with no or little experience detecting, i feel maybe if i could go out with someone on a weekend and watch and learn that way i could fathom what it would take to invest in a good detector. I have camped in the bush before and have many skills, it's only i don't have any camping gear or 4x4 or van, you might say fresh as, but a quick learner. I have looked at some of the tours, big money outlay, and you still have to have your own gear,food,water and sleeping arrangements. If i was to go on a tour it would have to be all included food,water,sleeping and hire and lessons of a detector, i don't know if i have the full on passion but i am intrigued enough to be honest to the point as to inquire, i can be persistant aswell otherwise maybe go with someone that can show and maybe teach and share the costs of the trip or pay someone one on one for training with their detector on a gold trip, that way they makes some money aswell as share of costs what's your thoughts on this

Hi Dazza,

there are a few FIFO tours over here but you'll still need to bring your own bedding (pillow, sleeping bag etc) but yep they are pricey.
A weekend wont cut it though, usually they are 5 to 10 days or more, the longer the better.

You could also put an ad up on gumtree. You'd be surprised to find there are some privateers out there that do have all the kit and don't mind a bit of company if you share the costs and just want the experience to learn how it's done. I did it a couple years ago and although I didn't mind being solo in the middle of nowhere after a couple weeks out bush I found myself talking to things I don't normally converse with. Was my queue to head into town for supplies. Would have been nice to share the experience with someone else serious about finding the yellow not to mention you can improve your odds working as a team.

dazza1234 said:
all good advice, but as a newbie with no or little experience detecting, i feel maybe if i could go out with someone on a weekend and watch and learn that way i could fathom what it would take to invest in a good detector....../...i don't know if i have the full on passion but i am intrigued enough to be honest to the point as to inquire...

Look into finding a nearby local detector club, intro yourself, and take it from there....no $$ down, save for the fuel to get you there & perhaps a ph call or two...

Hi GysyGoldAu i have tried to find a club near me but had no success yet i live on the sth side of brisbane

Hi Patrick1 can you tell me where the meet up is on the queens birthday weekend what time look forward to attending

Hi Patrick1 that's a little bit to far at the moment as i live up in queensland. but thank you for inviting me, hope it all goes well cheers

A cpl of links you may find help from with a bit of calling/emails..

http://queenslandprospectingclub.org/

The above may have a list of 'regional' clubs ....also, be aware, at 'some' gold prospectors clubs, many also gem and relic hunt, so more info for that side of things..

http://www.mineral.org.au/clubs/clubs.html

This has state regional listings for lapidary, but some members may also attend a gold prospecting club...
( actually, scroll down below the 'Guilds" listing for expanded entries)

Cheers

Latest posts