Australian national anthem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ok best get back on topic ................... now when you speak of settlers / invaders are you referring to what the European settlers did to the aborigines or what those aborigines ancestors who invaded from India / Ceylon did to the original Papuan Aborigines of Australia when they invaded ? Just want to make sure we are on the same track :eek:

Bogger said:
Ok ok best get back on topic ................... now when you speak of settlers / invaders are you referring to what the European settlers did to the aborigines or what those aborigines ancestors who invaded from India / Ceylon did to the original Papuan Aborigines of Australia when they invaded ? Just want to make sure we are on the same track :eek:

No mate I am talking about the First Europeans, because they seemed to be the ones who made the biggest impact on Australia's history,

John.

This is just going to go round and round guys....We all have different opinions and no one opinion will be right....we will all stand up and fight for what our personal beliefs are........I've lernt recently its best to just respect each others right ......to have thier own opinions ... :Y: GO THE XTERRA 705 :Y: :lol:

I feel we who were born in Australia have a responsibility to make right the wrongs of our ancestors.

I feel no need to say sorry but I do think we need to show more respect to the original owners of this land.

I think our government needs to do more to help them regain their culture.

I would love to see a group of Elders from all corners of Australia and all cultures come together and come up with a new national anthem,helping us all move forward together.

I don't, But I do think we need to make All Aussies equal, we don't need to be making special allowances just because what happened 300 years ago, It is what it is and we are in it together, Special rules and allowances will just cause even bigger us and them type situation, It's the rules for one and rules for another that has caused the divide in the first place, And as such is not working together as One nation.

John.

Ridge Runner said:
I don't, But I do think we need to make All Aussies equal, we don't need to be making special allowances just because what happened 300 years ago, It is what it is and we are in it together, Special rules and allowances will just cause even bigger us and them type situation, It's the rules for one and rules for another that has caused the divide in the first place, And as such is not working together as One nation.

John.
Dont you mean our rules and way of life forced upon them....forced to comply to the white mans Christian way of living .....or be killed or enslaved...babys and children taken from their families never to be seen again ...young girls put into orphanages to learn the white mans way of life....and the young boys put to work on farms... Just because we thought that their way of life was uncivilized...And thats just from the 40s and 50s ...not to mention what happened before then...No we dont need to say sorry...But whats wrong with recognizing the atrocities that were committed by our government and to continue to make amends for those wrongs.. .I could go on and on but i wont contribute to this thread anymore :Y: :Y: Dam i couldn't even take my own advice :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.
Dont you mean our rules and way of life forced upon them....forced to comply to the white mans Christian way of living .....or be killed or enslaved...babys and children taken from their families never to be seen again ...young girls put into orphanages to learn the white mans way of life....and the young boys put to work on farms... Just because we thought that their way of life was uncivilized....No we dont need to say sorry...But whats wrong with recognizing the atrocities that were committed by our government and to continue to make amends for those wrongs.. .I could go on forever but you wont listen anyway :Y: Dam i couldn't even take my own advice :Y:

No, Because you are talking about what happened 70 odd years ago,

We already recognized those atrocities even though that was not my fault either because I was not born yet, And we don't need to keep recognizing them, We already did that, If you want to feel guilty for what our ancestors did you go right ahead, But I am not going to say sorry keep saying sorry for the crimes of others, What happened was terrible but I had nothing to do with it.

The people who do need to apologize are the ones who took part in it and the ones who profited out of it,

People need to stop living in the past and learn by it and work out a way to make life better for everyone, This has been going on since before the 70s and people keep saying sorry but do nothing about it, I am not saying people should forget about it but they should stop living in the past because while they are living in the past they can not focus on the future.

John.

I understand what you are saying John.
I think the text is just making you sound cold heartless... When you actually have good intentions and refuse to be held to ransom for the sins of the past.

So what would you suggest is a good way to move forward?

LC76 said:
I understand what you are saying John.
I think the text is just making you sound cold heartless... When you actually have good intentions and refuse to be held to ransom for the sins of the past.

So what would you suggest is a good way to move forward?

Personally I would give them all the freedoms and rights that we enjoy, because how can they be part of anything if they are excluded and governments etc put Labels on them, They are human beings like the rest of us and they don't need labelling or locating to certain patches of land, I understand that they might not want to be part of our ways, but that should be their choice not ours but at leased they should have the right to pick and choose like we do,

Their knowledge is so vast and handed down over thousands of years, they could teach us so much and vice versa, But alienating people we all loose out, We give New Australians more scope than we do the Aboriginal People and I think there is something seriously wrong with that.

John.

Bogger said:

Was hoping someone would make this point and if was not the British colonising this great country it would have been the Dutch or Portuguese probably with a similar outcome but without the majority of us here to debate it.
I see the actions of the early British settlers blinded by religious belief thinking their way of life was superior thus giving them the right to force on the population. This was wrong and unfortunately the same way of thinking is causing the current problems the world faces and is better suited to the dark ages.

As a fifth generation Australian of British descendency the worst thing I believe " we " may have done was to introduce " the grog " the impact on the Aboriginal people has been devastating and fuelled the stigma which divides white and black Australia today.
A shining light has been the trial in Ceduna SA where welfare cards restricting the purchase of alcohol has seen violent crime reduced dramatically and seen as a life saver by Aboriginal elders and women's association.

Cheers

a lot of white Australian born people are worse off than anyone! Aboriginals get the best of both worlds, yes they were shafted in early years and thats terrible the things that they went through but now they have their choice of white man's or their own way of life, imports get money and a roof over their head just for being excepted into this country.

so who is really getting the short end of the stick!

im so sick of reading and hearing about all the poor bastards who have been shafted when really they are better off than a lot of white Australians.

i also dont require a permit for anyone to enter my part of this country!

I have been watching the issues about the Grog etc since the 1970s, and every thing that needs doing or sorting out for them takes years to get in motion, Most of us do not know exactly what they do get, and most of what we do know is 2nd or 3rd hand gossip via the tabloids, As to what is fact or fiction is not clear and I have been hearing about how they get more than me since the early 80's, Nothing as yet is set in stone.

What they need is what suits their lives and not what we think they need,

Latest posts