Compare black hawk metal detector by okm to Minelab GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have been looking at the black hawk metal detector by okm, does anyone have one and how does it compare with price and abiliaty with the minelab gpx series in australian conditions
cheers
Dazza1234

Mate, just get a gpx, you can get it serviced locally, get coils,and all sorts of other accessories on Gumtree, e bay, or any prospecting store.
The okm sounds good on paper, but am yet to hear of any one using one in Australia.
The gpx,s just work.

Thanks for the info, so what am i looking at for a good 2nd hand 4500 price wise and get a original i have heard it is a good machine some even saying better than 5000

Hey Dazza. Deciding what to buy will drive you nuts :/

Before even thinking about opening the wallet do your research as to what you are going to chase, where, how much of whatever you expect to find, blah, blah, blah and then hire the models you have narrowed it down to. That's my best advice ;)

The rest is just stuff that I have learn't on here along the way.

SDC - decent price, wireless with the Pro Sonic or others, not entry level as far as performance but really basic to use - the machine does the hard yards. Lots of people have found lots of gold with them although mainly small pieces. And I know where you might be able to buy one in a month or so ;) ;)

GPX series - never used one but I get the feeling they have a really large learning curve - especially if starting from scratch. Extremely versatile considering massive coil options. Happy for someone to correct me on this info.

GPZ - awesome machine. Massive outlay. Reasonably easy to learn with a bit of reading and trial and error.

Gold Monster - an unknown but a reasonable price, provides discrimination capabilities, will be interesting to see reports if it ever actually gets on a shelf.

And in your Intro you mentioned chasing WW2 relics, etc. The above machines are gold machines, not relic/coin/treasure machines although they will obviously detect them. But something like a CTX 3030 then gives you target information that the gold machines don't.

And then there are all the other manufacturers. VLF, PI, ZVT??? The detectorprospector forum also has a lot of good information re: different technologies - but you could honestly read for 6 months and be more confused than at the start :D :D

But as I said at the start, I think basically deciding on what is going to suit your needs and then hiring those machines or going out with a club is the go. You might not actually like detecting :eek: :eek:

Best of luck with your decision. :Y:

Upside said:
old hand said:
NEW $3400 $3500 the new 4500 are a better detector than the early models

I thought the new 4500s are the same as the old?

Apparently not quite - Jonathan Porter commented somewhere online, confirming what some users had suspected, that there are a couple of minor improvements in the 4500 reissues (faster ground balancing, smoother/more stable operation), that were originally incorporated in the GPX5000.

That's correct grubstake that report was on gold detecting and prospecting forum some time ago, just got back from a short detect with 2 pieces using the standard DD what else could you ask for regards john :Y:

old hand said:
That's correct grubstake that report was on gold detecting and prospecting forum some time ago, just got back from a short detect with 2 pieces using the standard DD what else could you ask for regards john :Y:

Thanks, John - I knew I'd read it somewhere, but looked on several forums without success; now you've guided me straight to it: :Y:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24559-older-gpx4500-versus-newer-version-gpx4500
(JP's post is about halfway down the thread)

The way it works is the new 4500 is the same exact design as the original (no extra feature sets), but is using 'different' supply chain for components, and as a result, a cleaner Tx/Rx/Audio responses are obtained....that some of the design components are utilized in the 5000, is not to say the 4500 is using 5000 parts to be 'better'....it is just 2nd/3rd Gen electronics giving a cleaner 'cycle' which results in better filtering...

Essentially, the 1st Gen 4500 is the same as the Gen. 2 version, the latter just inherited 'smoother' operating components and the improvements are a consequence of technology....actually, it's just like going from solid rubber tyres to air....same components designed differently for more efficiency (and cheaper...)

As i understand it...

Gypsy

Hi Northeast
thanks for your reply, i suggested gold hunting and relics aswell thinking is there a detector that covers both, save on money all in one instead of 2, but i would like to hunt for gold, so as to finiance my relic hunt in the future, joining a club is what i would like to do, hey it might not be for me but i have been thinking about gold hunting on and off for a while now, so may be the easiest way to learn is to go out with someone and see

Latest posts